Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Individual Ship names and Pride of the Empire Flagship

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 4:10:39 PM
ArrowLance wrote:
First we need more room for model names since the cutoff is incredibly short at the moment.

Agreed. But naming ships is a great idea. I often have a 'super' fleet ships led by a great admiral. Being able to name the ships in this fleet, particularly the flagship, would be a nice 'little' touch. Additionally, having a little boost of some sort to the flagship in terms of raw stats would be nice. It is the flagship after all.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 10:05:28 AM
I like the idea of having a flagship.

Draknar wrote:
+10 to flagship option -have small bonus - lose the bonus when it is destroyed - one per game (so lost is felt)

I would like to see the flagship designation re assignable to another ship if destroyed, but after a wait period.

It would be neat if the flagship also gave a +10 to happiness if docked at a player owned system. Loss of flagship would cause -10 happiness to empire for a few rounds. Under this system, flagship status would need to be assignable for ships of size 5+, so as to avoid assigning a scout and having the happiness bonus from the beginning of the game.

Reassigning the flagship status between different ships would also incur a wait period.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 5:00:24 PM
Tazzzo wrote:
the option to make one battleship or dreadought class ship Pride of the Empire which gives bonuses like a slight increase in stats and faster exp gain.

Being able to become more attached to ships would be wonderful. I really like the Pride of the Empire idea, especially if you could maybe CHOOSE a bonus for this type of vessel.

Draknar wrote:
lose the bonus when it is destroyed - one per game (so lost [sic] is felt)

Great idea. You will not use it wastefully and prevents continually re-designating ships as 'Pride of the Empire'.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 2:20:41 PM
+10 to flagship option -have small bonus - lose the bonus when it is destroyed - one per game (so lost is felt)
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 1:11:27 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about that yesterday, good to see someone already put it out there. I'm personnaly quite attached to such and such fleets once I gave them a name other than alpha and the like. Would be great to have the same for ships. And it would be made easier to follow ship XP if you had something to identify them.

It's like in mass effect, where every human ship is called after an historical battle : it gives logic, tradition and identity to the faction. So, as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't recommand letting the player editing the default name pool. Ship names express something about the faction. You wouldn't let the player edit the visuals of the game (well, he can if he cares, but that should'nt be part of the intended play experience).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 7:33:22 AM
Naming individual ships, and setting a flag ship would be a neat little feature. I feel that the ability to name the fleet, and name the Class of the ship are a fun little side portion, and me and my roommates frequently get a few laughs after naming them something silly. ("SittinDuck Class Destroyers, anyone?) Though I don't know how hard it would be to implement, I'd enjoy seeing it. Perhaps for when a ship reaches a certain level?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 1:12:08 AM
Merku wrote:
I often have a 'super' fleet ships led by a great admiral. Being able to name the ships in this fleet, particularly the flagship, would be a nice 'little' touch. Additionally, having a little boost of some sort to the flagship in terms of raw stats would be nice. It is the flagship after all.

Yeah. Plus I quite like the possibilities with a flagship in multiplayer cause a 'sink the bismarck' type of roleplay and with ship names and stats both players probably create a 'grand battle fleet'. So if two grand fleets clash it could be a important point in a war.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 1:09:35 AM
A good idea for flavour and roleplaying would be ship names. Not just for the players to name but for the AI as well. Use auto naming convetions and have the option to rename it for players. Eg United Empire: UES (united empire ship) or HRES (his/her Royal emperor/ess ship) then a 'pool' of names for UE with one being selected at random = UES Terra or HRES Deliverance or UES Invincible or HRES Crown etc. Also if possible a screen/tab/popup of the ship's stats, name (place where players can rename it), kills, exp, planet of creation, year of creation and class (destoryer, battleship), model (scout 1, seer 3, warrior 2) and again if possible the option to make one battleship or dreadought class ship Pride of the Empire which gives bonuses like a slight increase in stats and faster exp gain.

I would like this feature because it can be boring just to see 3 destroyers (or whatever someone calls them) VS 1 scout, 2 corvettes and 1 destroyer. From a roleplay stand point it would be good to see a certain named enemy ships always killing my ships and the satisfaction when corner it and kill it. Also good idea for pirates.

Endless Space will still be a great game (hopefully) without this feature but hopefully this wouldn't take too much time to implement cause it would add so much to the game.smiley: biggrin

Sorry forgot to put suggestion in title. Could a mod fix that for me please?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 3:06:18 PM
First we need more room for model names since the cutoff is incredibly short at the moment.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 12:03:07 PM
I completely agree. Would also make it easier to manage your ships. I'd like to see fleet naming too.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 10:28:31 AM
totally agreed for the naming and the hunting board of the ships !

great idea !
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 10:20:13 AM
I would really like a flagship option! In my opinion it could even give bonus CP to the fleet it is on, as it has a command center in it etc. Of course there could be only 1 flagship so the balance wouldn't be thrown out of window.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 10:12:41 AM
+1 this is definitely an awesome idea. I like the turn created and system created at.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 3:27:37 AM
I love this idea! It sould add one more lvl of immersion that is not found in others of it's genera.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 14, 2012, 2:08:27 AM
I am hugely in support of this feature, and I can't imagine it would be too difficult to implement either. A system like Victoria 2 where ship names are randomly drawn from a pool (that is easily editable to boot) would be excellent. Of course, having the ability to rename individual ships would be fantastic as well.

Even better would be to allow the players to customize the naming pool of custom factions. This would go a long way in immersion factor as well as faction uniqueness.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment