Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Retrofit into Alternate Designs

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 7:58:46 PM
Right now retrofit only works to upgrade a design to a newer version of itself. This is annoying if you want to take a missile-outfitted ship and refit it to have kinetics (which you already have an up-to-date design for) of the same ship class. Can't be done without over-riding your missile boat design.

Can we make it possible to refit ships from one design to another, provided that the hull classification is the same? Dust cost would be related to the number of changed components and their production value (so if you have to replace weapons AND armor, it'd be more expensive than just weapons).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 8:52:44 PM
I think this restriction is the whole point of retrofitting. You cannot retrofit a pickup truck into a van, even though they are similar size.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 9:08:17 PM
davea wrote:
I think this restriction is the whole point of retrofitting. You cannot retrofit a pickup truck into a van, even though they are similar size.

You can, if you design the pickup to be a van, and then upgrade the truck.

My request is upgrading a FIAT 500c from not being a convertible to being a convertible.

Same make and model of car, different design. Can't do it (remember: they aren't mutually exclusive designs!).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 9:27:54 PM
Maybe we are describing different things. Let's just think about one size class, destroyer. I make one destroyer design A1 and build ship #1. I make a *new* destroyer design B1 and build ship #2. Now I select "modify" on design A1 to make design A2. I can retrofit ship #1 from A1 to A2. We agree so far I hope.

You are suggesting that you should be able to retrofit #2 to A2, and I don't agree. The A family is Fiats, A1 is not a convertible and A2 is. So you can retrofit from A1 to A2. But the B family is a Toyota, similar size, but not compatible. So you cannot retrofit the Fiat into a Toyota.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 11:57:03 PM
It still would be nice to have different versions of a ship design / convertability among designs of the same ship class. It's simply a matter of convenience.

Afterall you can achieve this already, but you have to 'update' the design every time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 3:21:32 AM
Yes, it would be a very nice feature.

davea wrote:

Not true. I can refit my "MissileDestroyer 2" class to be a "MissileDestroyer 3" that contains anything I want. It could be loaded with beam weapons, or change roles to be a planetary assault ship or heavy scout.

The ONLY thing the game enforces is hull class, and even the size of that can change significantly with modules and bonuses.

So it's not at all useful to enforce the name convention. The current system doesn't seem to do anything except be confusing, and is detrimental to organizational aspects of ship class management.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 4:19:40 AM
AngleWyrm wrote:
Not true. I can refit my "MissileDestroyer 2" class to be a "MissileDestroyer 3" that contains anything I want. It could be loaded with beam weapons, or change roles to be a planetary assault ship or heavy scout.

The ONLY thing the game enforces is hull class, and even the size of that can change significantly with modules and bonuses.

So it's not at all useful to enforce the name convention. The current system doesn't seem to do anything except be confusing, and is detrimental to organizational aspects of ship class management.

This.

[10char]
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment