Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

The Completely Useless Power Module

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 6:39:43 PM
I did the calculations based on my current game. The results will tell you the minimum amount of weapons needed to make Power Module viable.

Battleship

Total Weapon Module Damage:

Weapon Module Damage x Projectiles x Number of Weapon Modules = Total Weapon Module Damage

Total Power Module Damage: Power Module = +35%

Weapon Module Damage x 0.35 = Total Power Module Damage

Total Damage:

Total Damage = Total Weapon Module Damage + Total Power Module Damage

I used the following technology as the control because it's what I have in my current game. Typing up the calculation in an Excel spread sheet, the following results show the amount of Weapon Modules you need for making the Power Module worth it. All calculations assume 100% accuracy.

Kinetic Module - Isotopes (M):

35 Kinetic Modules = 5265 Damage

26 Kinetic Modules + Power Module = 5343 Damage

Beam Module - Pinch Guns (MR):

35 Beam Modules = 8400 Damage

26 Beam Modules + Power Module = 8424 Damage

Missile Module - Plasma (LR):

35 Missile Modules = 21000 Damage

26 Missile Modules + Power Module = 21060 Damage

Conclusion:

Currently, Power Modules are not worth it. I believe when Disharmony was released, the Power Module was not adjusted accordingly. Similar to how we don't see Flak animations anymore. Pre-Disharmony allowed ship designs to have 10 Weapons and 10 Defense. Perhaps before you were able to sacrifice some defense for the Power Module, but now it's clearly not worth it. Granted the Power Module also gives +15% on all Defense Modules, but that's nothing when you only need 3 Defense Modules to block 75%. It's clear to me now that nobody even bothered looking at the Power Module and Engine Module (same tonnage as Power Module). They just assumed it was fine after releasing Disharmony.

To make the Power module viable again, the tonnage needs to be reduced by 40-50%. Another alternative would be to increase the Min/Max damage by 125%. Developers need to pick a ship design, figure out how many Weapon Modules they want, and then pick out at least 2 out of the 3 Support Modules (Power Modules, Engine Module, Repair Module) with the addition of 2-3 Shield, 3 Flak, and 1-2 Armor.

Attached is a copy of my Excel spread sheet if someone wants to play around with the numbers. You only have to adjust A1 and B1 for different weapon values, the rest is all done using formulas.
ES - Weapon Damage.rar
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 5:33:04 PM
I never use it. It might have started out as a great idea in earlier versions, but now the Power Modules is useless to me IMO. It might be worth it on a Dreadnought if you loaded it up with just weapons. I can't be sure because I don't have the total possible damage for each scenario in front of me. I say bring back the Cargo Mod and get rid of this one.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 4:41:30 PM
The power modules that boost fleet power can be really good, especially since they also boost critical chance as well as damage. I never use early power modules though.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 8, 2013, 3:13:17 PM
since the expansion, never used the power module, and i barely used it before also, seems pretty pointless waste of space for the large tonnage useage
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment