logo amplifiers simplified

Craver Ships Look Rediculous

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 22, 2013, 2:52:44 PM
Solentis wrote:
I'm listening.

I found a few oddities on page 28 with the Craver Heroes, though they may have been copy/pasted from the game itself. Idar Restless has an "M" at the end of the first paragraph, and Apolla Sundered reads "was-capable" on the second/third line.

I'm a bit of a grammar nazi, so I could point out plenty of other grammatical quirks, but I fear overstepping some implied boundary in doing so XD;
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 1, 2013, 1:08:55 AM
Stealth_Hawk wrote:
Most of us don't think anything needs to be changed, I think.

I agree with this!!!!!!!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 1, 2013, 8:42:15 AM
Sorry but I dont see the issue?

I dont think its unheard of that races (humans in particular) used designs they consider "elegant" or "beautyfull" regardless if the forms have a practical use or not. The wing designs dont look realistic anyway to be effective, put two wooden boards to an object and it wont fly. The wings have to be formed a specific way in order to catch updraft. No, I think the bird-like design is there to accomodate the races view on war or possibly to strike fear into the enemy.

Hmm re-reading the OP I m not sure we r talking about ship-design.....
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 3:02:44 PM
Your complaint is somewhat... particular, but understandable to a degree.

However, I must disagree with your argument and present a counter argument, as there are two possible uses for Craver wings in space (that I can think of)

1. (the less likely possibility)

Physicists (back in the day) encountered a similar problem to yours when they were attempting to determine how light travels through a void. After all, all waves must oscillate a medium in order to propel themselves, like sound waves compress and oscillate air in order to move.

But what is there to oscillate in space? Just like your point of there is nothing to support the wings in space.

According to some of the Maxwell equations, an object can propel itself through many (if not all) mediums by oscillating electric and magnetic fields. This is now the generally accepted view of how light moves, which basically entails that light contains alternating patterns of perpendicular electric and magnetic fields.

Now, if one of the Craver wings on one side of its body was generating and electric field, and its counterpart on the mirror side of said drone was magnetic, (with as many more pairs of wings like this as the Endless designed) the Craver could potentially propel itself with these oscillating fields, provided the wings rotated and translated in the right fashion.

Like I said, that's a long shot. But with the Virtual Endless engineering the Cravers, who knows just who complex they are.

2. (The more probable and more basic option)

The Cravers had wings originally so that they could fly around their exceedingly dense atmosphere of their home world*.

It is possible that in space, they flap their wings out of either a primitive instinct, or a primitive idea that space has oxygen to fly on. Probably the former.

If this were the case, they would flap their wings in space to no avail, however they would have an entirely different means of propulsion. (Such as emanating particles in order to utilize the Law of Momentum Conservation and mover around)

I hope this helps answer your question.

By the way, to answer your first question: Craver drones/workers are what are flying around the ships. And its rude to suggest someone be fired over something as little as that smiley: stickouttongue

*From the Endless Space Artbook
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 6:31:14 PM
If you don't want a swarm of bats around your ship then we will never be able to understand each other.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 9:28:13 PM
@ Stealth_Hawk: Classic analogy. You definitely earned my badge of honor for that explanation. And if your explanation is close, I don't think I want to know about the Cravers then. lol

But I highly doubt the animator was thing of that when he designed it. It just looks dumb. Would have been better to have a swarm of nano-bites. Ask yourself this, what looks cooler, a swarm of nano-bites or flappy birds around a freakin space ship, lol.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 9:40:59 PM
I'm guessing they can survive in space and they're kinda messy and always flying around like those creatures in Star Wars Ep 2. I'm just imagining a ships with thousands of them flying around and somehow doing an moorland job for the hive, like ants.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 9:41:57 PM
Bad213Boy wrote:

But I highly doubt the animator was thing of that when he designed it.

Probably didn't think of electromagnetic fields Before he put the wing animation in, anyway lol

Bad213Boy wrote:

It just looks dumb. Would have been better to have a swarm of nano-bites. Ask yourself this, what looks cooler, a swarm of nano-bites or flappy birds around a freakin space ship, lol.

I agree it could be done better, such as they could swarm around recently damaged parts of the ships as if they are trying to repair the damage, but I like the flapping wings lol but thats just me.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 10, 2013, 7:44:46 PM
Cravers are such a cool looking race. I just have a hard time looking at those crazy ships. Do something please. Maybe even make an on/off switch for those ugly beasts. lol
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 10, 2013, 8:44:48 PM
I like that look for the cravers. I am guessing that those items are flies.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 11, 2013, 12:00:48 AM
I have always seen them as the Cravers themselves.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 11, 2013, 1:04:03 AM
Nope, they are Cravers....possibly with jet packs.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 11, 2013, 1:29:41 AM
They are Cravers, so don't feel bad about the shots you miss during a broadside.

It's likely you still killed a few of them from impact.

Edit: And considering that they are a hivemind, you could still say that they are drones smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 1:54:35 PM
Sorry this is something that's been bugging me. What exactly is flying around the Craver ships? Whom ever decided to allow flying bird like creatures around a ship should be fired. Where to begin. First off, the idea of using any kind of winged creature in space with that kind of animation is completely ridiculous, mechanical or organic. What ever they are, to be bouncing around like that, there needs to be air underneath wings. Last time I checked, space doesn't have air. If the effect was to create a plume of nano-bites, it failed big time. The animation should have been a smoky cloud around the ships then. Throw in some moving black specs and you have nano-bites.

The Producer should have taken that animation out entirely until it was poshed. If it was rushed, then it should have been held back for a patch or DLC. This would have changed nothing with the game.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 11, 2013, 2:14:54 AM
Could be artificial wings, or just what craver jet packs look like (Jetting in every direction as you are in space.)
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment