Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

modding questions

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 7:01:34 PM
I have released three mods successfully and I can do this without a single crash. Let us work together to make you successful at modding also. Sorry, but let us please start with a very simple change.

1. Verify your game cache on steam to make sure all your files are correct and up to date. Start the game and make sure it does not crash.

2. Open sharedassets17.assets in your editor, *do not make any changes*, and save the file. Does the game crash? Then use a different editor.

3. Open sharedassets17.assets again and make a simple, visible change such as changing the faction cost as mentioned here:

/#/endless-space/forum/37-modding/thread/15648-released-race-s-trait-points-changing

4. I recommend changing the "60" to "99" which is visible but does not change white space. Save, open the game, and create a custom faction. Do you see the adjusted point cost? Congratulations, you have modded the game successfully.

I agree this change is a very simple one. I agree that it would be nice if the game printed some syntax error instead of crashing. There are lots of things that would be nice. However, if you follow the above instructions, I guarantee you will be able to mod the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 5:30:15 PM
Hupailija wrote:
Look at my mod, say how it is possible to do without completly rewriting some parts of that file.

Yours,

Hupailija

REALLY, i am not in the situation for jokes!!

I feel total bad over try and try.

I NEED that line, because i had them in there before i patch the game.

I not understand what you mean, that i look at your Mod to find a help??!

WHEN you know what i can do, why you not tell it me.

I have not the power to load your Mod to make a riddle, or will the way to solve my problem so obviously when i look in your files?

I not understand, the poster AmpliMath said, they work to make the game moddable. But WHY he give no help to solve that problem what many others also have?! What they want do, can`t be solve the mistake!!!

PLEASE, i not like speak bad about the game, also it is not good. BUT i want to make it good for me and others who have problems with the cheating AI.

So again dear Hupailija, when you can help, pleeeeease do it

With regards, Marlow
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 4:31:38 PM
Marlow wrote:
In my long life i played many games, but this here is the first, which is absolute stupid!!

A game like this MUST be moddable, or it isn´t good!!!

A bit you can, like changing values, but that is all.

Copy paste new lines in NOT work.

Okay, i wrote the lines new and made a correction that line numbers and bytes have the same as before i has changed the file.

Really, i make ALL correct, but game crashes and crashes!!!!

And the best is, it says not why.

I have a 10 years old game (Rise of Nations) and when it crashes after modding, it let me now WHERE the mistake is.

Long time i had all ready and played a game, but after 100 turns or so, game slow down so much that it no more was playable!! So i want give the game a second chance and try the last patch. But for the patch i must make all my changes again.

Is this really a game from 2012, because it looks more as one from the 80ies!!!

The only different is, the game needs a VERY powerful machine, but for what?!

Marlow

Look at my mod, say how it is possible to do without completly rewriting some parts of that file.

Yours,

Hupailija
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 2:45:52 PM
Also, certain editing programs apparently dont save it exactly the same way so even though the file size is identical, it doesnt work.

Try using notepad++ to make the edits.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 2:21:14 PM
@Sarg

I know it, i know it!!!

2255064 bytes and 36905 lines i have also after editing!!!

Or you mean i make a thread/post here without searching before!

@Uncle_Joe (under me)

i use Notepad++
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 2:15:05 PM
You're editing compiled files. Therefore the resulting file has to be precisely the same length as the original file or it will unavoidably crash. It has nothing to do with hardware requirements.

If you're going to add a line, you have to remove the same number of characters elsewhere in the file. The most obvious candidate is from some of the comments.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 2:04:55 PM
AmpliMath wrote:
Hi Marlow,

We have started working on the modding now, to allow you to add your modified files in a specific directories, instead of modifying the base content.

We will let you know as soon as we are ready to deliver it.

Cheers,

YES, this will be wonderful and the best way!!

EDIT:

It will not solve the problem that the game always crashes, even though the lines and bytes after editing are correct!!

---------------------------------------------

@Shivetya and Isaac_Wolfe

YES, i to 1000% sure that i all make correct!!

Or will someone of you see a mistake in that line here?:

And also i now what i do, because i was modding many years.

Here one of my Mods: http://www.gamefront.com/files/16886659/Kings_Bounty_Mod__final__rar

And at time it is my honest opinion that this game looks like a 10/15 years earlier game, because nothing new. It is not necessary and not incomprehensible that this game need a so great power machine! I have a good PC but in later game it will be unplayable of slow down soooo much!!

At time i am so disappointed!!!

Marlow

@flipstar

i NOT like be a beta tester after game was ready for sold.

Is it so hard to understand smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 1:52:32 PM
My el' cheapo 'ultra portable' notebook can run this game past 100 turns, so I'm interested in why you directly blame the game itself for your immediate slow downs crashes. But to each is his own I guess.

The devs are working hard to interface with the community and encourage development, so if you'd aimed for your post to taken as constructive criticism then please by all means keep on posting as you play around with it some more, as of course, the more problems found the better. However, if it is as frustrating as you believe, then it's better to just give up and move on I believe? Comparing a 10 year old game to ES is unfair, and similar to comparing lets say Microsoft Frontpage with Dreamweaver, blaming Dreamweaver as a program for its faults based on Frontpage's immediate ease of use.

Anyway thanks Marlow smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 1:46:30 PM
I that you are making an unfair misjudgment saying the game looks out of the 80's. It isn't top of the line as some other games, but ES is visibly beautiful.

How do you know that you are doing everything right? I understand that there is no error message, but how do you know you are doing everything right? I am not trying to insult your intelligence or anything, but most modding mistakes are user error -- not the game itself.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 1:42:00 PM
Really confused as to why you think the game looks as if its from the 80s, I started gaming in the 70s... and believe the 80s are nothing like what we have now.

Really, i make ALL correct, but game crashes and crashes!!!!

Obviously you are mistaken
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 19, 2012, 1:35:34 PM
Hi Marlow,

We have started working on the modding now, to allow you to add your modified files in a specific directories, instead of modifying the base content.

We will let you know as soon as we are ready to deliver it.

Cheers,
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment