Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[EXP] System Invasion

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Apr 22, 2013, 12:55:03 AM
So like a militia?

Don't planets come with a natural invasion defence anyway? I feel like that is already included.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 22, 2013, 6:01:19 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Conscription?
That would be an awesome mechanic. You force your populace to fight for their planet, and depending on if you are a military faction or not... your results could vary. At the same time, you also remove population points from the planet for the conquering forces.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 22, 2013, 6:52:02 PM
I suppose at the cost of massive casualty's as well then?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 22, 2013, 7:22:51 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
I suppose at the cost of massive casualty's as well then?
No doubt. The Hissho, U.E., and Sheredyn might take less causalities with this tactic, but not by much. Ordinary citizens fighting a trained and well armed military force will lose. Now if you take into account a prolonged invasion, then the case might be different. This could be a lot of fun, but I doubt they'd be able to implement this mechanic into the game without a whole expansion just for ground invasions.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 24, 2013, 3:05:14 AM
I know it's probably low on the list of priorities... But I'd love a Cut-Scene Manual Fight similar to the Space Battles. Not just two sides shooting each other on the planet, but perhaps defenders using defensive buildings you've built and stuff like that.

Actions could be attempting to defeat the Invaders or Hunker Down and resist for as long as possible in the hope stuff arrives to save them. This could make building defensive buildings interesting and more than just a stat you want to improve to resist the inevitable invasion attempts.

But as for the Cut-Scene, it needs to be as interesting and varied as possible. While I loved the Space Combat scenes, you know how they play out and just auto it with optimum cards. Perhaps if you have a Hero Attached, you can see him bombing defences if he/she is a pilot. You could see them surrounded by communication equipment and other staff ordering X and Y while bombs go off all around - This is if they are a Commander. If they are an Adventurer they can be leading a Charge out of some trenches or cover towards an enemy position.

You'd be surprised how stuff like that can make a big difference. The main problem I kept seeing with Endless Space (From Critics) was lack of variation in Space Combat. If you have a Hero leading a Fleet or an Invasion Force, have different victory scenes for each "military type" they are and the same for defeats. You want to feel attached to your heroes. I do when I know I need to keep my Administrator and Corporate System Helper to the edge of my territory to help the building of defences or ships, but I need to get this system up to date with my others. You know, people want stories, stories of heroic Last Stands or brilliant ability choices to defeat a superior powered opponent or whatever. The closest any game has come close to a personal story of Heroes or Generals or Leaders (so on so forth) was March of the Eagles, which had detailed battle reports after each one you took part in. It's only words, but it gives a mental image of charges and manoeuvres.... However Endless Space took it further and put it as a Cut-Scene! Not only that but you could make ships have different load-outs and watch them fight. Asking for the implementation of an ability to build an entire spaceship, both shape and size, would be too much. However I don't think the extra scenes are too much trouble....

There are lots of other things. Like maybe designing Troops like you design Spaceships. You just chose an Armour (Ship) type then add support systems and weapons and so on. Like, you create a soldier/unit which has Basic Armour and Basic Weaponry, who will be used en-massed to invade planets. You then design weak armoured but powerful sniper type soldiers to help Basic Troopers (maybe with debuffs and so on) You then create a soldier which has a huge metal suit (or whatever) that is heavily armoured, shielded and also has huge weapons. These can be used for weakening defensive buildings to speed up capture.

You can then move on to Armoured Vehicles....

I'm sorry I'm randomly posting this, I am also sorry if it's the wrong place for it. I am sorry if I've derailed the thread or upset anybody. I've just started playing Endless Space again and I still love it, even since release.... Anyway, keep up the good work guys and gals. I look forward to any development!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 24, 2013, 12:00:54 PM
Troublehalf wrote:
I know it's probably low on the list of priorities... But I'd love a Cut-Scene Manual Fight similar to the Space Battles. Not just two sides shooting each other on the planet, but perhaps defenders using defensive buildings you've built and stuff like that.

Actions could be attempting to defeat the Invaders or Hunker Down and resist for as long as possible in the hope stuff arrives to save them. This could make building defensive buildings interesting and more than just a stat you want to improve to resist the inevitable invasion attempts.

But as for the Cut-Scene, it needs to be as interesting and varied as possible. While I loved the Space Combat scenes, you know how they play out and just auto it with optimum cards. Perhaps if you have a Hero Attached, you can see him bombing defences if he/she is a pilot. You could see them surrounded by communication equipment and other staff ordering X and Y while bombs go off all around - This is if they are a Commander. If they are an Adventurer they can be leading a Charge out of some trenches or cover towards an enemy position.

You'd be surprised how stuff like that can make a big difference. The main problem I kept seeing with Endless Space (From Critics) was lack of variation in Space Combat. If you have a Hero leading a Fleet or an Invasion Force, have different victory scenes for each "military type" they are and the same for defeats. You want to feel attached to your heroes. I do when I know I need to keep my Administrator and Corporate System Helper to the edge of my territory to help the building of defences or ships, but I need to get this system up to date with my others. You know, people want stories, stories of heroic Last Stands or brilliant ability choices to defeat a superior powered opponent or whatever. The closest any game has come close to a personal story of Heroes or Generals or Leaders (so on so forth) was March of the Eagles, which had detailed battle reports after each one you took part in. It's only words, but it gives a mental image of charges and manoeuvres.... However Endless Space took it further and put it as a Cut-Scene! Not only that but you could make ships have different load-outs and watch them fight. Asking for the implementation of an ability to build an entire spaceship, both shape and size, would be too much. However I don't think the extra scenes are too much trouble....

There are lots of other things. Like maybe designing Troops like you design Spaceships. You just chose an Armour (Ship) type then add support systems and weapons and so on. Like, you create a soldier/unit which has Basic Armour and Basic Weaponry, who will be used en-massed to invade planets. You then design weak armoured but powerful sniper type soldiers to help Basic Troopers (maybe with debuffs and so on) You then create a soldier which has a huge metal suit (or whatever) that is heavily armoured, shielded and also has huge weapons. These can be used for weakening defensive buildings to speed up capture.

You can then move on to Armoured Vehicles....

I'm sorry I'm randomly posting this, I am also sorry if it's the wrong place for it. I am sorry if I've derailed the thread or upset anybody. I've just started playing Endless Space again and I still love it, even since release.... Anyway, keep up the good work guys and gals. I look forward to any development!
Yea, that would be nice, but I think it would be a low priority for them as well as a high cost too.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 2, 2013, 2:16:15 PM
Hey Devs, how are you planning the graphical representation of land invasions?

I recently tried the new 4x game Stardrive - it's idea of land invasion is nice, but is horribly realized. I wouldn't want Endless Space to go the same way smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 2, 2013, 5:27:42 PM
Pietrak wrote:
Hey Devs, how are you planning the graphical representation of land invasions?

I recently tried the new 4x game Stardrive - it's idea of land invasion is nice, but is horribly realized. I wouldn't want Endless Space to go the same way smiley: smile

My guess is that it would resemble the ship to ship combat now. I only wish they had more variants for that, not the one and only combat screen.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 2, 2013, 5:51:04 PM
Nasarog wrote:
My guess is that it would resemble the ship to ship combat now. I only wish they had more variants for that, not the one and only combat screen.

It would be cool if the attacker emerged out of the Corona of a star every once in a while, or broke off orbiting a system to engage the defender, not just coming out of warp and letting fly.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 2, 2013, 9:15:42 PM
Stealth_Hawk wrote:
It would be cool if the attacker emerged out of the Corona of a star every once in a while, or broke off orbiting a system to engage the defender, not just coming out of warp and letting fly.
Exactly, and fly past each other, not along side one another. Another thing that would be cool is that if you shot a ship up, it could try to ram you or veer off-course and hit a friendly ship. Maybe if a big enough ship goies, it takes out smaller ships near it. That would justify having more of the dreadnaughts and fewer of the support ships. Just an idea.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 2, 2013, 9:28:59 PM
Nasarog wrote:
Exactly, and fly past each other, not along side one another. Another thing that would be cool is that if you shot a ship up, it could try to ram you or veer off-course and hit a friendly ship. Maybe if a big enough ship goies, it takes out smaller ships near it. That would justify having more of the dreadnaughts and fewer of the support ships. Just an idea.

Going past each other is an excellent idea. Instead of always running alongside one another. I like the second idea too. If a dread goes, it has a chance of inflicting HP damage to the ships around it/Crashing into and inflicting heavy damage to a friendly ship. These would add some nice 'Wild Cards' to the combat mechanism and stop the predictability of battles.

It would also be cool if planet anomalies affected the combat system. Like, EM radiation decreases beam efficiency, while battling around asteroids inhibits Kinetic efficiency, etc.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 2, 2013, 10:24:47 PM
Stealth_Hawk wrote:

It would also be cool if planet anomalies affected the combat system. Like, EM radiation decreases beam efficiency, while battling around asteroids inhibits Kinetic efficiency, etc.

oooooooooo....

I like that. Let's say that the anomaly mitigation removes the effect on the planet, but not system wide.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 2, 2013, 10:33:22 PM
Nasarog wrote:
oooooooooo....

I like that. Let's say that the anomaly mitigation removes the effect on the planet, but not system wide.

Or maybe each star has an anomaly, like 'Debrie field' Or 'EMP radiation'

One that affects missiles could be 'InfaRed Distortion'

Maybe you and I should collaborate on a combat improvement suggestion. It might be good to have someone to bounce off of (I already started writing a suggestion) just a thought. Maybe I could get Sovereign to post it Holy Wall of text style lol

btw I think this thread just got way off topic lol
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 3, 2013, 12:56:29 AM
Stealth_Hawk wrote:
Or maybe each star has an anomaly, like 'Debrie field' Or 'EMP radiation'

One that affects missiles could be 'InfaRed Distortion'

Maybe you and I should collaborate on a combat improvement suggestion. It might be good to have someone to bounce off of (I already started writing a suggestion) just a thought. Maybe I could get Sovereign to post it Holy Wall of text style lol

btw I think this thread just got way off topic lol

I'm game. Should we start another thread, and just bounce ideas off of the proverbial wall to see what sticks?
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 3, 2013, 1:23:24 AM
Nasarog wrote:
I'm game. Should we start another thread, and just bounce ideas off of the proverbial wall to see what sticks?

Neither lets play proverbial catch. lol

OK, non-proverbial language. Let's just collaborate on all the things that could make combat/military better, and post it in a new thread/group blog post.
0Send private message
11 years ago
May 3, 2013, 1:49:50 AM
Stealth_Hawk wrote:
Neither lets play proverbial catch. lol

OK, non-proverbial language. Let's just collaborate on all the things that could make combat/military better, and post it in a new thread/group blog post.
Let's do it.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment