Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

New Race Ideas

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 3:50:39 PM
closer76 wrote:
Another inspiration for that side is the System Shock 2 series and my love for SHODAN, which, to me, is the coolest evil AI ever created.

Oh man, I LOVED System Shock 2 and SHODAN was downright spooky-evil! I forgot all about that game it's been so long!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 3:36:59 PM
very interesting idea. If in the final release we can mod the ship's graphics files....

I'll think a little bit and then I tell you my idea, even if my first thought is something like the Empire from Star Wars smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 2:52:44 PM
craigbic wrote:
I think the Unity race is awesome and I can't wait for the mod! smiley: cool

Thanks!

To ozziestig: Yeah, they sound like the Geth, but in all honesty, are the geth that original? The idea of computers taking over the world is pretty old hack by now, and the Geth are merely a variation on it. My race is more inspired by a few things: A) Blade Runner (the whole cyborg thing), B) I just LOVE the idea of having a computer race settle on Artic planets just so they can Overclock their CPUs and C) I just love the image of a Cyborg civilization that lives on a lava planet for production since they have no need of food. It is just so cold (no pun intended) and mechanistic. Also, I hope (if the coding allows it) to even make food be converted for a small portion of Industry for this side, and that they literally have to build population points. I think that would make them super unique.

Anyways, I won't lie and say the Geth didn't in part inspire me, but I love this concept, which was explored long before the Mass Effect universe (which is brilliantly well done) was ever conceived. Perhaps the first, best example of it is Forbidden Planet (one of my favorite movies). Another inspiration for that side is the System Shock 2 series and my love for SHODAN, which, to me, is the coolest evil AI ever created.

Also, thanks for the complement on being close to the canon, I was shooting for that.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 1:56:57 PM
Dude really good they seem to fit into the cannon of the game.

Unity is the best one but sounds like the geth from mass effect.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 21, 2012, 1:10:53 PM
Gordon wrote:
I really really like the idea of the UNITY race! Awesome smiley: smile

Thanks so much, they're my favorite too! I only just got into Endless Space, and didn't realize they were having the Race contest till it was too late, now I'm kicking myself for it. Anyways, I'll make it a mod once the game allows it.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 2:59:19 PM
Well, it's not exactly a lizard, but you gave me an idea:

The Drakenkin

A race of highly intelligent dragon-like creatures, their species evolved when a massive Endless craft crash landed on their planet, filling the planet with Dust and Endless technology. As their ancestor lizards first began to fly and think, they began to reverence the Endless as gods, and built great temples in their honor. They developed a highly sophisticated techno-religion, and aided by their power of flight and the Endless technology, quickly made headway toward their moon (which they reverence as the highest goddess of their religion). Upon arriving, they were thrilled to find a massive temple of the Endless. Taking this as a good omen, they have now set their sights on the stars they see in the sky (the lesser gods and goddesses) and wish to find the promised land as spoken of in their ancient texts, the land where the Endless first originated.

Homeworld: Jungle

Alignment: Good

Victory Type: Science

Drakenkin Affinity:

Moons automatically surveyed upon settling the planet

Searchers of Knowledge: +20% Science rate

Intricate Knowledge of Dust: +20% Dust rate

Neophytes of the Endless: +5 Happy all systems per Endless Temple found

Masters of Flight: +2 move to ships

Explored Moon: Homeworld has moon already explored with a temple

Endless Tech on Homeworld: Homeworld gains this positive trait

Motivated by Religious Sites: -10% FIDS on planet without Endless Temple or Tech

Unique Tech: Reliquaries (about half-way across the Science Tree), allows the construction of a Reliquary on a planet that does not have a natural religious site, negating the negative bonus accrued.

And their homeworld:

0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 1:08:51 PM
Now if only some of the suggested races were lizards... I didn't participate in the race design competition because the massive size of the thread intimidated me. I have no clue what's been suggested, but I do mean to read it at some point. Hmm. Maybe I should make a lizardfan group and try to recruit for it.

In any case, I hope lots of new-faction mods get built by people. It'd be pretty cool, narratively speaking, to assemble unique universes entirely out of custom factions.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 11:49:36 AM
Thanks! I really am chomping at the bit for the ability to mod this game. It is going to be fun as a barrel of Rigellian Slime worms!
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 20, 2012, 11:00:05 AM
Nice work! I especially like the the Unity. Great pictures too.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment