LAZORS, but a few energy bolt weapons are fine too
Don't care/other
Stick with bolts
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 3:14:54 PM
Asterisk wrote:
You can't see a laser beam in space. The only thing you'll see is a colored spot on the target.

The colored beam you want to see when the laser weapon is fired would make as much sense as the bolts... smiley: wink

But, but, but... but it looks nice!

Okay honestly I suppose most people know that, though if you'd create an plasma laser something of that kind you indeed could see it. And visible lasers are this one thing every space game should defy a few physics for.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 3:18:33 PM
Beam would be nice for variety, you could actually see them impact an enemies shield, and brighten up their shield if they have some.. or just tear into the hull if not. If the beam overpower the shield, you might see the beam, bleed into the hull. And like people say, beams don't have to last long.. low level, maybe a sec long burst, while high level ones can have like 4-5 second burst.

Since the combat is mostly cinematic, variety in weapons is a good thing.

~Dk~
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 10:57:52 AM
I've made my position clear in the other thread, but let me put it another way here. Nothing, and I mean nothing says Sci-Fi better than a solid beam of coherent energy cutting a swath through 'bad guys'.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 23, 2012, 9:19:34 AM
jumpyg1258 wrote:
By lazors, I am assuming you mean beams? Anywho if this were implemented, I think the lower end lasers should be of bolt design while higher quality ones should be beams. Just my $0.02.

Well, given that light travels at near 300,000 km/second, a bolt that fired for a tenth of a second would be a bolt 30,000 km long. A hundredth of a second, 3,000. Aside from the fact that you can't see a laser unless it passes through something to cause scatter, it will always appear as a beam. Movie hand waving aside, ie: Star Wars.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 23, 2012, 9:20:57 AM
KNC wrote:
But, but, but... but it looks nice!

Okay honestly I suppose most people know that, though if you'd create an plasma laser something of that kind you indeed could see it. And visible lasers are this one thing every space game should defy a few physics for.

Of course. We gotta have our eye candy. Invisible missiles are bad enough.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 23, 2012, 11:57:31 AM
Really would prefer real lasers, trading instant beams for high rate of fire and reduced damage would help define them from rail shots

or the rate of fire and damage could stay the same and instead have a charge up period
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 12:57:35 AM
More beams make more awesome! Let those ultra-energized weapons lace across the sky like they are peeing their name into the snow.

BEAMS BEAMS BEAMS BEAMS BEAMS BEAMS BEAMS BEAMS BEAMS BEAMS BEAMS BEAMS
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 24, 2012, 8:54:08 PM
I definitely want to see some beams if possible. Not necessarily to the point that ALL weapons on all ships are these kinds of weapons, but it just looks cool to see a few of those flying around.

Also I think the previous suggestion of making beam color match empire color... I'd rather that it was just based on technology level of the beam I think. Just feels kind of silly to have the beams color coded by empire like that.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment