Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Improve the tutorials

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 5:43:59 AM
The tutorials are more or less only some help pictures atm. It would be really nice to have tutorials like they are done in the Anno series. You have a set of small and simple training missions and each of those missions are really played by the user. The goal of a mission is for example "How to build economy to earn more money", "How to design a fleet", "How to do space fights", "Strategies for Expansion", etc. And of course after completing a tutorial mission the user is allowed to continue playing that mission.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 9:44:03 AM
Although no longer an issue for me the tutorials are rather bland and I completely ignored them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 12:04:37 PM
Yes, interactive tutorials would be useful, but at the same time the UI is very intuitive so I don't think they would need to be of any significant depth.

Just enough to tell you the basics, i always think that self experimentation helps you learn faster
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 3:49:30 PM
You can download the manual from steam which is basicaly the tutorial screans in a PDF and I found it useful for reference.

I agree that the tutorials could use expanding, but right now they should focus on inproving the game systems. Tutorials can wait a while.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 3:54:31 PM
Moreover, if some systems change befor release, the tutorials will have to be redone.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 4:03:00 PM
I don't think the tutorial is that important, because the game mostly explains itself, the manual is great for reference though (I had to look for how to move a fleet, after closing the tutorial page too quickly).

What I would like as an improvement for the tutorial would be an option to reset it, or show the specific pages for a menu egain.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 9, 2012, 5:37:49 PM
If you can design a tutorial that consists of handful screens with text boxes pointing to the different things you can do, AND those are enough to get a player up and running, then you know you've designed the UI correctly. (Think original MOO.) i hate exhaustively narrated tutorials, and the simple missions are usually too constricting for those that want to jump in and play (though Anno did, at least give you some freedom to explore while completing the tutorials.)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 12:04:56 AM
Nornagest wrote:
I don't think the tutorial is that important, because the game mostly explains itself, the manual is great for reference though (I had to look for how to move a fleet, after closing the tutorial page too quickly).

What I would like as an improvement for the tutorial would be an option to reset it, or show the specific pages for a menu egain.

Okay maybe I am just slow or not used to space sims but I found the game to be anything but self explanatory and the tutorials to be very dry and no much fun to read through as opposed to other games that throw you right in and get you playing even in the tutorial. I also find that I learn better be doing or seeing rather than being given instructions.

I feel like if this game wants to have a wide appeal then it really needs to have a good tutorial hands on tutorial that gets the player involved and is newbie friendly.

I also think toggleable advisers who give suggestions would be very help for as I personally found it tough going early on.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 12:29:40 AM
But I liked the tutorials!

They gave a nice explanation of the screens, showing what (nearly) everything does. Short and to the point.

I think maybe the best way to do it at release is to have the tutorials as they are now in the game with the option to turn them off, and then add a tutorial section to the main menu, where those that prefer a hands-on guide can get a feel for the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 4:51:16 AM
My frustration with the tutorial was that i was completely ignorant of some key concepts simply because i didnt click on the relevant tab, or button, or screen etc. I think a very brief walk through of everything would be helpful, followed by more detail once i open the screen, if im not guided there in the first place. I didn't go looking for things, and when i started getting curious I got a tutorial per screen and thought hey, that would be helpful a few turns ago smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 5:35:16 AM
I really like the idea of having one or more advisors which assist you in the game.

For example a military advisor could tell you that the fleet is too small or that we need technology xyz because it will make the fleet better.

An economic advisor could help in getting your finances sorted. And so on.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 10, 2012, 5:56:23 AM
Yesterday I found a point to improve the tutorial experience: The game should be frozen in the background, when the tutorial is displayed (or the time limits for battle removed). I ran into a battle and read the tutorial, so I wouldn't miss something, but the timers continued in the background and I missed the opportunity, to intervene.

[edit:] I support the idea of advisors.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 3:50:44 PM
I hope 5 days are not considered digging up.

A button for disabling the current tutorial screen would be nice. I don't know if I have seen all tutorial screen, so I don't want to disable all screens, just the ones I already know.
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment