Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion - Poll] Trust

This sounds like a great idea!
No way, too complicated for nothing.
Maybe... I'm not sure. I'd have to think about it.
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 3:22:35 PM
Those are just the "labels" of the existing "stages" of the present Relationship system. If you mouse-over your relationship score with a faction, you can see a tooltip of a basic breakdown of the various factors influencing your relationship score. As it is, though, it's still relatively vague information.

Whether a separate trust meter happens or not, greater options and details are definitely coming: devs have said as much; it's one of the things they're presently hard at work on (yay!).

The relationship system, as it is, presently incorporates pretty much all the different feelings (both positive and negative) that the AI can have about you, and gives you an amalgamated "overall feelz score".

What I'm suggesting, very specifically, is that they break down "Relationship" into two separate opinion sub-categories and which would, if you will, act as two axes of a whole.

The "like/dislike" axis, and the "trust/distrust" axis. You can be liked and trusted, liked and distrusted, disliked and trusted or disliked and distrusted (and anything in between; those are the extremes).

My reasoning for wanting this is that it would add depth and complexity to the equation that a singular metric would fail to achieve.

Now, speaking from a purely technical level, it's all pretty much the same thing in the end: some things make the AI have positive feelings towards you and other things make them have negative feelings towards you. Behind the scenes, in terms of coding, this boils down to the same thing (I think? Really not my area of expertise...).

The main difference is how this information is presented to the player.

About the coding bit... I'm not sure...

I mean, basically, what I'm looking for is a complexity of reactions and consequences to our actions and inactions: a thing we do (or don't do) could, at the same time, have both a positive and negative effect, these effects being applied to different things ("likingness and trustingness").

I don't know how programming works, really, so I can't guess if this is possible with the present system in place; it very well might be. If this is the case, I'd still like to have information about these different aspects, though, instead of them simply being lumped together.

If the present system can't handle that simultaneous positive/negative, then I'd hope for a new system which does allow for it, and the end result is the same.

Of course, I could just be dreaming... maybe this would simply take too much work to implement. There are far more important things to work on, of course.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 1, 2012, 8:35:02 PM
That's crazy... none of that sounds familiar. I even went to look at screenshots, and didn't recognize anything. I guess it's been too long.

And I guess that means it's time to play again... smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 9:52:50 PM
From the top of my head:

A) Alliances often involved more than one nation. You could literally have a dozen nations in an alliance. When wars broke out, it was entirely possible to be forced into fighting someone you didn't want to fight, so you try to avoid fights, or break apart alliances so you don't get swamped.

B) Trade is connected to warfare, in that if your merchants are in a city owned by an enemy state, you lost those merchants and the corresponding trade. You want and need money, be it for research, making deals, or improvements.

C) There is indeed a trust system, based on what religions you and your rivals have, whether or not there is a history of warfare, how often you broke treaties, and whether or not you held territories that once belonged to your rival, and marriages. This is very important, because your Bad Boy status determines how receptive other nations were to brokering deals with you. If you play your cards right, you could diplomatically win the throne to other nations.

D) You can't move troops into the territory of other nations without declaring war or negotiating the right to move troops. Being sure that permission won't be withdrawn is important, because your troops require a supply line to the motherland, and losing dozens of units to a lack of supply can be an invitation for invasion.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 7:28:31 PM
Loved EU3 (my introduction to the series). I got HoI3 after, having been eyeing it for a while... took one good long look at... everything. Brained melted, closed program, haven't dared go back since. It looks amazing, though, and I intend to try again some day. Just... so overwhelming.

As much as I'm hoping for more complexity in ES, I'm not hoping for -that- much more complexity... smiley: wink

I can't believe I completely forgot about EU 3... I spent a fair bit on that. Sad to say, I don't remember anything about it at all beyond the fact that I had a lot of fun.

How did diplomacy work there, in a nutshell? (a quick refresher should jog back my memory, no need for great detail)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 7:20:01 PM
Stargem wrote:
You might want to look at the Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron games by Paradox, they use a Cassius-belli system, agreements, and so forth to make it much more difficult for the player and AI to randomly attack each other. Maybe it could lend insight into making Endless Space stronger on the diplomatic front?

Yes that is a good example of an interactive version of the "scorecard ai" system. With the Cold War status you could build an escalation and de-escalation system that enables or prevents war, ofc some factions could automatically start out as CB to all factions and vice versa in this way. There is alot of depth to the opportunities and added enjoyment that could be presented to ES with this. smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 7:12:29 PM
You might want to look at the Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron games by Paradox, they use a Cassius-belli system, agreements, and so forth to make it much more difficult for the player and AI to randomly attack each other. Maybe it could lend insight into making Endless Space stronger on the diplomatic front?
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 6:09:14 PM
Dr_Mox wrote:
At the very least a simple Diplomacy "record card" of events/actions tallied up of the various diplomatic and in-part non-diplomatic activities the said faction has been involved in may be beneficial for information regardless of it having an impact on ai choices.

Excellent point, and always something I enjoy seeing.

The thing with lists like that is that they're basically quite simple, being nothing more than a visual representation of what's already happening behind the scenes. Those who aren't interested don't have to look, and those whore are interested can look. Everybody wins!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 5:57:11 PM
There are quite a few products out there where a version of the OP's suggestion is available as a feature; that for good or ill operates within the game.

At the very least a simple Diplomacy "record card" of events/actions tallied up of the various diplomatic and in-part non-diplomatic activities the said faction has been involved in may be beneficial for information regardless of it having an impact on ai choices.

Lots of fun for multiplayer (maybe).

It could help the ai inform a choice of attitude towards the player and vice versa if it were programmed that way.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 4:46:14 PM
Yup. But at the very least, things are gonna change, so don't worry about that. A dev posted about this in the original thread where I first got this idea about trust (that thread's more about diplomacy in general).

So even if we don't get a separate trust meter, it sounds like good things might be coming... smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 4:40:40 PM
ElegantCaveman wrote:
That's part of it, yes. But basically, I'm asking for more. A lot more.

... and it doesn't hurt to ask! smiley: stickouttongue I agree with you though, it would be nice if the pluspoints system was expanded a little.

I know that at the moment the diplomacy system isn't working correctly but I've found already that I don't like it if, for example, when one has finally found an ally (usually sophons) and does one's best to accommodate them then that should really be rewarded in the sense that one shouldn't just get some pluspoints with them and have to continue to spoil them in order to keep them sweet but rather it would be nice if occassionally the AI came and offered or suggested things, simply out of... trust.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 3:25:42 PM
vaendryl wrote:
although I don't dislike the idea I feel there is already something similar built in in the form of extra pluspoints when you've been at peace for a while.

That's part of it, yes. But basically, I'm asking for more. A lot more.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 3:23:06 PM
although I don't dislike the idea I feel there is already something similar built in in the form of extra pluspoints when you've been at peace for a while.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 8:47:16 PM
I first brought up this idea in another thread dealing with diplomacy in general, but as I was writing it, I realized that I -really- liked the idea and that I should expand on it and see what you guys thought about it, so, here it is...

Trust

Basically, I'm suggesting the addition of a "trust meter" to go along the already-existing relationship meter. This would give greater depth and breadth to diplomacy in general.

From the original thread:

ElegantCaveman wrote:
[A]dd a "trusted/untrusted" meter. This would work hand-in-hand with your factional relationship to affect diplomacy as a whole, and would vary depending on various actions you take (or don't take). Every faction would start in the center of the scale, like the relationship meter, and would rise or fall depending on various things.

Relationships and trustworthiness would affect each other, but not be directly related. You could, for example, be trusted by a faction but have a negative relationship with them, or not be trusted but have a positive relationship.

Trustworthiness could be affected by a variety of factors, such as diplomatic interactions, world events, racial modifiers (Cravers, for example, would have a massive trust penalty) and possibly even infrastructure (a silly example: say you could build orphanages to make you look like more of a trustworthy nice guy).

Take having adjacent systems, for example: if you have a low trust rating, you would incur a relationship penalty with your neighbor because, well... you're untrustworthy. Conversely, with a high enough trust rating, you might get a relationship bonus instead, for being a "good neighbor".

Trust could be empire-specific (like relationship is right now), Empire-wide (more as a general gauge of how you are) or, ideally (though this would complicate things a fair bit more--but would add a fair bit of depth), both.

The main reason why I like this so much is for the complexity that it could add to diplomacy. Instead of simply having a black & white "I like you/I don't like you", it could bring a lot of nuances to the table.

You could then deal with such situations as "I like you, but I don't trust you, so I'm liking you less and less..." and "Well, I didn't really like you much before, but you're a pretty cool guy, so maybe we could be friends after all...".

There could be more consequences (both penalties and benefits) to your actions.

Say you share a border with another faction. You have a neutral relationship, but it's going down because of that shared border. If you leave the bordering system undefended, your neighbor might start trusting you more, slowly but surely. But if you're playing it safe and parking a fleet there, border tensions will escalate and their trust for you will go down.

Declaring war on anyone could give you a global trust loss with any faction you've met. Though if someone's already at war with whoever you just declared on, maybe you'd get a trust bonus with them instead ("The enemy of my enemy...").

This would give an overall much more dynamic experience.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 1:23:09 PM
Isn't there already a sort of trust meter in the game? Some days I get a message saying they're suspicious of me or neutral or friendly, which is more or less the attitude that defines your relationship. Maybe if it was built into something clearer and more concrete (exactly why am I suspicious to someone I haven't done anything to?) it would be better but I would also prefer more options to change the trust meter. As of now, what would they trust me for? For not having attacked anyone yet? For trading them a tech? That's where I think the real issue is. Give me options to manipulate my enemies and allies instead of just asking for peace and hoping they agree so we can start to talk. It'd also be nice if the AI were more engaging. I know this is space and all and it be empty but please, somebody talk to me. Tell me my empire is puny and you plan to crush me or something....I'm so lonely
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 10:51:07 PM
Galanthein wrote:
n a 4X game, information is resource number 1 smiley: wink[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

It doesn't necessarily have to be a meter. I'd just like it to be more than a tooltip (like "-10 trust" when you mouse-over the relationship meter).

For example, in the Approval tooltip now: "+50 from Empire, -10 from Empire". What does that even mean? It's a bit vague. Even relationship could do with more detail. All that will probably come in time, though.

Think of "relationship" and "trust" as two different axes of the same thing. Or, if you will, more like relationship as it is now would be "like/dislike" and the new meter would be "trust/distrust", and these two together would be two different axes of your overall relationship.

I agree with your idea of points for actions (or inactions), and this is basically the way relationship works now.

But the idea of having trust be a separate thing is that it would allow for things to affect both in different ways. If trust is merely a subset of relationship, then it can only go one way. Having them be separate, though... well, here are some examples:

1) Imagine three factions that have all "met" each other, all of roughly the same size. One is in the middle (Faction B), and share a border with the other two (Faction A, and you, Faction C), and the other two only share a border with the one in the middle. Faction A has a negative relationship with Faction B, because of border conflicts. Faction B has a bad relationship with everybody, because of border conflicts. You (Faction C) have a good relationship with Faction A, you have a peace treaty, and some trade routes.

You declare war on Faction B (in the middle). So now Faction A (your friend) gets a relationship boost with you because they're happy that you're declaring war on Faction B. But at the same time, you get a trust penalty with them because, hey, you started a war.

2) You have a neighbor. You share a border, both with direct system links and wormholes; you're both medium-sized empires. You're getting a relationship penalty over time because of this border tension, but you don't put any fleets to defend any of your systems which border your neighbor. So, at the same time, you're getting a trust boost for having a "de-militarized border".

Basically, having two separate things ("like/dislike" and "trust/distrust") allows for more variety in actions and reactions, instead of trust simply being a small part of relationships, in the background: it allows it to have a more direct impact on the consequences of your actions.

You could, I guess, just lump it all together... give bonuses and penalties at the same time to one "stat" (relationship), but I think that might get confusing, and would take away information from the player.

From a technical perspective, it comes out to the same thing, it's just a matter of how that information is presented.

I feel that having like/dislike and trust/distrust be separate stats would give the player a better understanding of their environment, and thus lead to better decision-making.

If you lump them together, you only end up with a bunch of confused players posting on the forum "I don't understand how relationship works!", giving up on diplomacy, and deciding that the simple answer is to just kill everything... smiley: wink

As for spies, it seems that it's something the devs would like to implement at some point, but after release (see here), so I'm just thinking/planning ahead. smiley: biggrin

(on that topic, I also wouldn't be surprised if advanced diplomacy would only be after release as well; I could definitely see some diplomacy, spy & goverments DLC: "Politics... in SPACE!")

Nosferatiel wrote:
If you can include AI players in multiplayer, then retaining the trust meter also in that part wouldn't be bad, in my opinion.

Snuggle together with an AI player and beat your opponent, amoeba style. smiley: wink

Of course, point being is that the trust meter would simply be absent from human players (as would the relationship meter, no doubt).
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 10:27:04 PM
If you can include AI players in multiplayer, then retaining the trust meter also in that part wouldn't be bad, in my opinion.

Snuggle together with an AI player and beat your opponent, amoeba style. smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 10:23:09 PM
We agree for multiplayer there can be any trust meter concept smiley: wink

For single player, if i understand right, you'd like more informations about actions you take that can influence "trust" of an AI towars you. That's a great idea i think : in a 4X game, information is resource number 1 smiley: wink

I think there is no need for a specific meter for that. Integrating those information into the existing system could be done though. So you'd have "cold war" state with an AI and in a "details" panel, a list of actions you took that made the AI hate you. There is no spy functionalities in the game (maybe a future update héhé) but using a 3 people information system could be fun. The AI would never tell you thoose informations but someone else (another AI) would.

However, if you really really want this jauge, as a direct visual indicator, i think a good solution would be to use a "weight" on each action : scouting without authorization 10 points and attacking isolate fleet 50 points something like that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 30, 2012, 10:12:51 PM
Thanks for reading! With something that size, people often don't. smiley: wink

Trust can be based on action, but also lack thereof. Like the example I gave of not parking a fleet on a system bordering a neighbor. Or as an extension of what Nosferatiel said in the other thread about attacking scouts--in this case, not attacking scouts (say, letting an AI's scouts live and move on when you could have easily killed them). These things wouldn't necessarily give big boosts, but they're examples of how inaction, in itself, could still factor in.

A good point about multiplayer, though... I honestly hadn't considered that. I don't play multiplayer, so it's something I have the bad habit of forgetting exists. But I would see it as an AI-only meter.

I mean, what about the relationship meter? How will that work in multiplayer? Trust would be no different than that. I'm assuming human players simply won't have a relationship meter in multiplayer.

The main point of having two separate meters, as I see it, is that they're affected by different things. And, personally, I appreciate having as much information available to me as possible. One could argue that a "trust meter" is unrealistic, in the sense that you can't really know if a person (let alone an entire space-faring empire!) trusts you, but the same could be said about the "relationship meter".

Having two separate meters simply gives the player more tools; it's a gameplay mechanic that allows the player to make better-informed decisions.

It would also allow for trust-specific actions to be undertaken (I could see this being particularly important if/when espionage is implemented).
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment