Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Change single ships into small (or not so small) flotillas

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 2:47:22 PM
The idea came up when I watched the video linked in this thread. Ever felt that it was somehow unrealistic for your mighty system-spanning empire to be in possession of just 10 to 20 ships? Have you ever felt that there were actually no epic destiny deciding clashes of massive fleets, but only mere skirmishes between a handful of vessels?

If the answer is yes, you will certainly like the idea. The suggestion is simple. Instead of a ship (in terms of strategic view, i.d. galaxy view, building queue etc) being represented by only one ship in the tactical view, i.d. combat situations, allow for n ships. Let each built ship be in fact a small flotilla whose size is possibly adjustable in the options, so players can match it with what their system can and cannot do (there exists a similar option in most of the total war games, if I remember correctly). One can of course scale this factor n by the general size of the huls produced, meaning that you built 10 of the smallest class with each unit, 5 of the next higher, and only 1 huge dreadnaught like ship with each order or so.

This is of course merely a cosmetical thing, but it adds a lot of atmosphere in my opinion.

That way battles would just seem more plausible and - let's face it - awesome.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 3:01:20 PM
Apotheosys wrote:
The idea came up when I watched the video linked in this thread. Ever felt that it was somehow unrealistic for your mighty system-spanning empire to be in possession of just 10 to 20 ships? Have you ever felt that there were actually no epic destiny deciding clashes of massive fleets, but only mere skirmishes between a handful of vessels?

If the answer is yes, you will certainly like the idea. The suggestion is simple. Instead of a ship (in terms of strategic view, i.d. galaxy view, building queue etc) being represented by only one ship in the tactical view, i.d. combat situations, allow for n ships. Let each built ship be in fact a small flotilla whose size is possibly adjustable in the options, so players can match it with what their system can and cannot do (there exists a similar option in most of the total war games, if I remember correctly). One can of course scale this factor n by the general size of the huls produced, meaning that you built 10 of the smallest class with each unit, 5 of the next higher, and only 1 huge dreadnaught like ship with each order or so.

This is of course merely a cosmetical thing, but it adds a lot of atmosphere in my opinion.

That way battles would just seem more plausible and - let's face it - awesome.

Thank you for your suggestion however this has already been suggested and is listed on summary list under Game Play > General > Fleet Composition Effect
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 4:37:58 PM
ahh, okay. I went through the list beforehand, but didn't recognize the entry as what it is. Thanks.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment