Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Categorized Saves

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 9:10:00 AM
I know this is similar to this thread:

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/11890-simple-game-file-save-location-option

But my suggestion is an in-game one. Now, my suggestion is to have saves all categorized, so you don't have a large list of mixed auto saves, quick saves and manual saves. This would especially work for players who like to have multiple playthroughs going on at the same time. So let me give an example of what it may look like;

Saved Games:

United Empire - Turn 34 - 20/04/2012 12:09 [5saves]

Hissho - Turn 55 - 2/05/2012 -15:33 [10saves]

Sophon - Turn 104 - 20/05/2012 - 9:55 [29saves]

(note: The turn count is based on the latest save, there may be other saves that the player wants to load up that have lower turn counts, date and time is also based on latest turn.)

Clicking on one of these would expand it and show you all the saves a person has made in that playthrough. Added to this, the ability to rename the categories would be good if players wanted to identify certain saves, like a player could rename a United Empire save category as "Military Domination game with U.E" or "Economy victory game with U.E".

I feel that this would help a lot of people, as I know I would be inclined to have multiple games going on at the same time as I hate have just one long list of saves with all the playthroughs I've done in the same place. It just looks messy. It would allow people to explore different strategics, races and play styles. Rather then sticking to just one because they don't want different types of saves all bundled into one list.

For a long time I have seen a lot of 4x and RTS games with 4x elements (Empire: Total War) have saves that were more or less all over the place, in a way forcing the player to only have one playthrough going on at any one time, even renaming a save would not help as much as Categorising them, as one save named "Back up in case plans to go shit" would be lost with the large number of quick saves and auto saves that would soon follow it.

I would love to have this sort of system in place, as it would encourage me and a lot of players to play the game a lot more.

Thoughts?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 9:50:21 AM
Good if each game is with a different specie. If you play only with the Empire, there is still the same messy issue.

Some rough ideas :

• Each started game get a specific ID tag allowing the soft to regroup saves as you suggested, not by species but by games
  • Each time you start a game, it creates a repertory. So long as you don't start a new game, load an other game or quit the game, all new saves will be written in this repertory. Whenever you load a game, the next saves will be written in the same repertory.
  • The player have the ability to manually regroup some selected saves.
  • Each saves display the setting of the game (galaxy form, density, number of players, …)
  • BONUS (useful only with a "one more turn" ability) : every won game automatically generate a save marked with a "win" logo (a crown ?)

0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 12:04:39 PM
Gyomb wrote:
Good if each game is with a different specie. If you play only with the Empire, there is still the same messy issue.

That's why the ability to rename the categories would be a good feature to add in, not using this as a excuse, but if it's really the player's fault if they don't rename their saves if they are really keen in being able to identify and access a certain save easily.

There could also be a HARDCORE or REALISM mode as well, which does not allow you to manually save and autosaves every turn. It could be an interesting way for players to live with any actions they have done and have to work around them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 1:56:31 PM
An other option would be to add the name of your home system to the savegame name.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 5:21:41 PM
MrDemonic wrote:
I know this is similar to this thread:

/#/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/11890-simple-game-file-save-location-option

But my suggestion is an in-game one. Now, my suggestion is to have saves all categorized, so you don't have a large list of mixed auto saves, quick saves and manual saves. This would especially work for players who like to have multiple playthroughs going on at the same time. So let me give an example of what it may look like;

Saved Games:

United Empire - Turn 34 - 20/04/2012 12:09 [5saves]

Hissho - Turn 55 - 2/05/2012 -15:33 [10saves]

Sophon - Turn 104 - 20/05/2012 - 9:55 [29saves]

(note: The turn count is based on the latest save, there may be other saves that the player wants to load up that have lower turn counts, date and time is also based on latest turn.)

Clicking on one of these would expand it and show you all the saves a person has made in that playthrough. Added to this, the ability to rename the categories would be good if players wanted to identify certain saves, like a player could rename a United Empire save category as "Military Domination game with U.E" or "Economy victory game with U.E".

I feel that this would help a lot of people, as I know I would be inclined to have multiple games going on at the same time as I hate have just one long list of saves with all the playthroughs I've done in the same place. It just looks messy. It would allow people to explore different strategics, races and play styles. Rather then sticking to just one because they don't want different types of saves all bundled into one list.

For a long time I have seen a lot of 4x and RTS games with 4x elements (Empire: Total War) have saves that were more or less all over the place, in a way forcing the player to only have one playthrough going on at any one time, even renaming a save would not help as much as Categorising them, as one save named "Back up in case plans to go shit" would be lost with the large number of quick saves and auto saves that would soon follow it.

I would love to have this sort of system in place, as it would encourage me and a lot of players to play the game a lot more.

Thoughts?

Your suggestion has been added to this thread http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/...7944#post17944 for Dev Team to consider additional features.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 9:08:40 AM
Virus wrote:
An other option would be to add the name of your home system to the savegame name.

That's actually pretty good, I can't remember, are all home systems' names randomly generated? If so, that would help a lot to help identify different saves.

Also jetkar, why was it added to that thread if I may ask? Isn't that just another suggestion thread?
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment