Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Determining how battle looks

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 3:06:35 PM
So I hear many people saying that every battle looks the same, just with different ships. Then someone popped up the idea to hide a fleet behind a moon and then it hit me. What if the defender and the attacker could both pick a card similar do the rock

Say the offensive picks the jump close to be in orbit to catch the defender off guard, but then what if the defender has a moon and choose the hide behind it card and when the attacker jumps in close they pop out from behind the moon guns blaring (Imagine drum beats from BSG:coolsmiley: smile. But then the attacker could jump far and be at a distance and see the defenders behind the moon.

Theres so many options like a full frontal assault where the two fleets could intermingle

Now i doubt something like this could be put in pre-launch if work involved would be more difficult then perceived but maybe for patch or expansion later on, just keep it in mind as it would take away the monotony from battles. So what does everyone else think
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 3:25:20 PM
That are nice ideas! But i dont think that it is still realizable. :/
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 6:50:23 PM
Awesome idea, I have some great images in my head right now for exactly what you described.

@The Devs, please? Pretty please?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 7:59:12 PM
Indeed, we need to have much more options for the battles so that they become more tactical.

I really like this idea and just as Solon said, you could just keep it somewhere and think of it later.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 8:28:19 PM
Good ideas, I think we need some extra battle set up options to determine how we intend to fight a battle. If you have a fleet that is equipped for short range combat (i.e Kinetics) your going to want to get in close as fast as you can, where as missile equipped ships want to stay at range. Perhaps a group of cards that can change the length of the 3 combat phases, by shortening one phase, and extending the time in another which are unlocked through research.

This could be hard to balance especially when one player plays the card that extends mid range combat, and another player plays the short or Long range card. Playing opposites ie Short vs Long, you could halve the bonus on each giving them both a chance to use their prefered ranges, but for a reduced bonus level, say 25% instead of 50% but im not sure how to balance it against med range.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 9:10:51 PM
I agree with the ideas mentioned above. Combat does tend to feel repetative after a while. I was going to suggest more camera views so the randomness would be more varied, but now that I've found this thread I'm really excited about just where combat could be taken without breaking the origical concept. I love how combat is handled in Endless Universe, BTW. The cinematic feel is REALLY cool, and the clean and simple card based control system is very welcomed.

The original poster's idea has me thinking though..... It could be nice to add an initial combat stance choice to the screen where we chose manual or auto resolution. I assume that is where the retreat option will end up too, so it might be a nice fit. Anyway, the stance you chose would determine what cards are made available to you wit some being standard with all stances, some being specific to a few, and some special ones being specific to a single stance. These stances in turn could be researchable with a few basic ones being available initially and the more advanced ones coming along as researched. Basic options could be something like Aggressive, Defensive, and Neutral. More advanced options could be Broadside Attack, Sneak Attack, and Kamakazi. There could even be race specific stances or hero specific. This would greatly open up the combat experience and make for a much more rewarding experience.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 9:16:34 PM
i have one thing that are a trouble for me, in the device of manual combat that are visual the cards are present in full screen. if this screen of card stay more small in a bar screen with the three opcions could be more easy and fun see the combat. sorry for my englis
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 5:22:15 PM
Solon wrote:
So I hear many people saying that every battle looks the same, just with different ships. Then someone popped up the idea to hide a fleet behind a moon and then it hit me. What if the defender and the attacker could both pick a card similar do the rock

Say the offensive picks the jump close to be in orbit to catch the defender off guard, but then what if the defender has a moon and choose the hide behind it card and when the attacker jumps in close they pop out from behind the moon guns blaring (Imagine drum beats from BSG:coolsmiley: smile. But then the attacker could jump far and be at a distance and see the defenders behind the moon.

Theres so many options like a full frontal assault where the two fleets could intermingle

Now i doubt something like this could be put in pre-launch if work involved would be more difficult then perceived but maybe for patch or expansion later on, just keep it in mind as it would take away the monotony from battles. So what does everyone else think

Added to summary list under GamePlay > General > Battle Determination
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment