Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[suggestion] Enemy ship blueprint intel bestiary/encyclopedia

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 7:17:11 PM
I often find myself scratching my grey matter trying to recall what weapons a given race are currently using on their hulls.

It would be quite handy to look up your knowledge of a given race's ship history. Something like:

Race

+Cruiser

++ Cruiser 1

+ Destroyer

++ Destroyer 3

++ Destroyer 2

++ Destroyer 1

Race 2

This information would only appear once you know the content of a ship type.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 7:25:22 PM
Do we really need to know, though, what weapons they're using?

I've been doing fine in battle just by paying attention to which way they go. If I'm taking more damage than I think I should, I upgrade all my defenses. If I think I'm not doing enough damage, I upgrade my weapons. Knowing what weapons my enemies use would change how I'm researching things. Also, I do keeps all my ships balanced in what I put on them, if that matters.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 7:37:37 PM
Against the current AI I don't think it's quite so needed.

However in all player populated multiplayer games, designs would very likely be changing and adapting at a much faster pace which is where I think some kind of 'known ship designs' encyclopedia could be a very useful tool.

Even more so if future espionage features allow for the acquisition of ship design from target empires before encountering them in combat.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 17, 2012, 9:21:25 PM
True, I didn't think about multiplayer matches. It would make sense to find this stuff out through espionage, otherwise, well...If an enemy fleet outguns your and destroys all your ships, there really isn't anyone left to report back to HQ what they went up against, is there?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 11:01:44 PM
FinalStrigon wrote:
True, I didn't think about multiplayer matches. It would make sense to find this stuff out through espionage, otherwise, well...If an enemy fleet outguns your and destroys all your ships, there really isn't anyone left to report back to HQ what they went up against, is there?

Be thankful for FTL communications and pre and mid-combat reports. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 11:53:16 PM
What if the intel of another civilization's ships were connected to sensor range and possibly a tech or two? Say a tech unlocks a module that you can equip on a ship and if another civilization's ship(s) ends the previous turn within the sensor range of your ship, then you can get a report of their loadout. Maybe even have an analogue for planets - pretty useful for frontier planets, I think. And of course, this could be countered with a module/tech that requires your ships to be closer to be able to be read. Such a possibility would favor the Sophon with their bonused sensors.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 18, 2012, 11:59:28 PM
I think I recall Galactic Civilizations doing this or something like it? Either way, I love this idea, it'll definitely let me make better-informed decisions when designing ships -- without having to manually note enemy ship stats when I see them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 12:21:05 AM
I like this idea too, if only because it would be really useful once there is multiplayer.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 9:46:26 AM
I like the idea but what is if you oponent destroys his design and adds a new one with the same name?

Then you think this old type only one weapon and not much defence.

But it is a new version with the old name and then you might lose.

If for example the enemy uses this and your fleet is not prepared for a fast change then the enemy

can rush you very good.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 19, 2012, 10:00:21 AM
We don't need such feature, ship design can change completely in a matter of several turns. So the info you're going to have in this "ship encyclopedia" might be old news already and you won't even know it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 6:17:24 PM
Virus wrote:
I like the idea but what is if you oponent destroys his design and adds a new one with the same name?

That never happens. They don't have the same name. The name of a ship uniquely identifies it's contents. Every instance of a given race's "Warrior 3" is identical.

This is probably on purpose for PvP combat, because otherwise players might rename ships to disguise their ship types.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 7:02:23 PM
I agree with this suggestion. When I am amassing fleets, it'd be nice to see what enemy forces I've come across thus far.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 7:10:37 PM
There should be episonage reports that shows actual design in designated system therefore there is no need for such encyklopedia.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 11:51:56 AM
Ship designs are so fluid that a player could just make every ship a unique variant design.

If there were even a small cost associated with producing a ship blueprint and modifying one, then I feel this would be a good idea.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment