Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Naming Individual Ships

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 1:20:37 AM
freezer018 wrote:
Very true, I guess I'm just too optimistic when considering most people (and especially those that have taken the time to join here) will try to get the full experience... oh well, someone/something will payback the cheezers for their sins!

Sins? You know people like to do challenge runs right?

It's not that they don't want to enjoy the game, they're just so hardcore that they want to beat the game with limited technology or supplies.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 1:18:14 AM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
Though I have no doubt that there are some people who strive to beat the game using nothing but scouts...

Very true, I guess I'm just too optimistic when considering most people (and especially those that have taken the time to join here) will try to get the full experience... oh well, someone/something will payback the cheezers for their sins!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 1:14:03 AM
freezer018 wrote:
I love this idea, but maybe limit the "named" ships to heavier classes and higher?

Though I have no doubt that there are some people who strive to beat the game using nothing but scouts...
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 22, 2012, 1:10:51 AM
I love this idea, but maybe limit the "named" ships to heavier classes and higher?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 11:06:39 PM
Jacrench wrote:
Definitely. I cry a little inside when a 'named' object of mine passes away. No-name ships however, feel far too dispensable, cannon fodder if you will.

When I build 100+ Foragers to protect my investments in outposts across my empire, "cannon fodder" is not inaccurate. Nor do I cry if I lose a few dozen.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 11:01:46 PM
Filidor wrote:
Having a personal connection to a ship makes the game much more immersive imo.

Definitely. I cry a little inside when a 'named' object of mine passes away. No-name ships however, feel far too dispensable, cannon fodder if you will.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 10:51:50 PM
Personally I like the idea of naming ships, but I don't know if I'd want the names to be applied automatically the way fleet names are. I'd rather it be a choice, or at least an option you can turn off.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 10:41:50 PM
Yes I agree that naming individual ships has a certain draw to it. In my opinion these types of games feel more satisfactory if one actually has some attachment to the units / planets / cities... etc.

I feel it would actually be quite easy to have a random name generator for ships. Example: '501st destroyer class B' or if names want to be assigned, 'the steel brigade'. And all the names could be formed from a random name generator. From there you could also name the ships individually.

While it is true, it would have no effect on the game play, it would make the game even more satisfying.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 8:40:41 PM
I'd like this option a lot as well. However, if the devs don't have time to implement the feature for all ships or if it simply turns out to be impractical, I think adding this for capital ships only would be sufficient.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 6:46:43 PM
JavidMephisto wrote:
Another example is naming your capital ships badass names so that when they have been on the front line for ages you can proclaim a long history for the SSV Hammerdown or The Normandy or The Ulysses and can be more proud of it's accomplishments. :

I like this idea a lot, and I hope it would be implemented. Having a personal connection to a ship makes the game much more immersive imo.

Maybe even adding the addition of a simple history view for a ship. Push a button and it shows every battle they have been in. Adding icons to ships showing veteran status maybe as well, but with no buffs.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 2:39:22 PM
JavidMephisto wrote:
I was chatting with my mate the other day about Endless Space and one of the first questions he asked me was: 'Can you name the ships?'

I told him that you could name the classes of ships and design them, but he was adamant on naming individual ships like the ships in our navies today. And I can understand the appeal. It's unfortunate that ships can get taken down very easily in the Endless Space universe and they are so numerous that one can see such a feature never being used. However I'm still drawn to the idea of certain types of ships deserving names.

For instance, it feels great naming a scout 'Enterprise' because you are behind it's little scouting adventure all the more as it zooms around going where no man has gone before. And you feel all the more devastated when it is surrounded by enemies and destroyed. 'The Enterprise is down!' is far more dramatic and engaging than 'I lost a scout'.

Another example is naming your capital ships badass names so that when they have been on the front line for ages you can proclaim a long history for the SSV Hammerdown or The Normandy or The Ulysses and can be more proud of it's accomplishments.

As people who love to feel the stories of games like Endless Space, where you can imagine you are creating the proud heritage of a nation, we'd like this to be considered.

Please feel free to argue whether this would be a good improvement or whether it would be a distraction below:

Thank you for your suggestion however it has been suggested and referred to Dev Team to consider listed on summary list (linked below on my signature panel) under Interfaces > Longer Ship/Fleet/Planet names. If you have any further suggestion thats not been mentioned on summary list then make a thread and link it to discussion thread (also link below) in order to be added to summary list for Dev Team to consider.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 1:03:50 PM
Could be a nice feature. You could save the history of a ship e.g. "Enterprise" discovers the system Ocori or "Enterprise" destroyed three ships at Locania.

But with hundreds or thousands of ships it could be a litte bit oversized.

Why not focus on the whole empire? Maybe it would make more sense to log only empire related information. e.g. Lost of a planet, Win in a great battle and something else.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment