Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Do you think dreadnoughts are cost effective?

Yes, dreadnoughts are fine.
No, but should stay the same regardless.
They should be changed and I agree with your solutions.
They should be changed, but not with your ideas.
Other, post in thread.
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 25, 2012, 5:08:58 AM
Dreadnoughts should probably get a larger discount on Defense modules. They need to take a lot more punishment, but there's no reason for them to do more damage than other ships; like Ganpot said, they're unlikely to destroy many ships in a battle anyway.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 11:56:21 PM
I have no idea why people would agree that dreadnaughts are not cost-effective, then say they want them to stay that way. It literally doesn't make sense to me smiley: confused.

I agree with your basic idea, but the module size reduction needs to be bigger than 7%. Why? Because every ship can only target one other ship per phase, which means a Dreadnaught can only kill 3 ships in a single battle. On the other hand, 4 Destroyers can kill 12 ships per battle. Additionally, Dreadnaughts cost a TON of time/money to build. Systems which take 2 turns to build a Dreadnaught can pump out 4-5 equivalent Destroyers per turn instead. All of this makes Dreadnaughts basically useless. So I recommend Dreadnaughts get a 15-20% reduction bonus to all module sizes, as well as increased starting storage space.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 11:43:33 PM
Beefhater wrote:

it would be better if the dreadnoughts have a bonus on support- and offensivmodules

or on support- defensivemodules.

A full 20-25% discount on two types of modules?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 9:11:27 PM
in my opinion there miss something on the dreadnoughts and thats defently the specification on an module type

but a jack of all trades isnt the best solution

it would be better if the dreadnoughts have a bonus on support- and offensivmodules

or on support- defensivemodules

but i prefer my first suggestion because there is already a good ship with bonus on defensiv modules(my favorite ship by the way)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 7:49:17 PM
Well, in realistic terms, at least so far as we can predict: Dreadnoughts ought to be the most efficient ship by a significant margin. There is little reason that mounting lots of long range guns on the largest, greatest power output platform that you can find wouldn't be far superior to any other combat strategy.

A cool solution might be redistributing the hit probabilities for each ship class, rather than basing it solely on the combat phase and the weapon round. That way you could simulate a dreadnought's long range guns deriving an advantage without neccessarily having to make many other changes.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 4:08:23 PM
I consider Dreadnoughts pretty crappy. I've come to find uses for the cruisers. There efficiencies combined with defensive heroes can let them take a lot of punishment, even against all destroyer fleets. But the dreadnought is even more outnumbered and doesn't get the equivalent efficiencies to help it out. It serves no purpose that 2 ships can't serve better.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 12:44:22 PM
I too like the current dreadnaughts, big heads of the fleet, but not efficient warships.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 12:42:12 PM
Personally, I love the Dreads in the game. Once I unlock them, my main war Heroes all get dumped at the head of Dreadnought fleets. Two or three fleets of five Dreadnoughts (the most I can play as the vanilla Sheredyn faction) and one Destroyers (because why not? smiley: stickouttongue ), as well as their support fleets of Battleships and Cruisers...

I rarely have trouble with this. I might lose a Dreadnought every now and then, but that usually is only after a good number of battles in a row, and I've been sloppy picking cards or with auto battles, and this not letting them heal.

And Chibiabos, while you are right about that being the origin of the term, "Dreadnought" has simply come to mean so much more in sci-fi. They're now the huge, often lumbering, capital ships of fleets with the most guns, the biggest guns, tend to have the admiral aboard, and can really wreck your day.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 9:05:28 AM
Chibiabos wrote:
Do you even know the origin of the term, not what its abused to be? They aren't super-battleships, they were pre-battleships. They were actually named for the HMS Dreadnought. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_battleship

I wasn't talking about the German warships that came around on Earth a few decades ago, I was referring to the massive warships present in the future of Endless Space. Battleships take up two command points while Dreadnoughts require four, clearly and vividly displaying the intention for them to be the big guns of the fleet.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 8:37:46 AM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
I was thinking about that, but it's probably not the best solution, since Dreadnoughts are supposed to be worth those 4CP. If they're only worth 3, they're not really "Dreadnoughts." It would be better to buff them more than to debuff them and reduce their CP value.

Do you even know the origin of the term, not what its abused to be? They aren't super-battleships, they were pre-battleships. They were actually named for the HMS Dreadnought. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_battleship
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 4:07:05 AM
Chibiabos wrote:
Have you considered reducing Dreadnaughts from 4 to 3 CP?

I was thinking about that, but it's probably not the best solution, since Dreadnoughts are supposed to be worth those 4CP. If they're only worth 3, they're not really "Dreadnoughts." It would be better to buff them more than to debuff them and reduce their CP value.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 4:01:12 AM
I don't play them much, but theoretically they don't need extra HP buffs. If a battleship has 2000 HP, then 20% extra would be +400 HP. If a Dreadnought has 4000 HP, then 20% extra would be +800 HP. The bigger the base value the greater the increase.

Of course, other players may feel differently.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment