Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Composite suggestion] Possibility of garrison forces and black holes?

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 3:20:17 PM
Basically I have a few suggestions that I think the game would benefit from. I've searched the forums and can't find these explicitly suggested anywhere else:

1. First off I think that an introduction of a garrison defence force would be great because in most other (4X) strategy games, I like to have some form of garrison or militia in every one of my cities, or in this case star systems, that I use as a first line of defense to slow down invaders while my main force arrives. I think this could take the form of some fighters or other small fighter craft, such as the corvette, that is stored in hangar and only used if the system is blockaded or attacked. I propose that since it is a militia it is not able to be moved as a normal fleet (remaining planetside except in defence fights) and does not gain experience, instead running with base modifications and at half maintenance cost to represent the civilian basis of the defence force. Although I build the defence improvements I don't get the feeling that my systems put up a resistance to any invading fleets. I think it would be a nice dynamic to only having purely combat fleets and would make the invasion process feel more involved. I also think that it wouldn't be all that difficult to implement given how similar it is to mechanics already in game, but I could be wrong.

2. Secondly, as a physicist, I'd quite like the introduction of black holes as a system type. I know that they can't be colonised, but I propose that they could be colonised by proxy by constructing a space station next to one that could provide a significant boost to, for example's sake, dust and research to represent the conversion of Hawking radiation to energy (something theoretically possible) that could be accessed after the tech has been researched. I dunno if anyone thinks this is a good idea, I'd just quite like some new system types that aren't stars to break the game up a little.

What do you guys think? Any criticism or further suggestions welcome.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 3:25:45 PM
I would like to see garrisons (infantry,tanks,planes) as a option to produce at planets. like the exploitation. with maybe 4? levels of improvement.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 3:32:15 PM
@wotan: Yeah, either the first X mods or first half of the modification tree. I just feel that invasions and invasion defence are pretty lifeless and uninvolved at the moment, and I think that the introduction of a garrison force would both be easy to implement and make the invasion process come to life for both the attacking and defending parties. I'd ideally like to be able to build ground defenses as you suggested, but I think with the current build of the game it would be easier to implement a hangar of fighters or corvettes and could be a realistic suggestion for the release build if enough people like the idea.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 3:33:22 PM
The black hole, I have no idea now but for the defenses :

You have already few researches in the military techtree which allow you to bunkerize your system making it harder to invade. Moreover, a system looks harder to invade if more population lives in.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 3:36:12 PM
Yeah i meaned it like the hangar. I would like to see it where the improvements are. "Ground Infantry +2 planetary defense -3 dust" stuff like that but the +2 is a random value.

and then with armored groundforces and airforce. smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 3:37:42 PM
@photon: As I said, I acknowledge that you can build bunkers and other defenses to resist invasion but it just feels pretty lifeless as is, which is why I'd quite like a garrison fleet. It would enable a form of active defense if your system is invaded and would, in my opinion, be an easy way of bringing the often criticised "passive" invasion process to life.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 3:38:40 PM
Yes its lifeless. No troops just buildings. And most important: No different branches smiley: frown
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 4:12:16 PM
bwfcnut wrote:
Basically I have a few suggestions that I think the game would benefit from. I've searched the forums and can't find these explicitly suggested anywhere else:

1. First off I think that an introduction of a garrison defence force would be great because in most other (4X) strategy games, I like to have some form of garrison or militia in every one of my cities, or in this case star systems, that I use as a first line of defense to slow down invaders while my main force arrives. I think this could take the form of some fighters or other small fighter craft, such as the corvette, that is stored in hangar and only used if the system is blockaded or attacked. I propose that since it is a militia it is not able to be moved as a normal fleet (remaining planetside except in defence fights) and does not gain experience, instead running with base modifications and at half maintenance cost to represent the civilian basis of the defence force. Although I build the defence improvements I don't get the feeling that my systems put up a resistance to any invading fleets. I think it would be a nice dynamic to only having purely combat fleets and would make the invasion process feel more involved. I also think that it wouldn't be all that difficult to implement given how similar it is to mechanics already in game, but I could be wrong.

2. Secondly, as a physicist, I'd quite like the introduction of black holes as a system type. I know that they can't be colonised, but I propose that they could be colonised by proxy by constructing a space station next to one that could provide a significant boost to, for example's sake, dust and research to represent the conversion of Hawking radiation to energy (something theoretically possible) that could be accessed after the tech has been researched. I dunno if anyone thinks this is a good idea, I'd just quite like some new system types that aren't stars to break the game up a little.

What do you guys think? Any criticism or further suggestions welcome.

Both your suggestion have already been suggested and listed on summary list.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 4:23:14 PM
Are they!? I even used the search function and couldn't find the post or thread suggesting them :eek: Ah well, I'd still quite like to see them implemented.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 4:24:37 PM
bwfcnut wrote:
Are they!? I even used the search function and couldn't find the post or thread suggesting them :eek: Ah well, I'd still quite like to see them implemented.

You not alone its now up to Dev Team smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 4:41:34 PM
Personally I didn't see the garrison fleet suggestion either, but when jetkar says it has been made that is most likely the case. Kudos to keeping the summary so tidy smiley: biggrin

As for black holes, you should've seen them on the summary list in 2 places:

"Major & Minor Alomony - Black holes, Wormholes, Gas nebula, Ion storm, comets, meteors and etc"

"Stellar Contructor Mod/Tech - Ability to build Starbases, Mega Construction, Stellers Construction around blackholes, Nebulas, etc"

The second entry is a thread I made a few days ago involving black holes. You might add suggestions there I guess.

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13262-suggestion-stellar-construction
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 4:43:24 PM
Yeah that one I found once he pointed it out, but it doesn't come up clearly in the forum search function that I used. I, too, echo the kudos on tracking all suggestions. I'll add my black hole suggestions to your thread then smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 5:11:53 PM
KNC wrote:
Personally I didn't see the garrison fleet suggestion either, but when jetkar says it has been made that is most likely the case. Kudos to keeping the summary so tidy smiley: biggrin

As for black holes, you should've seen them on the summary list in 2 places:

"Major & Minor Alomony - Black holes, Wormholes, Gas nebula, Ion storm, comets, meteors and etc"

"Stellar Contructor Mod/Tech - Ability to build Starbases, Mega Construction, Stellers Construction around blackholes, Nebulas, etc"

The second entry is a thread I made a few days ago involving black holes. You might add suggestions there I guess.

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13262-suggestion-stellar-construction

Thanks KNC. Bwfcnut you suggested Garrison thats same as having ground forces or ground troops and or ground personnel which has been suggested if that helps smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 5:22:12 PM
@jetkar: Very true, but I was leaning more towards stuff that was already ingame (small ships like corvettes) just being permanently in the hangar tab as a garrison fleet, but with positives (half maintenance) and negatives (limited mod options) to represent a planetary militia. Either way, just something that makes invasions a little more involved smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 6:27:35 PM
bwfcnut wrote:
@jetkar: Very true, but I was leaning more towards stuff that was already ingame (small ships like corvettes) just being permanently in the hangar tab as a garrison fleet, but with positives (half maintenance) and negatives (limited mod options) to represent a planetary militia. Either way, just something that makes invasions a little more involved smiley: smile

Thats been suggested too figher / bomber squadrons
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment