Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Visible Physical Weapons on ships(pew pew graphics)

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 11:46:29 PM
I'm just curious about this as I haven't seen or heard anything about it being implemented, who here thinks it will or should happen that weapons should be physically shown on the ships? It doesn't have to be some huge revamp or anything, but just something to see partially what you have to deal with, might even make a dent in how combat works considering if you see something you know you're ill prepared for maybe you'll use one of your defense cards instead to try and muddle through?

A - I'd like the factor of intimidation and seeing all the weapons that a huge battleship/dreadnaught has to display.

B - Combat realism and reaction upon seeing what a ship is equipped with.

C - Overall I think it would add a bit more of a personal touch to how people design their ships in the long run.

I would much like to see it happen, anyone agree or have any input?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 1:16:19 AM
I think the issue is, the same hulls get reused all throughout the game and this can bring some problems if it, say, spawned a turret or missile rack every time you added one. I imagine it would start to look quite ramshackle. This is normally accomplished by other games by limiting the amount of weapons slot a certain type can have and having those in designated areas (much like what SotS I and II does) or allows you to manipulate the model and create your own ship (much like Galactic Civilization II). Unfortunately this doesn't seem to lean to either.

The work around I could see is having designated areas that spawn the proper weapon's model on the ship and that's where all the shots come from, but it would pretty restrictive, because it could only display so much and of a certain type.

As things stand I rather like the "comes from model" approach for its simplicity and for the fact that some models have believable images. The UE ships look like they hold the weapons inside little batteries and the Hissho have small little circular ports on its body. I just let my mind fill in the blank, but that's just me.

But, overall, not a bad idea, it would certainly be cool and I for one support customization of ships (like in Galactic Civilization II) or hull additions to the model for certain upgrades being applied onto ships (like a dish or antenna for sensors or a different engine model for new engine types).
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 1:29:36 AM
Yeah like I said it does have some definite restrictions but even so would look awesome and just add to the atmosphere.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 2:32:12 AM
I agree as well, Gall civ II handled this pretty well. Your designed ships would show what weapons you gave them and where, and also had the proper firing effects for such weapons.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 3:06:45 AM
Agreed, I think it would be just something a little extra to thrill people going into battle seeing the actual guns.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 7:12:41 AM
I think that would be great as well! However, I'd prefer a release version of ES more than a few turrets... Go Devs!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 8:20:52 AM
tmparis wrote:
I think that would be great as well! However, I'd prefer a release version of ES more than a few turrets... Go Devs!

Fully agree. ^^ Though.. I still wish I could see my mighty evil canons firing at my prey.. <.<
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 8:26:27 AM
Hrothgaar wrote:
Fully agree. ^^ Though.. I still wish I could see my mighty evil canons firing at my prey.. <.<

I think that's what everyone wants at some point... And who's to say we can't have some flame throwers too! ...okay maybe that's a bit overboard and unrealistic... but it's still cool to think about!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 8:29:54 AM
VulpesWalker wrote:
I think that's what everyone wants at some point... And who's to say we can't have some flame throwers too! ...okay maybe that's a bit overboard and unrealistic... but it's still cool to think about!

Totally overboard and unrealistic.... But sooo awesome! :O Flamethrowers. <3

EDIT: If there's every invasion battles that play sort of like space battles, we need flamethrowers.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 8:34:09 AM
YES! Flamethrowers as a top tier ground battle weapon! for sure! Or napalm planetary strikes...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 8:35:29 AM
VulpesWalker wrote:
YES! Flamethrowers as a top tier ground battle weapon! for sure! Or napalm planetary strikes...

Actually, I think I need to write a suggestion thread. smiley: smile I think we should leave the discussion be now though, as we're driving this thread OT. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 8:37:22 AM
Alright, we'll have some suggestions and events planned once multi player is implemented, feel free to accept my friends request and check out the group I've put on here. But it's that time of night and I'm thinking of so many not so plausible but awesome at the moment ideas for this game... all the while i post on my laptop to the forums and play on my main PC.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 11:45:30 AM
Moved to the game design discussion proposals.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 27, 2012, 11:46:59 AM
Nosferatiel wrote:
Moved to the game design discussion proposals.

Aye sir, sorry for having it the wrong place to begin with/
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment