Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Composite suggestion] UI Improvements

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 9:29:33 AM
Disclaimer : I'm a newcomer, and maybe some of what follows came from me not looking for info at the right place. Even though, if I'm mistaken, other players will be, so there is some room for improvement.

More accessible "Pass turn" button

Why is the Pass Turn button only accessible in galaxy view ? I pass more than half of my time managing my researchs and systems and stuff. More than once I felt frustrated to return to galaxy view, press the button, come back to the mode I was in just before.

Clearer victory objectives

There is plenty of victory conditions in the game. I had to read the forum to find out the terms of one of them. Could these be explained in the game settings menu at the beginning of the game ? And repeated ingame on a special tab, along with how far you are into each of them ? I never finished a game yet (successive versions crashed my saves), and I dunno what happens in the end, but for now I really don't have the feeling I know what to do to win.

Complicated hero selection

So here I am, discovering the academy. I want to see what one hero can do before I hire him: pretty simple request I think. I have to :

- click on the "to hire" strip

- click on one hero.

- click on "examin"

why so many clicks ? I would have imagined a mouse-over the portrait would have been enough to display basic informations such as class and attributes, as well as the 3 buttons "examin" "hire" "fire". Endless space as enough high tech alpha-blending and smooth motions to make it work beautifully. It should be:

- mouse over the hero that catches your eye

- click on "examin" or "hire".

Same issue to affect a hero to a fleet or system, it recquires unnecessary clicks, and clicks are bad for your health. They kill koala pups and cause cancer.

Drop research

Is it impossible to abandon a research project for another one ? I was engaged in a long, 17-turns or so research, and I discovered there was something else in another tree that I needed like right now and that I could develop in two turns flat. Well, I try to left or right click on the current project, try to select another one, nothing changed. I had to wait 10 more turns to research the small urgent one.

Also, it would be nice to have some sort of visual display of how much work has been done on one research. I know, there are numbers at the bottom left of the screens, with science points and turns before completion. But it would be great to have some sort of clock set in the tech icone (it is circular ! It looks like it has been made for this.) So, if it becomes possible to go from one project to another, one glance would suffice to see what has already been done in this area.

Plus, could we have an automated research selection to the next nod of the tree (like shogun 2 TW had) ? I would prevent the unpleasant surprise of "F***, I overlooked a warning and my research departement has been doing nothing for god knows how long."

here, my two cents. Thanks for reading.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 3:08:23 PM
I agree the academy window requires too many clicks.

If you want to drop one research project to start another, just left click on the one you want to start. You can shift-click to queue techs, and there will be a small green number on the tech icon to indicate its order. Unfortunately if you have a long queue and you want to reorder, you can't; you have to start over by left clicking on the new first research. Maybe they will fix that.

Some people have requested that the end turn button should be greyed out, or give an error dialog, if you click when no research is selected. However, some people have also said that there are legitimate reasons for not researching anything. So that is a problem. Maybe the dev team can make an *optional* alert for this.

What I do is to make sure I have at least two techs queued at all times, sometimes more if the techs are low tier and it is late game. Then whenever the microscope event icon comes up at the end of the turn, I make sure to click that and go into the tech tree to put the next one.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment