Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Space and Modding

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 8:40:04 PM
Would it be possible...well feasible to create an "idiot version" to create new races? It could be pre-set with parameters, a point system of some sort, where great abilities are logarithmically more expensive and need to be paid for with disabilities. Now ship designs could be part of the games2gether team... let the community kick in...given a set of descriptors by race creator. Then there could be a library of races..DLC...forever!!!!! Players could swap them in and out. There seems to be room for 2 more factions on the start of the game graphic.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 2:26:33 PM
AmpliMath wrote:

Our galaxy generator is an external library, written in C# code. You feed it with an xml definition file (the generation options parameters), the selected settings (which galaxy, how many stars etc), and it produces a big xml file describing the galaxy. This xml file is then used by the game engine to create the universe. Galaxy shapes can also be edited simply to produce new shapes. It is our intent to give you the galaxy generation code so that you can change it as you wish, simply rebuild the library and share it with others.

Hi,

thank you for these information smiley: wink.

So, if we want to create some custom galaxy maps templates, we need this template generator, will-you make an sdk with these features ? smiley: smile.

Thank you.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 2:13:18 PM
messej wrote:
I was just thinking that if everything mod-able is handled through XML, then even if the Dev team don't manage to get a Mod Tool up and running, there's nothing stopping the mod community itself from creating one... I'm just saying, XML is incredibly easy to work with and modify from a program stand-point, so...

Also, I looked through the ES folder in Steam, and though I found XML for the AI and the Galaxy creator, I couldn't find anything for the factions, or the tech tree, or the upgrades/buildings/ship components/etc. Is there another folder for these somewhere else, or some compressed/bundled flie that needs to be uncompressed to get these?

Perhaps I just haven't found the right thread yet, if so, please show me a link to where I want to go Mr Wizard!

Sorry for the slight necro, but this is relevant to my interests. The modding community will definitely come up with mod managers to resolve conflicts and dependencies.

In the meantime anyone know how to mod the tech tree or ship sizes? I want a Death Star. smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 25, 2012, 9:59:25 PM
Very well. Time to release the beta. My hollidays started and modding could be my new hobby.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 2:45:14 PM
mJrA wrote:
Yes i can do that but in case of the Sol System we would need a Terran, a Baren, 2 Gas Giants one with Rings and 2 desert or arid (for mars and venus) . That makes the thing a little bit harder i guess

you forgot some planets in sol smiley: biggrin

0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 15, 2012, 2:28:04 PM
mJrA wrote:
What should i say? We are 4 Persons. I am the only one coding atm, and my brother Pleasure is the only one for creating models. Well The others 2 are more for the ideas. Still we lack heavy of manpower smiley: wink Hard to make a Huge mod without helping hands. Unfortunatly i have enought coding myself otherwise i would gladly help u smiley: wink

So we are in exactly same situation :P except that I miss someone who can draw
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 15, 2012, 2:22:03 PM
Just look at Endless Dream and say how potential for great mods goes to waste smiley: wink (well ok, problem is that I am doing coding part mostly alone and even when task is easy it requires hilarious amount of work)

What should i say? We are 4 Persons. I am the only one coding atm, and my brother Pleasure is the only one for creating models. Well The others 2 are more for the ideas. Still we lack heavy of manpower smiley: wink Hard to make a Huge mod without helping hands. Unfortunatly i have enought coding myself otherwise i would gladly help u smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 15, 2012, 12:35:52 PM
LordOfLostSocks wrote:
So, how moddable is Endless Space at the moment? What are the glaring limitations?

And how many modders does there seem to be at the moment? From what I see is fairly few, sadly. Personally I have no experience in coding or modding, but I would be sad to see a game with the potential for great mods go to waste.

Basically what I'm wondering, is whether we will be seeing any overhaul mods in the style of Total War(Pre-Empire:TW) or Crusader Kings?

I really would like to say: "only limitation is your imagination" but actually there is quite many things what you can't change.

You can make completly new races, completly new game features, completly new tech trees, completly new modules, ships, planets ...

You can't make new graphic. (and then there is some things which are sadly impossible which annoys me greatly).

We don't have that many modders but what we have are then quite dedicated (me being prime sample).

Just look at Endless Dream and say how potential for great mods goes to waste smiley: wink (well ok, problem is that I am doing coding part mostly alone and even when task is easy it requires hilarious amount of work)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 15, 2012, 5:12:31 AM
The only thing u can mod atm is XML. Well with a little knowledge u can edit the soundfiles + music too, but that isnt supported. There arent much modders true, but i think as soon as the next phase of the modding support will go on line, that will change.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 14, 2012, 5:19:50 AM
iblise wrote:
Now if there was only a way of differentiating between hero herolevling names based on hero class. I'd like to have specific ranks for military based heroes and civilian heroes.

Hmmm apparently introducing ranking the way I want isn't possible either.

I assumed that by simply altering the code in the Level=" section would be enough, unfortunately that just crashes the game.

This caused me loads of problems back when I still had wetears and I didn't know lot about how world works...

No matter what I did and what heroes I deleted (and what values I put there) it either didn't work or crashed.

Actually it caused me enough problems then that I still steer away from whole section smiley: smile

What I did find out though is that you have to give unique values for every single section.

As in Name has to be LevelX, Level has to be X and exp has to be Y.

Actually if you get this work I'm more than happy to hear how (and you can be proud that you have done something what I haven't before smiley: biggrin )
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 9:04:09 PM
Now if there was only a way of differentiating between hero herolevling names based on hero class. I'd like to have specific ranks for military based heroes and civilian heroes.

Hmmm apparently introducing ranking the way I want isn't possible either.

I assumed that by simply altering the code in the Level=" section would be enough, unfortunately that just crashes the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 6:42:18 PM
Its not so bad when you are used to reading 500 page books, times 6, each quarter for university studies. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 4:53:06 PM
Is there a level cap for heroes? If so, possible to alter? Regarding hero abilities: possible to add new „levels“ (mean for example: Diplomacy I, Diplomacy II etc)?

Nope, there isn't herocap for levels.. or actually I'm not sure. Last time I tried to edit those was 3 days after game was officially released in Steam.

[code]

[/code]

To add new skills you have to do it bit longer route:

first add new:

[code]

HeroAbilityCommon01

HeroAbilityCommon06;HeroAbilityCommon09;HeroAbilityCommon12;HeroAbilityCommon15

%HeroAbilityCommon01Title

%HeroAbilityCommon01Description

[/code]

and then new:

[code]

[/code]

and sadly there is not Spoilers... I really wish that there would be as would anyone who has had privilege to read my posts smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 4:30:37 PM
In addition to my former questions (I allready got some answers from Hupailija though):

I am wondering about what parameters will be allowed to adjustation in this game. I have heard it is supposed to be the most open 4X regarding the modding. If I understood first post properly all values liste in following bullet points can be changed using basic notepad to edit gama files?

1) hero abilities (adding new, changing order, changing what hero has which abilities, number tweaking etc.)?

2) starting systems (names, numbers of planets, characteristics etc.)?

3) starting Techs for standard/custom race?

4) start bonuses for races, including amount of spendable points etc?

5) tech-tree (prerequisities, development times etc)?

6) system building (benefits, prices, building times etc)?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Is there a level cap for heroes? If so, possible to alter? Regarding hero abilities: possible to add new „levels“ (mean for example: Diplomacy I, Diplomacy II etc)?

Regards.

Btw:is there a way how to hide text from appearing right after opening page? like [SPOILER][/SPOILER]?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 3:59:47 PM
Pleasure wrote:
you forgot some planets in sol smiley: biggrin

First little brother pluto is no planet :P

2nd: We can only create 6 Planets at a max so i decided which are the most important ones :P

and as neptun and uranus are Gas giants (Jupiter and Saturn too but they look great smiley: wink and we need some good colonizeable planets in the SOL system i decided for them smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 23, 2012, 5:48:59 PM
I´m realy happy for are posible make mods, it could be used for funtraslate, will be exist some way of share easily this things?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 2:32:11 PM
Unfortunatly i dont know c#. I am skilled in Visual basic programming but that doesnt help smiley: frown I tried to open the GalaxyGeneratorPlugin.dll with Microsoft visual studio 2010 express but i dont understand a word in there. I guess it is only a list of Objects. Maybe someone who knows c# can help me out there

Calavoow wrote:
galaxy generator and see if it is possible to 'override' the standard procedure by changing some stuff inside the galaxyconfiguration.xml (or somewhere else).

for that i am 100% sure it is possible. But how is the question smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 12:53:10 PM
The sound of generating the Terran starsystem exactly according to our own sounds pretty cool. And I know it should be possible when hardcoding it inside the galaxy generator source, but maybe this isn't the best solution.

I don't know if you know how C# code works, because then you could analyse how home systems are generated inside the galaxy generator and see if it is possible to 'override' the standard procedure by changing some stuff inside the galaxyconfiguration.xml (or somewhere else).
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment