Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Composite suggestion] Invasion improvement I'd like to see

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 12:50:13 AM
I'd like to see a choice of six options when you click "invade", three for cost and three for weapons

Amount of troops

1. Install Puppets (cost:cheap) 2. Invasion (cost:moderate) 3. Colonization (cost:heavy)

Bombing

1. Minimal/Surgical, avoid loss of life 2. Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs 3. Nuke em till they glow

The cost is multiplied by the ships involved per turn of invasion. You can always change your invasion strategy.

Install Puppets means the planet will revert immediately to your opponent should he get a ship back there, but is swiftest.

Invasion takes longer, but the planet will be able to resist being counter invaded at 50% of a normal world.

Colonization is a war crime, takes the longest, eventually it fills with your people.

Minimal bombing doesn't help your invasion, but the world is undamaged.

The second level will destroy random colonists and buildings, but speed up your invasion.

The last is a war crime, and will destroy the world pretty much (depending on what kind of ships are attacking) and provide a damaging anomoly (radioactive).

The idea of 'war crime' is perhaps there is a level of 'war' and a level of 'total war' where you can use the last options.

If the destruction of buildings and the like is un game balanced, it can be fixed by providing static defenses that destroy invaders.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 12:54:03 AM
The devs say that glassing planets will eventually be added so that is already on its way. As for war crimes..... it doesn't make sense when one of the factions legitimately thinks the others are food.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 1:14:09 AM
Thomas.Trainor wrote:
The devs say that glassing planets will eventually be added so that is already on its way. As for war crimes..... it doesn't make sense when one of the factions legitimately thinks the others are food.

war crimes could work if they add some kind of universal council.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 1:18:10 AM
VitunSuoPaska wrote:
war crimes could work if they add some kind of universal council.

Wouldn't this run against the whole concept of the core game? This wouldn't make sense unless the universal council ARE the Endless.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 1:28:09 AM
Ozymandias wrote:
Wouldn't this run against the whole concept of the core game? This wouldn't make sense unless the universal council ARE the Endless.

the universal council thing worked really well in Galactic civilization 2, so i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work here. with universal council i mean a feature where every 10 turns or something, a screen would come up with voting option for example "do you want to ban the use of laser weapons?" and you can vote for it, yes, no, or never. if yes votes get majority it passes, if no then it's declined, if anyone votes for never it is declined but the player with never option will get severe relation penalties or such.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 1:43:13 AM
VitunSuoPaska wrote:
the universal council thing worked really well in Galactic civilization 2, so i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work here. with universal council i mean a feature where every 10 turns or something, a screen would come up with voting option for example "do you want to ban the use of laser weapons?" and you can vote for it, yes, no, or never. if yes votes get majority it passes, if no then it's declined, if anyone votes for never it is declined but the player with never option will get severe relation penalties or such.

This sounds interesting. But how would voting work? Would you have to research, voting, or research a technology to be allowed in the council? Perhaps there could be a whole new tech "council" tree to influence universal politics. Kind of like how the US dominates the world and the UN. Like maybe certain techs give veto power, etc.

That sounds beyond epic.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 1:53:28 AM
Ozymandias wrote:
This sounds interesting. But how would voting work? Would you have to research, voting, or research a technology to be allowed in the council? Perhaps there could be a whole new tech "council" tree to influence universal politics. Kind of like how the US dominates the world and the UN. Like maybe certain techs give veto power, etc.

That sounds beyond epic.

in Galactic Civ 2 the voting power is based on the amount of population your faction has, the more population the more votes, also i think the approval affected it too. but yeah techs that would give you extra power in there would be awesome.

also in GC2 you are automatically part of the council as soon as you meet anyone.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 2:47:34 AM
VitunSuoPaska wrote:
in Galactic Civ 2 the voting power is based on the amount of population your faction has, the more population the more votes, also i think the approval affected it too. but yeah techs that would give you extra power in there would be awesome.

also in GC2 you are automatically part of the council as soon as you meet anyone.

We can, then, only hope that this game is rightfully supported with many more expansions.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 2:48:32 AM
Ozymandias wrote:
We can, then, only hope that this game is rightfully supported with many more expansions.

I totally agree!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 4:37:20 AM
Environmental damage (or damage to potential food resources! :P) seems more sensible than concepts of "war crimes".

Some factions could be designed to like (or dislike) particular options though which might alter your own relations? (e.g. happy Sophons frown on reducing planets to cinders; Horatio particularly hate replace their beautiful citizen with your ugly ones, etc)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 6:51:19 AM
If there is a Universal Council, I hope its implemented like Masters of Orion, where you could choose to leave the council and not have to follow any of the resolutions. Seeing how the Cravers cant even establish peace treaties, I seriously doubt they would be part of any council.

Also I think Subjugation instead of colonize would be a better name for that option.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 4:25:09 AM
I think the easiest implementation for 'war crime' would be that neither opponent in a war uses the 'war crime' levels of planetary bombardment and genocide in a state of 'normal war'.. Should one opponent use the 'war crime' levels, your diplomatic level changes to 'total war', and the other is now free to bombard and commit crimes as well... No council is required for this idea. Total War should be harder to get a cease fire from. Some AI factions would never initiate 'war crimes' first. Players who want to be able to sue for peace easily will not start a 'total war' either.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 4:45:08 AM
Gc3 wrote:
I think the easiest implementation for 'war crime' would be that neither opponent in a war uses the 'war crime' levels of planetary bombardment and genocide in a state of 'normal war'.. Should one opponent use the 'war crime' levels, your diplomatic level changes to 'total war', and the other is now free to bombard and commit crimes as well... No council is required for this idea. Total War should be harder to get a cease fire from. Some AI factions would never initiate 'war crimes' first. Players who want to be able to sue for peace easily will not start a 'total war' either.

I really would like something like this rather than a clunky "galactic council" approach; that's been done plenty before.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment