Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Space and Modding

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 6, 2012, 7:13:54 PM
i don´t know about buildings but there are luxury articles on planets.

If you control them you get Empire wide bonuses.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 9, 2012, 7:26:19 PM
LoiCus- wrote:
Not too sure if that is what you want, but you can change planets by terraforming them. Up to you to create your own planet types. The planet type required to apply a specific terraformation is customizable in the XML files.

I would like to add/change anomalies and change planet type as part of the mod, during the game. This is really an "event" with a trigger and an effect. For example, when craver points expire (trigger) convert planet into asteroids (effect). When invasion finishes using this bioplague weapon (trigger) add a negative food anomaly to the planet (effect). Not sure if this is what Hupa meant, but this is what I would like.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 9, 2012, 3:36:43 PM
To make it blunt:

I am trying to find way to make following system (or atleast make illusion that there is following system):

Race has 5-6 different "empire improvements/traits" which can be changed depending of situation.

Easy way to make it would have been via tech tree or events but since neither is possible it's time to figure out some more interesting way.

(and this is where I start to think and you can ignore everything inside:

one option would be to make buildings which triggers empire wide bonuses and are repeatable)

To that building,

I was more like thinking that if you build building X you can link building X to tech and via empire wide bonuses increase building X stats.

or to be make it more clearer:

In Endless Dream Swarm has building called Queen, is it possible to improve Queen if you research more "techonologies".. or is possible to completly hide Queen named improvement after you have build new version of Queen. (ok, that did sound confusing)

To last:

Spirits speciality is that their buildings produces tradable recourses what are valuable to others but not for them, is this possible?

If I say something is impossible will you believe me? How about I say I am "pretty sure"?

Then I say: "I have to find way to circle around that wall of impossiblessness and use some uglier method" smiley: wink .

You know when you meet "impossible factor" you have 3 choices: a) forget whole thing, b) prove that it's possible, c) make illusion that you did and let others wonder why their game lags smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 9, 2012, 3:06:50 PM
True, you can only research techs once.

For events, the only "control" you can get is by editing a save file. The random events are at the end of it. Right now, choices aren't possible and most behaviours are hardcoded.

It is possible to have a building as a prereq for another building. Take StarSystemImprovement.xml for example, there's an unused tag called "PathsPrerequisites". Nothing requires prereqs in the game right now so it's always empty. But say you want StarSystemImprovementFood2 to only appear when StarSystemImprovementFood1 is built, add a prerequisite with the correct path ( here, it would be : $(ClassStarSystem/StarSystemImprovementFood1) ).

Also Planet improvements have a "family" system, that uses upgrades. The "problem" is that they're mutually exclusive (F/I/D/S)

Not too sure if that is what you want, but you can change planets by terraforming them. Up to you to create your own planet types. The planet type required to apply a specific terraformation is customizable in the XML files.

Only one anomaly can be added to a planet (for visual effects, GUI reasons, etc), but by creating your own reductions / additions you can "terraform" anomalies - sort of.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 9, 2012, 2:17:29 PM
If I say something is impossible will you believe me? How about I say I am "pretty sure"?

For technologies, whether you have researched it appears to be stored as a boolean. So, there would be no way to research a tech twice. You can buy a ship multiple times, and you can buy/scrap a building multiple times, but I am "pretty sure" you cannot mark a tech as un-researched.

For events, I do know for a fact that the only event scope is "global" or "factionwide" and occuring at a time. You cannot make more flexible events. You cannot make events with choices. This is confirmed by the dev team and they "hope" to do this someday.

As far as I know, one building cannot be a prereq for a building. Only techs and planet type. Maybe there is a flag we can examine which returns "is this building present in the system"; if so, then we could try giving that flag as a prereq. But as far as I know there is no such flag, nothing in the game behaves like that today.

As far as I know, buildings cannot generate resources. There is no way to change what a planet does, except the hard coded craver thing. It would be nice if we could change planets and add/subtract anomalies but as far as I know it is not possible.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 9, 2012, 1:20:35 PM
For once I need help with modding.

Need answer for following questions:

Is it possible to make technology which can be researched multiple times?

Is it possible to make event which doesn't have random time but which does something spectacular?

Is it possible to upgrade building? (as in if you have one version of building you can by researching techonologies update that specific building)

Is it possible to make building which produces say antimatter?

Further questions may be coming smiley: wink

oh, is it possible to make event with choices if technolgy isn't?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 9, 2012, 12:03:55 PM
The .assets are not totally encrypted. sharedassets17.assets for example: The top seems encrypted but if u scroll down a little u see where u can edit things. Use search and search for "sophon" for example.

btw as i am at it right now here a link to my How To replace soundfiles.

click me
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 9, 2012, 11:59:11 AM
SerinMaldy wrote:
I was looking at your .assest files and thought I would be able to look at them with notepad++ but they appear to be encrypted. Is there another text editor I should be using?

nope you can use sharedassets.assets with notepad++

but you won't be able to open the "resources.assets" not only because of the size but because it is a totaly different thing.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 9, 2012, 2:23:09 AM
I was looking at your .assest files and thought I would be able to look at them with notepad++ but they appear to be encrypted. Is there another text editor I should be using?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 7, 2012, 12:43:49 PM
Rautavirta wrote:
That is unfortunate. What about existing assets? Is there any way to extract ship models to tinker with at the moment?

since there is no way atm to extract the assets file... nope smiley: frown
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 7, 2012, 12:20:07 PM
Pleasure wrote:
I myself am a 3D Modeler, unfortunately it is not possible right now.. i have spent hours finding a way to add assets to the resource.assets file.. with no luck smiley: frown all we can do is wait until Amplitude Studios implements a way to add custom assets or change assets

That is unfortunate. What about existing assets? Is there any way to extract ship models to tinker with at the moment?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 7, 2012, 11:43:16 AM
Rautavirta wrote:
Hullo everybody! Thought I'd bump in on the discussion:

I have a question regarding the modding of ship models. In the initial post, it is indicated that the game runs on Unity and you're discussing with the good peeps at Unityland how to implement possible additions to the main package/bundle/thingy. Has any progress been made on this matter? I've enjoyed the game immensely so far and the possibility of adding more variety to the ship models is something I'd very much like to see in the (near) future.

P.S. Kudos to the dev team for the great game!

I myself am a 3D Modeler, unfortunately it is not possible right now.. i have spent hours finding a way to add assets to the resource.assets file.. with no luck smiley: frown all we can do is wait until Amplitude Studios implements a way to add custom assets or change assets
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 7, 2012, 10:08:07 AM
Hullo everybody! Thought I'd bump in on the discussion:

I have a question regarding the modding of ship models. In the initial post, it is indicated that the game runs on Unity and you're discussing with the good peeps at Unityland how to implement possible additions to the main package/bundle/thingy. Has any progress been made on this matter? I've enjoyed the game immensely so far and the possibility of adding more variety to the ship models is something I'd very much like to see in the (near) future.

P.S. Kudos to the dev team for the great game!
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 6, 2012, 2:09:16 PM
Hupailija wrote:
I'll try to write bit longer reply tomorrow. (then again it's another work day with meetings and so on so I might be rather tired at evening):

Thanks for comprehensive reply. No need for rush, I have to wait till GamersGate send me activation e-mail before I can bought it at all.

So except planet modifications all pretty much possible? That sounds great. Regarding the building, I was thinking about some kind of „wonders“ providing Empire wide bonuses. I do not know wheter something like that is in game or not.

Regards and again - thanks.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 5, 2012, 8:34:29 PM
Pomerancak wrote:
I have recently noticed this topic and it seems my old post about modding should rather go here.

I am wondering about what parameters will be allowed to adjustation in this game. I have heard it is supposed to be the most open 4X regarding the modding. If I understood first post properly all values liste in following bullet points can be changed using basic notepad to edit gama files?

1) hero abilities (adding new, changing order, changing what hero has which abilities, number tweaking etc.)?

2) starting systems (names, numbers of planets, characteristics etc.)?

3) starting Techs for standard/custom race?

4) start bonuses for races, including amount of spendable points etc?

5) tech-tree (prerequisities, development times etc)?

6) system building (benefits, prices, building times etc)?

7) starting techs for standard/custom race?

Thanks in advance for replies.

I'll try to write bit longer reply tomorrow. (then again it's another work day with meetings and so on so I might be rather tired at evening):

1) This is actually rather easy. Though before you start to add new abilities (it's possible though) I recommend to wait until they opens that asset file.

Basically you want to find heroskills from that asset file and edit it's values. Just remember that there is 2 of those. (one tells what skill needs, what it looks like, whats it's description and so on)

2) I sadly haven't yet ventured to those galaxy xmls. I'm quite sure that setting starting system isn't that easy.

3) This is easy, basically it's in traits and command was unlocktech if I remember right.

4) Same, really easy... this is also in traits.

5) I again recommend to wait if you want to add new techs but other than that techA01-12 (and so on) is what you need to edit

6) This is just annoying, again you don't have much space to work with and it's easy to mess that xml completly. I have succesfully added buildings though so it's doable.

7) Same than 3 and 4.

I will tomorrow (as I said) tell more about this (just not in home and don't have endless space installed in laptop).

Oh and you need to use notepad++ or any xml editor to open that file.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 4, 2012, 9:31:56 AM
I have recently noticed this topic and it seems my old post about modding should rather go here.

I am wondering about what parameters will be allowed to adjustation in this game. I have heard it is supposed to be the most open 4X regarding the modding. If I understood first post properly all values liste in following bullet points can be changed using basic notepad to edit gama files?

1) hero abilities (adding new, changing order, changing what hero has which abilities, number tweaking etc.)?

2) starting systems (names, numbers of planets, characteristics etc.)?

3) starting Techs for standard/custom race?

4) start bonuses for races, including amount of spendable points etc?

5) tech-tree (prerequisities, development times etc)?

6) system building (benefits, prices, building times etc)?

7) starting techs for standard/custom race?

Thanks in advance for replies.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 1, 2012, 5:54:40 PM
justathoughtor2 wrote:
I would be greatly interested in creating a static galaxy for single player with a unique, evolving storyline that unfolds as you explore the galaxy. Perhaps I could even create such a mod for each race (faction) in the game. That would be absolutely awesome. I would, however, need some help with the project. Anyone who is interested, feel free to reply to this post and we'll talk when modding capabilities are unlocked by the developers.

I would be extremely interested in this! I'm thinking of Homeworld right now.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 22, 2012, 11:01:50 AM
not a big modder myself but do prefer the one mod at a time setup less conflicts and bugs
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 10, 2012, 4:00:56 PM
AmpliMath wrote:

AI can also be a huge aspect of modding. Right now, we are finishing implementing the last high level code for the AI. The architecture seems to be satisfying, but we have exposed tons of parameters to finely tune the AI during the upcoming months (and we will need your help). I believe these parameters could also be exposed to mod the AI behavior.

This would allow to tune the behavior of the AI through parameters, right? Would the AI also recognize online changes made during a game?

If not - I bet it's not possible - would it be possible to allow modders to replace the AI-module (and reveal the interface for the AI)? Or is the current AI too intertwined with other parts of the game that such a clear cut isn't possible?

best regards
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment