Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Naming Individual Ships

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 11:05:26 PM
JavidMephisto wrote:
Which of course was a concept well endowed in Civ 5. And it would also mean that there is at least a seeable effect of the ship's gathering of experience points.

Exactly. Throw in a different skin (so you can see it in battle) and BAM! Keeping ships alive suddenly becomes worth while.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 1:28:11 PM
H.P.Winrarsauce wrote:
For now, I guess making a special limited run kind of design is good enough.

You mean like giving experienced ships unique colour patterns or logos...? If not please clarifiy, I'm curious now... smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 29, 2012, 7:14:07 AM
I am all for naming ships, I would not even limited it to a certain type of ship. The ships already generate a standard tag, so I if you can't be bothered to name them -> don't, but for the people with same naming-itch -> sh*t just got real.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 29, 2012, 6:28:34 AM
Mufasa wrote:
This... This is brilliant. GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL!

Aww shucks, now I'm blushing smiley: smile

ty
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 4:28:33 PM
Every time one of my personalized and named ships would be destroyed in battle something deep down inside me would die...... nevertheless, all for it! smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 10:48:58 AM
Mufasa wrote:

Yes, ships could start out ordinary, but then earn the right to have a custom name. Possibly change in skin? I don't want to get into promoting ships, but simply an aesthetic change would be awesome. Good idea Dubb smiley: biggrin

+1.

I agree with this 100%. This is simply a great idea.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 28, 2012, 10:44:58 AM
Dubb wrote:
It would be kinda nifty if ships earned the right to have a name. Survive enough fights and become a legend!

Yes, ships could start out ordinary, but then earn the right to have a custom name. Possibly change in skin? I don't want to get into promoting ships, but simply an aesthetic change would be awesome. Good idea Dubb smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 8:16:52 PM
Exactly I agree that there should be names for some ships but not others.... is there a term for that smiley: wink

And just how does one go about naming all those ships? clicking on each one and typing a name seems rather lengthy imo.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 8:01:43 PM
Yes very nice idea.. let me name my ships.

Hmm but why only experienced ships? Why not just give me the possibility to name everyship? if you only want to name your high xp ships.. then do that.. I want to name actually every single one of them. I have still lists of shipnames in textfiles on my computer for Star Wars - Rebellion.. or every other game where they allowed me to name them.

@Polistes: Then don't name all of them. Then they will just keep their "Corvette 3" Tag or something like it
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 7:52:10 PM
Well naming a capital ship or a "titan class ship" is feasible but naming each individual ship seems like a serious waste of time when you have hundreds of such ships floating about.

But yeah having the HMS Big Winner or the USS Enterprise is a cool feature for "special" ships. But I really don't care about the nameless frigate or cruiser that I am using as cannon fodder to protect my special ships from harm.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 7:23:28 PM
How about if a ship survives many battles or a certain amount of turns, then you have the option to add a hero to it? Then you can pay lots of dust for upgrades for that single ship.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 6:35:37 PM
I agree. Should the ability to name ships be available from the moment they're created, I'm sure some people will feel it's almost a requirement to name them, which could be aggravating. If we limit it to ships who show progress and success, then it'd seem more fitting and save a player from having to name every ship they produce. Sometimes, you run out of decent names. >.>
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 2:09:47 PM
Dubb wrote:
It would be kinda nifty if ships earned the right to have a name. Survive enough fights and become a legend!

Great Idea !! It could be the marker of Xp gain on ships (a thing I still struggles with: what do we gain from experienced ships ???)

An other marker could be alterations to these ships appearance (colored textures, stylized prow, …)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 26, 2012, 9:01:25 AM
I should not be a requirement. It should be

a option if you like it. But personaly I think

naming a fleet is more usefull.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 11:16:44 PM
But now if you run a playstyle where you amass ships and then use them as cannon fodder to simply zerg rush your opponents until they die, you might not get to enjoy them.

I don't like the idea of there being requirements; makes it feel too much like CoD.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 12:44:10 PM
I was chatting with my mate the other day about Endless Space and one of the first questions he asked me was: 'Can you name the ships?'

I told him that you could name the classes of ships and design them, but he was adamant on naming individual ships like the ships in our navies today. And I can understand the appeal. It's unfortunate that ships can get taken down very easily in the Endless Space universe and they are so numerous that one can see such a feature never being used. However I'm still drawn to the idea of certain types of ships deserving names.

For instance, it feels great naming a scout 'Enterprise' because you are behind it's little scouting adventure all the more as it zooms around going where no man has gone before. And you feel all the more devastated when it is surrounded by enemies and destroyed. 'The Enterprise is down!' is far more dramatic and engaging than 'I lost a scout'.

Another example is naming your capital ships badass names so that when they have been on the front line for ages you can proclaim a long history for the SSV Hammerdown or The Normandy or The Ulysses and can be more proud of it's accomplishments.

As people who love to feel the stories of games like Endless Space, where you can imagine you are creating the proud heritage of a nation, we'd like this to be considered.

Please feel free to argue whether this would be a good improvement or whether it would be a distraction below:
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 7:20:10 AM
Dubb wrote:

Which of course was a concept well endowed in Civ 5. And it would also mean that there is at least a seeable effect of the ship's gathering of experience points.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 6:59:47 AM
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 4:37:38 AM
Fair enough, but I was more referencing those that weren't running for a challenge... either way, I think a decent trade off that you don't get to name lighter ships!
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment