Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Alpha patch cycle ~ direct from main website

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 7:50:55 AM
Having dealt with Valve before, I'm aware of how time consuming / detailed / delaying they can be to get patches live onto the client.

For an alpha, this is obviously not ideal, as you want fast testing, and lots of it. (Do you want to break more?)

So, suggestion - add patches direct via your website. (I'd go further to suggest an alpha / beta only downloader / patcher for the client, which would require a total re-install once you go gold but that might be stretching resources).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 9:05:34 AM
As a person who bought into this game from Steam, please don't follow the above advice. Thank you.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 9:24:14 AM
Beta's on steam work fine (beta for new sins of solar empire updates on time on fri). Guess, he just as a bone to pick against steam.

I vote no change.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 9:56:11 AM
Draknar wrote:
Beta's on steam work fine (beta for new sins of solar empire updates on time on fri). Guess, he just as a bone to pick against steam.

I vote no change.

Actually, they don't, and I have nothing against Steam, I just understand how its system works.

The steam release was over a week ago ~ there's a lot of bugs etc that the dev team are aware of, and claim are fixed 'for next patch'; ideally there'd already be a patch.

AngleWyrm wrote:
As a person who bought into this game from Steam, please don't follow the above advice. Thank you.

You don't seem to understand what I'm suggesting.

The Steam version will be 1.0a ~ and will work fine.

The Amplitude site version will host 1.01a, 1.02a > 1.09a quick fix patches, for people to play with & check if stuff is still broken. Once it's stable / bugs are def. ironed out, you shove 1.1a to Steam. This continues until beta or gold.

It doesn't replace major patches, what it does is allow group QA to go very fast. Although Amplitude has a company (Bulgarian) for QA, given the amount of bugs / exploits in the client atm, a bit of crowd sourcing never hurt anyone('s budget).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 10:04:54 AM
4x_Fan wrote:
Although Amplitude has a company (Bulgarian) for QA, given the amount of bugs / exploits in the client atm, a bit of crowd sourcing never hurt anyone('s budget).

The partner QA company (Greenlink) is Romanian.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment