Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Enforcing a Neutral Zone

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 4:03:08 AM
There was one system between me and a neighboring nation, so I stationed a fleet on Guard Duty to prevent colony ships from landing. Hey, they don't let me colonize if there are enemy ships in system.

But somewhere along the lines, the neighboring race landed a colony ship anyway.

This might have been due to a change in political stance. Maybe if we aren't at cold war status, then it's ok to colonize under a friendly fleet?

But this defeats the purpose of not only a fleet enforcing a Neutral Zone, but even having a Neutral Zone in the first place.

What to do, what to do?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 4:21:08 AM
Yes, the movement restrictions lift (I believe) under a peace agreement.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 4:24:23 AM
Then you must get there first with a colony ship and colonize it before they can.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 5:47:57 AM
If you have negotiated an actual peace, as opposed to cold war, I am not sure which takes precedence. Was your fleet on block? If so then I suppose it tells us that peace takes priority over block. This kind of makes sense; if you are at peace how does your warship convince the enemy transport not to land?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 6:08:30 AM
I'd really like the possibility to create some kind of neutral buffer zone between nations via diplomatic means. Although I've got to admit that right now I can't think of a good way to implement it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 6:10:28 AM
SABA wrote:
Then you must get there first with a colony ship and colonize it before they can.

The point of a neutral zone is to STOP expansion penalties, thereby preventing war and enabling trade. Colonizing the system yourself would defeat the point of creating one in the first place.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 6:43:19 AM
Indeed, the -50 to having your colonies linked via warplines can be a real relation killer before you can build up a good positive momentum. So some of us like having a Neutral Zone buffer for as long as possible. With the current system the AI will nab the system no matter what and you will get slapped the rather quickly building up penalty that will rise up to a -50. That's just the Linked borders penalty, minimising the Expansion penalty is also a given. Grabbing the system yourself will just make it happen sooner.

As stated in the Diplomacy thread in the main forum, there are several constraint on the player trying to establish peaceful co-existence with their neighbor which seem to always lead to the all too predicatble wars with them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 8:10:57 AM
Platescale wrote:
The point of a neutral zone is to STOP expansion penalties, thereby preventing war and enabling trade. Colonizing the system yourself would defeat the point of creating one in the first place.

Having a neutral zone will only work with systems of little value. Given the usual distribution of resources this is going to be hard to achieve. You can't expect a player to not take advantage of resources they may need, but perhaps there is sometimes situations where a neutral zone could exist but I'd think it rare.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 8:43:39 AM
It would be nice if you could make a 'not conquer' agreement with the KI to force such a neutral zone.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 1:59:25 PM
SABA wrote:
Having a neutral zone will only work with systems of little value. Given the usual distribution of resources this is going to be hard to achieve. You can't expect a player to not take advantage of resources they may need, but perhaps there is sometimes situations where a neutral zone could exist but I'd think it rare.

The player has to think of it like this. "Do I need that resource enough to start a war over it?" Colonizing the spaces right next to an an AI faction leads to war. Not immediately, but eventually. Enforcing the neutral zone helps keep the peace. I admit, if I was really sure I could win I'd risk a war over some of the luxuries, especially if it'd push me over into monopoly territory. I'd probably do it over a system chock full of jungle planets too. For a system of barren planets and lower-value resources, I'd prefer peace and trade.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment