Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

AI Ship-Templates.

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Dec 10, 2013, 1:24:39 PM
"
  • Did you figure out how exactly "FleetWeight" works?"

Would it probably help to make copies of the designs of which I want the AI to use more, so that the random picking has a higher chance of picking one of them?

Say I have 6 Small designs but 10 Medium and 15 Large, would that probably lead to the AI building more large designs?

Much better would be if FleetWeight would just work.

"
  • What are you using as the AI targetting plan? What can I do to convince you (and Meedoc) to make it spreadfire 100%?"

Well, I disagree with Spreadfire 100%...

It should really depend on what you are up against.

One can't make it overly-complicated but some often-applicable rules of thumb might suffice.

Maybe something like this:

if(Enemy fleet has small ships in it)

use Spread-Fire

else if(my fleet has more ships than enemy)

use Guillotine

else

use Nosebreaker

I even think there already are rules that are something like this. Didn't look at it very deeply since I consider the bad designs more of an issue than wrong-targetting-option.

"I was looking at the ships for a late game Endless Craver AI. I'm no longer impressed with my ability to match him him militarily."

In Vanilla the AI for a long time had massive troubles to work out their economy. Very often they kinda killed themselves by overtaxing their people into rebellion and then having to sell improvements. This had been fixed over the time.

Now in Disharmony, where emphasizis has shifted towards more important decision-making during and before combat, it turns out that the weakest spot of the AI now lies here.

That's why I think that creating competative AI-Ship-Design-Templates is really important to keep good players at it.

For me the last few games (Serios/Impossible) all started like this: The AI looks really fearsome. Fast expansion, big fleets with high MP... But when you engage those fleets in combat you can wipe them out with much less MP simply because they are so bad!

Even the percentage-based bonusses on the higher-difficulty-levels don't cut it if the underlying base is so bad.

Making AI-Ship-design-templates is no rocket-science. So every modder should easily grasp how it's done. I'd think it would be great if different people would make different races with different approaches that are known to be better than what the AI does. This would even add some flavour to races when you know that it's different stuff they like most.

At the end we can throw them all together, have Meedoc/ThorTillas/ourselves review them for potential mistakes and get them into a patch... Now that sounds like what Games2Gether is all about.
  • 0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 10, 2013, 6:55:39 PM
    ThorTillas wrote:
    Nope, currently, we use a "Random" to choose the ship. And I agree that we should use something else...

Odd... normally, siege ships are not used by the "military" part... I define the ship utility by comparing the Military power to the invasion power. If the invasion power is greater than 0.5f (not sure if it 0.5 or 0.8) then I don't use it as military...

Did you have a save with can describe this odd behavior?

Perhaps the siege fleet was just "gathering" on the system when you attack it... so it was not a "defense" but an "attack" which has been intercepted...

Sure.

Here are 2 pictures from my last game of the AI Craver separated by 4 turns (also attached are the saves Save.zip). You can see he has massive amounts of Siege in his defense fleets. It might be that he ships were indeed gathering at the system prior to be assigned to another fleet. I've not worked through the fleet AI manager, so I'm guessing here. In the save, you can also see that almost half of his design pre-dreadnaught are seige designs (that use siege module 3 instead of 4).

More speculation from my part: If he is building randomly, then he would have a high number of siege ships. Then if he sends his combat ships off to die, but keeps his siege ships at home, you'd gradually see the population of siege ships overwhelm the population of non-siege ships, because nothing is killing the siege ships. Then the "defense" fleets would look as they do, but not by design, just a emergent behavior.
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 10, 2013, 7:43:21 PM
    Ail wrote:
    "

• Did you figure out how exactly "FleetWeight" works?"

Would it probably help to make copies of the designs of which I want the AI to use more, so that the random picking has a higher chance of picking one of them?

That would work, although some sort of frequency weighting would be better. What we have now leads to the situation with siege ships I describe above.

Say I have 6 Small designs but 10 Medium and 15 Large, would that probably lead to the AI building more large designs?

Yes. But I think it should be the other way around (You know how I feel about ship design). I see the AI building 1 medium $600 ships and 1 small $100 ship. That means you are spending 6/7 of your economy on a big useless ship. I think a 6:1 small to medium would be a much better way to do it.

Much better would be if FleetWeight would just work.

Yes. It would be a start in a better direction.

"
  • What are you using as the AI targetting plan? What can I do to convince you (and Meedoc) to make it spreadfire 100%?"

Well, I disagree with Spreadfire 100%...

It should really depend on what you are up against.

One can't make it overly-complicated but some often-applicable rules of thumb might suffice.

Maybe something like this:

if(Enemy fleet has small ships in it)

use Spread-Fire

else if(my fleet has more ships than enemy)

use Guillotine

else

use Nosebreaker

• Marcelo_0 wrote:

• Added variety in the AI attack targeting
    • The AI select the best formation & targeting; not anymore randomly one from 3
    • Lowered weight for Retreat and Offensive Retreat
    • Updated weight on formation & targeting for the AI to choose

It was: 33% for each Spreadfire, Guillotine, or Nosebreaker. I now believe it does the following:

From AIParametersBattleCard_Xp1_locales.xml we have:

Making AI-Ship-design-templates is no rocket-science. So every modder should easily grasp how it's done. I'd think it would be great if different people would make different races with different approaches that are known to be better than what the AI does. This would even add some flavour to races when you know that it's different stuff they like most.

Well, I actually find ship optimization to rather challenging. Creating templates that are universal enough to work for all tech levels, economic developments, and enemy fleet designs is complicated. Engines Modules are a good example. Who needs engines? Power Modules is another example, under what circumstances do you use power modules?

At the end we can throw them all together, have Meedoc/ThorTillas/ourselves review them for potential mistakes and get them into a patch... Now that sounds like what Games2Gether is all about.

That's why I'm trying to help.
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 10, 2013, 8:54:28 PM
    thuvian wrote:
    Well, I actually find ship optimization to rather challenging. Creating templates that are universal enough to work for all tech levels, economic developments, and enemy fleet designs is complicated. Engines Modules are a good example. Who needs engines? Power Modules is another example, under what circumstances do you use power modules?

They don't have to be all perfect.

I think even simple things can improve it a lot.

Like:

Small ships only Long-Ranged

no Repair-Mod on small ships

As for Power-Modules: The high-end ones get good on small ships, since they have a stacking boost for all ships. The low-end ones, however, are pretty much useless.

As for engines: I only put them in the templates for the ships that have this -75% on engine-tonnage.

Gonna make another race now. In a few days I shall be done. Hope trying it out in the end will be fun.

@Meedoc/ThorTillas:

I also am thinking about how to teach the AI the Retreat after long-range-trick.

Would something like this work:

The problem is that I would need several of this things work together to trigger the retreat. Let's say 3 of these conditions fit, so I already get a value of 1.2 and then the fleet would retreat for no reason.
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 11, 2013, 3:14:47 AM
    Retreat Rules

• I think you are missing the negative weights to the things that would make the fleet stay (e.g., Short Range should be -0.4).

AI Fleet Design

• I tried out a experimental game with the start of my modified Harmony Fleet Designs. I never had a chance.

Some Suggested Guidelines for Retreats

• Long Range
      • BASIC - You are outgunned.
      • BASIC - You ships are low on health.
      • MODERATE - Enemy Fleet has few Long Range weapons relative to Short & Medium Range Weapons
      • MODERATE - You do not have many Long Range weapons and the enemy has many Medium and Short Range Weapons.
      • ADVANCED - You can survive running away.
    • Medium Range
      • BASIC - You are outgunned.
      • BASIC - You ships are low on health.
      • MODERATE - Enemy Fleet has few Medium Range weapons relative to Short Range Weapons
      • MODERATE - You do not have many Medium Range weapons and the enemy has many Short Range Weapons.
      • ADVANCED - You can survive running away.
      • ADVANCED - You have many Long Range weapons, the enemy is still strong, he does not have many Medium Range weapons, and he has many Short Range Weapons.
    • Short Range
      • BASIC - You probably shouldn't.

0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Nov 23, 2013, 9:38:38 AM
    It might look strange that I ask these things since you'd probably think that I'm one of those who knows this stuff already but I have a few questions about the ShipDesignRacename.xml's:

How exactly does "FleetWeight" work? I once fiddled around with it but it seemed to change absolutely nothing.

My expectation would be that FleetWeight determines how often a specific design is made as in:

Build Probability=FleetWeight/Sum of All FleetWeights

Apparently with a line like this:

you can force a specific module-type. But is it also possible to force a specific weapon-range?

My two goals are:

Make the AI use small ships as LR-Glass-cannons since defenses work poorly on small designs with their massive Hull-weakness anyways.

Make the AI use more big ships in comparison to small ones when bigger ships are available since their much greater durability renders the small ones kinda obsolete.
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 13, 2013, 1:12:52 AM
    Sorry for being ambiguous. Yes. The AI performed very well.

Some observations

• The AI SuperDefender class ships start around 600 Industry. That's a massive speed bump if it builds any.
    • ShipDesign.xml needs to be update in addition to the individual AI profiles.
    • The Ships in ShipDesign.xml are hardcoded and leave much of the ship empty.
    • The AI ship designs feature engines, power modules, scout modules, repair, and tonnage modules. Very rarely are they good choices.
    • Just fixing these things lets the Harmony AI out expand the other AIs.
    • The siege module weights need to be fixed as I mentioned previously in the thread.

My thoughts on build guidelines

• No Engines, Power, Scout, Repair, or tonnage modules on small or medium ships.
    • Maybe use Engines, Power, Scout, Repair, or tonnage modules on large ships, but I doubt it.
    • I don't have good ideas about large ship design, perhaps 1 power: 1 repair: 1 armor: 25 defenses: 50 weapons?
    • Put enough weapons on a large ship to kill a medium/light ship in each combat round per range phase.
    • Special Slots are a trap. I'm not sure they are useful for combat ships.
    • Fighters/Bombers should belong on small ships, so you can maximize percentage bonuses on large ships.
    • Except for the Harmony2 hull which gets -75% fighter/bomber weight, which is an okay deal.
    • Combat ship Fighters/Bombers should always be battle designs.
    • Three designs of siege ships, 1 with elite troops, 1 with siege bombers, and 1 with only siege modules.
    • Limit the number of possible siege designs, otherwise they will end up dominating fleet composition. This results in game states where there are tons of siege ships, and none with guns. Potentially just design hybrid ships for the AI.
    • With an equal chance of building any ship and equal numbers of variations of each ship class, the AI will end up dominating its economic fleet composition with large ships. Example: If you have 1 of each class of small, medium and large, you'll end up with a fleet consisting of one of each. However, that small ships cost 200, the medium 500, and the large 3000. So the majority of your AIs economy is nested in the big ships. This means that you either need to work on weighting the ships better, or designing really good big ships.
    • Hard coding kinetic long range modules and laser medium range modules, sounds like a good idea, but then AI can't switch them to something else if the player builds his ships to account for this. I suppose we could design the three different versions of glass cannons and then the ai will build equal amounts of each. That might work.
    • I need to setup a system so I can watch the AI develop after changing templates.
    • Not sure what to do with Scouts (which currently have minimal weapons) or Scouts & Colony ships (which have engines).

[code]

ShipDesignName="%ShipClassHarmonySmall2Title">

0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 18, 2013, 12:51:17 AM
    With just the few changes I made, the AI is much harder. After my attempts at Endless met with disaster, I've been trying on the second hardest difficulty.

If anyone wants to try it out, here are the updates I made for the Harmony. It isn't in a mod form, you'll need to drop them into your Disharmony install for it to work. Backup your files before you do it. This is a work in progress. On the bright side, you can also load a base Harmony game and if you have the Harmony AI it will change to reflect these new build plans.

Simulation/ShipDesign.xml - The default ships

Simulation/SupportModule.xml - Attempt to fix the weighting of the various siege modules

AI/ShipDesignHarmony.xml - The Harmony upgrade ship plans

AI/parameters/AIParametersBattleCard_Xp1_Locales.xml - Changing targeting rules to heavily favor spreadfire.

The ship designs aren't the perfect yet. I'm still working on refining the math behind which ship designs and fleet composition weighting. However, it still puts up much more of a fight and I think you'll be pleased at the difference.

To uninstall write over the files with the ones you backed up, or just validate and repair using Steam.

HarmonyShipRedesignv1.zip
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 18, 2013, 11:30:08 AM
    Had a look at your changes and there's some points that I found questionable.

In Battle-Cards you kinda forced to use spread-fire all the time.

I can imagine that it works very well against you because you said you only use small ships all the time and consider the big ones a waste of ressources. Against a 4-Dreadnough-fleet with high defenses and repair-modules this would be a totally awful choice!

It should use a sophisticated logic that probably is not doable with XML.

I'd say:

DefaultFleetTargeting should get these modifieres:

myWeaponMissile 1 (since you can't reatarget)

BiggerFleet 1 (if I'm bigger I'll probably eliminate the opposing fleet anyways)

FocusFireFleetTargeting should get:

myWeaponKinetics 1 (I can retarget often enough to switch target after each destroyed vessel)

SmallerFleet 1 (if I'm smaller I want to try to kill at least one of the enemies)

StrongFireFleetTargeting I would leave it blank so it can randomly be taken when none of the other conditions meet (which will rarely happen)

In ShipDesignHarmony.xml you took out the Tonnage-Modules of all ships. This might be okay for small glass-cannons in order to make them cheaper. But on the medium and big-ships I would try to get as much stuff on as possible and definately not leave out tonnage-modules.
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 18, 2013, 12:24:26 PM
    Ail wrote:
    Had a look at your changes and there's some points that I found questionable.

In Battle-Cards you kinda forced to use spread-fire all the time.

I can imagine that it works very well against you because you said you only use small ships all the time and consider the big ones a waste of ressources. Against a 4-Dreadnough-fleet with high defenses and repair-modules this would be a totally awful choice!

It should use a sophisticated logic that probably is not doable with XML.

Technically, it is possible. But it isn't currently implemented in the game, so that's something we could wish for.

I've been thinking about how a more straightforward way to do the ship design and targeting is to create a matrix of anti-ship-type designs. So an anti-destroyer destroyer, an anti-cruiser destroyer, and an anti-dreadnaught destroyer. I'm also working my way through the ship sizes. I've found that a reasonable counter to the glass cannons (when they use spreadfire) is now using the 2 defense cruiser design (-50% defense weight is also useful). Otherwise I end up trading 1 for 1 on glass cannons, which gets me to either an economy race (where the AI is better) or a race to the minimal design (which is weak to alternative ship designs which the AI uses at random). Mind you, I'm still not sold on the larger ships being mandatory. As it stands now I'm building $88 missile destroyers to destroy the AIs $300 Dual Defense Cruiser.

I'd say:

DefaultFleetTargeting should get these modifieres:

myWeaponMissile 1 (since you can't reatarget)

BiggerFleet 1 (if I'm bigger I'll probably eliminate the opposing fleet anyways)

FocusFireFleetTargeting should get:

myWeaponKinetics 1 (I can retarget often enough to switch target after each destroyed vessel)

SmallerFleet 1 (if I'm smaller I want to try to kill at least one of the enemies)

StrongFireFleetTargeting I would leave it blank so it can randomly be taken when none of the other conditions meet (which will rarely happen)

If you have more ships, then SpreadFire is actually Nose-Breaker. If you have bigger ships, you are going to be over-killing (at least you should be), so you want to Spreadfire. If you have fewer ships (equal size), you are going to die without doing much regardless much. The only situation that focus fire seems to be if you have weak ships that can do some damage, but not very much. I think that the AI may gain more advantage out of exploiting its economic bonuses by using lots of ships rather than to trying to rig special Focus Firing situations. As it stands in my current game, whenever the AI doesn't SpreadFire it loses.

In ShipDesignHarmony.xml you took out the Tonnage-Modules of all ships. This might be okay for small glass-cannons in order to make them cheaper. But on the medium and big-ships I would try to get as much stuff on as possible and definately not leave out tonnage-modules.

I've got mixed feelings about the tonnage-modules. They increase the base size of the ship, sure. But that also increases the size of all of the % modules. So your modules that use 10% will knock off 10% of the tonnage-module. Then you have the price tag. The weight tonnage-modules are super expensive. You can buy a whole destroyer for the price of a tonnage-module. Still though, the size is nice. With a power modules the extra weight is most useful. However, if you are over-killing, which you'll probably be doing, over-killing by more is just a waste.

Repair versus Armor

I've been meaning to do the math on comparing the two modules. Repair is 20%, Armor is 15%. Max Repair gives you +2% heal? That's an effective health gain per phase of (1+Total.Defense.Per.Type/HullWeakness)*Health Regen. In contrast Armor gives you more effective health (1+Total.Defense.Per.Type*1.30)/HullWeakness*1.75*BaseHealth. That's a lot of health from armor, if you can get the defenses high enough to block enough damage. Of course, now we've got problems of invulnerable ships. How to deal with them is a question we've seen lately. The first idea is to keep hitting them with pure glass cannon destroyers in the same turn. Sure they might use x3 healths, but you should be able to afford a ton of destroyers. Alternatively you can use your own defensive dreadnaughts, but that would end in a stalemate. The super dreadnaughts would either have all three defenses (roughly equal value) or focus on 1 or 2 of them. If they are built with a weakness, you just send in a disposable fleet of GCs that target that defense in long range. The dreadnaughts should die before they can retreat. Obviously, that's a bad plan, so we should see dreadnaughts with omni-defense (3 defenses roughly equal). As a amusingly non-answer, these ships are weak to, amusingly enough, bombers, which can then be countered by some fighters and point defense. So then we still have to deal with the omni-defense, which requires picking the most cost effective weapon, and just using lots and lots of it. At some level, that might be destroyer bombers. Against 3 dreadnaughts you can bring in 9 destroyers and 18 bombers. That's a lot of bomber damage, even with a reasonable anti-bomber defense. Of course, at least 1 destroyer needs to survive to let the battle last past the long range phase, but without spread fire, that's simple enough. Will glass cannons be enough? I still need to run the math, but defenses would have to be 300% more effective than weapons to overcome the cost difference (you need to build all three defenses, only 1 works against the glass cannons). Sure you'll be able to rotate the ships but, but they are cheap and don't care if they die.

Engines

I've undervalued engines. In colony ships I can see them being much more useful. I put them back. Other ships I'm not sure about. However, the AI might be able to get some use out of a support ship with power & engines for fleet bonuses.
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 19, 2013, 12:59:52 PM
    Despite being quite different to my own, your approach is really interesting.

I think for the Harmony that might be the better strategy afterall.

For races that use heros and pay upkeep, however, I still think it is wiser to make fleets that are meant to survive and be more cp-efficient rather than just industry-efficient.

Ships do level up aswell and the boni they get for that are quite significant.

And of course you will never want to make a Dread with a weakness to any weapon-type.

What kind of approach is better, actually would once again depend on the situation. If you have enough time to prepare you'll probably want to have stronger ships, while you'll need to churn out as many glass-cannons as quickly as possible to trade them away, when you are attacked with little to no preparation. For the Harmony that's not so much the question since they won't pay any upkeep anyways and can easily afford to have tons of week ships.

At the end, to really tell what's best when one would have to try a lot of this.
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 19, 2013, 8:37:45 PM
    Can the AI uses siege bombs? I've seen them use troops, so that's good. However, I don't recall them using bombs.

I bring this up because the AI doesn't want to research level 1 bombers. The tech entry is:

The tech entry for Armor 2 + Troops is:

So that side of the tree gets preference. Once there, it has access to more powerful military techs and so don't come back for bombers.

I'm thinking of:

to make bombers more desirable.

Then:

To stop the AI from going further up the tree to the useless level 3 siege module.
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 20, 2013, 3:40:26 PM
    I agree. The tech-choices of the AI are also a point that can and should be looked at.

It's really easy to fix stuff here.

Also a lower value doesn't mean they won't come back to it since the decision always also considers the research-cost.
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 21, 2013, 9:26:03 PM
    Some notes about editing the ship templates.

• The weights per module type are based on mass used, not number of modules.
    • The sum of all non-negative weights is somehow related to module distribution. It isn't straightforward. As a rough rule of thumb, start with a total summed weight of 1.
    • You can use -X to add X of a specific module. (I've confirmed this for 1,3,4).
    • You can specify weapon module type and range.
    • You can specify troop, fighter, and bomber type.
    • You can add modules that AI does not have research access to. (In ShipDesigns.xml they build the modules without access. In ShipDesignRace.xml they design the ship with the module absent).
    • You can design ships that exceed the ship's weight (in ShipDesigns.xml they build them anyway, in ShipDesignRace.xml they won't. You might be able to make them do it via hard weighting (i.e., -10))
    • The AI will use new templates in saved games.
    • You have to restart Endless Space in you want to see changes in AI template use.
    • The save files are in .bzip2 format.
    • I use 7zip to open, modify, and save them.
    • Delete number string from your savegame and resave it to load as an AI.
    • Ship design template names are based on your locale language files.
    • Ship design templates without names are given the ship class name.
    • I don't know what triggers the AI to redesign ships. However, if you delete all the ships the AI can build, it will redesign them.
    • You don't have to end a turn to make the AI design ships. Load a saved game as another player. Wait until the AI is done, save, remove SteamID from the file, and then reload as the AI of interest.

0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 23, 2013, 1:58:42 AM
    "ShipDesigns.xml" is only for the pre-made designs like the basic defender, colony-ship and scout. The AI usually redesigns those even before building any. I wouldn't even bother messing with it. All the important stuff is in ShipDesignRace.xml.

Other than that nice wrap up of the things to know when messing with that. (nothing new for me but probably for others)
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 25, 2013, 7:52:06 PM
    • I find that bullet points make my posts easier to process.
    • I've found that much of the accumulated knowledge is lost in the forum or when individuals stop visiting the forum. This was a contribution to preserving the knowledge, so that those that come after us have an easier time.
    • Anyone know if the AI can use siege bombs?
    • Early on the AI builds tons of ships. Sometimes it sticks with some of the predesign.xml ships. I'm not sure what circumstances that occurs under.
    • Syntax errors in your xml files will prevent the file from loading, and may not even generate an noticeable error. I've resorted to an online xml validator. I should get a offline program to do it, but haven't gotten around to it.
    • Dreadnoughts are proving harder to design. Sometimes the ships I create have missing modules and extra free space left over. I'm not certain what is causing it. I do know that going over a summed weight of 1 causes some problems. I'm not sure how the -X weights fit into the picture.
    • One of the early Ai successes was a 200/200/0 armor/shield/flakk design (on the -50% weight of defenses cruiser). That was a vicious surprise. It took down my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation glass cannons with ease. It suffered virtually no damage from them. The solution was to build ~$50 missile glass cannons (just tech 1 with massive discounts). It was great.
    • I've under-weighted the economic bounces of the resource monopolies, getting 60% off from resources and and additional 50% off from racial traits from construction costs makes things really cheap. Missile destroyers get a ton of bonus from that (as well as lasers). It may even be worthwhile to stick with just level 1 missile destroyers. Possibly even using focus fire (probably not though).Against a normal ~3k dreadnought, you can send 30-60!!! of them and still be at an economic advantage. Level 1 and 2 Kinetics don't have the resource cost reduction, so that reduces their cost effectiveness. I'm not sure if that is a typo for the level 2 kinetics.
    • The experienced ship argument doesn't hold up as well as portrayed. It is because the disposal ships also can be built to start with the same bonus xp (due to buildings). For the tougher ships to get more of an advantage they have to get a ton of experience, whereas the little ships.... Well, let's just say that they really enjoy life.
    • Metal Memory gives the Harmony a truly terrifying bonus once they get going. It does make up for not having heroes.
    • The +1% FIDS per strategic resource is horribly abusive, especially once you build the +1 strategic resource exploitation on planets.

0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Dec 31, 2013, 6:55:05 AM
    • Next version of my Harmony Ship List. This one fixes some of the dead space, hard sets many weapons to long range, fixes armor module addition, and adds some alternative dreadnaught designs.
    • Still need to determine how module priority is determined.
    • Still need to evaluate a good armor/defense ratio.
    • Still need to test how to deal with more dead weight with larger ship designs.
    • Still need to find out if the AI can use bombs.

ShipDesignHarmony.zip
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Jan 2, 2014, 12:18:52 PM
    So far I've redone combat-hulls for the first 8 races.

Still to do:

Sowers, United Empire, Sheredyn and Vaulters
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Jan 2, 2014, 7:00:20 PM
    I'll give the end of the list an attempt and work my way backwards.

I'm putting my notes here in case I get hit by a bus so someone else can finish it.

United Empire

Racial Traits

• +40% Health
    • Armor is a better investment

Racial Ship Traits

• Transport 40% seed
    • Corvette -25% support module weight
    • Destroyer -5% ship cost on star system
    • Cruiser -25% weapon module weight
    • Battleship -15% ship cost on star system
    • Dreadnought -30% ship cost on star system

• The Corvette may be able to support 2 armor modules, instead of 30% weight it is 22.5%. This combines with the +40% health bonus.
    • The Corvette may be the fleet support module ship with power, engine, and repair modules.
    • The Cruiser will trend towards being a heavy hitter, with -25% weapon module weight.
    • The remainder of their ship bonuses are generic cost reductions. This makes their ships relatively cheaper, but does not encourage certain lines of module development. However, the savings increases as the hull size increases, so we should trend towards bigger ships. This is contingent upon the cost bonus actually working, which it did not in previous versions. A quick test on the destroyer suggests it works.

Existing Ship Designs

• They have a laser based theme in weapons.
    • This is flavor, because I don't see anything in their racials to suggest they are better at lasers.

UE Specific Racial Technologies

• The UE have no important to utilize specific racial technologies.
    • Armor6terran has +50% health compared to other races. Very late game, probably not important.
    • Armor3terran is in the module list, but is not present in the tech tree.
    • ModuleSupportInvasion5Terran is a high level seige module that is pretty standard.
    • Fighter/Bomber4 have Terran unique stats. Very late game, probably not important.

Conclusions

• Add some Corvette variations that use 2 armor modules.
    • Arbitrarily pick hulls for specializations (seige, carriers).
    • Focus Cruisers on weapon designs.
    • Take advantage of the Strong Alloy Bonus by building ships that have extra health compared to baseline ships or add more armor modules to getter even tougher ships.
    • The Economy of the UE would allow for more expensive ships or pay the upkeep on more cheap ships.
    • Tonnage modules are too expensive $350 for 25 or $1000 for 50 even for the UE.

About halfway through the list before I need to do some other things. I'll finish it and post my thoughts on it later.
    0Send private message
    11 years ago
    Jan 2, 2014, 7:48:47 PM
    Your thoughts are way more sophisticated than the simple approach I've been using for all races.

That's why I thought that one person per race would be better. But with noone else caring this hasn't really worked out.

I'll do the Sowers now.

Oh, I also made a mistake. I have the Sheredyn already, but they were called "Emperor". But I lack the Cravers as they are called "Swarm".
    0Send private message
    ?

Click here to login

Comment