Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Space and Modding

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Mar 29, 2012, 5:00:11 PM
AmpliMath wrote:
The code itself is simple C#, which uses only basic functions and containers. But the architecture can become hairy if you add many constraints of course.

So it's just plain simple procedural programmation ? I can handle that, it's when events are to be taken into account that I start getting in trouble (I can use the automatic ones created with the buttons, etc. in Visual c#, but creating some is still out of my reach).

Anyway thanks for the news. If cravers can get some tech through destroying enemies, I think I will be able to get some dust from it instead of tech. Then I just have to restrict access to buldings and create some modules for ships that gives Dust (maybe it's not possible ?)
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 29, 2012, 10:39:52 AM
VieuxChat wrote:
I'm a c# noob, I can create some rather simple programs (like simple boardgames without AI). Will it be sufficient for changing the galaxy generation code ?

The code itself is simple C#, which uses only basic functions and containers. But the architecture can become hairy if you add many constraints of course.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 29, 2012, 8:31:31 AM
VieuxChat wrote:

Will it be possible to change some gameplay rules ? Like a faction that don't get Dust from planets but from their ships and combat ? (Think of it like nomadic tribes) And techs would unlock new economic abilities for the ships (or economic modules).

Definitely, it will be xml based. for your specific example, I am not sure it will possible, but definitely worth a try. For example the cravers gather science from destroying their enemies..a behavior that I guess you could alter to make it do something else.

Will it be xml-driven ? Will it be possible to create "mind" for AI, like an AI that value attack, another one that is more sneaky, another one that is peacefull and never ever forget what you've done to them (holy paladins way !), etc.

It is already the case. you can affect their war strategies, their way to handle the economy, how they interact with the others...
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 29, 2012, 6:17:37 AM
This is truly fantastic indeed, this is a major bonus for the game. I'm certain that a really nice community will grow around Endless Space thanks to these modding possibilities.

Keep up the good work guys, we so eager to give you some money in exchange for the beta, so please hurry up smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 28, 2012, 10:17:42 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to you guys for being upfront and honest from the get go on the capabilities for the game to be modded, plus it's limitations; I wished this was more common really. I have some experience with Unity(indy version only) and know that the Asset Bundles can be a pain, dynamic assets are not easily managed by Unity; but having direct support from the the team behind the engine, should solve that problem soon enough. Back to topic I kind of hate that some games need to be modded from the start to be fun(Armada 2526 comes to mind) and although in ES case I don't really see the need to have such a robust system, it's more than nice to know that is there. On a side note, I have a feeling the pre-orders are coming soon enough since the page already has the "button" to preorder(directs to Steam), it can be viewed using Google translate or simply from the page's code. I know it's wishful thinking, but it would be awesome to have it by next week; I have the whole week off at work and I could devote a lot of time to invest in the game smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 28, 2012, 5:39:56 PM
AmpliMath wrote:

• Our galaxy generator is an external library, written in C# code. You feed it with an xml definition file (the generation options parameters), the selected settings (which galaxy, how many stars etc), and it produces a big xml file describing the galaxy. This xml file is then used by the game engine to create the universe. Galaxy shapes can also be edited simply to produce new shapes. It is our intent to give you the galaxy generation code so that you can change it as you wish, simply rebuild the library and share it with others.

I'm a c# noob, I can create some rather simple programs (like simple boardgames without AI). Will it be sufficient for changing the galaxy generation code ?

The game simulation, which runs many variables to describe a galactic empire in all its aspects, it defined and computed by xml files containing our "Descriptor" system. A descriptor system is a data and computation declaration, which can be used for a vast number of purposes : define data (how much food my building produces), filtering (to build this, I need that), and of course operations (additive, multiplicative, etc). Some games allow you to edit content in the form of data parameters, others allow you to rewrite the code entirely. Both approaches have advantages and drawbacks (such as performance and stability), but we think we have met both ends with our descriptor system, which a way to create computational data. Most of the rules for computing the economic simulation is therefors defined in a data file, not hard coded. Of course, we can open more API into the code to expand the possibilities of what descriptors can do (although it is already going to be huge with our initial quantity of faction traits), and we can even consider opening the code in the future.

Will it be possible to change some gameplay rules ? Like a faction that don't get Dust from planets but from their ships and combat ? (Think of it like nomadic tribes) And techs would unlock new economic abilities for the ships (or economic modules).

AI can also be a huge aspect of modding. Right now, we are finishing implementing the last high level code for the AI. The architecture seems to be satisfying, but we have exposed tons of parameters to finely tune the AI during the upcoming months (and we will need your help). I believe these parameters could also be exposed to mod the AI behavior.

Will it be xml-driven ? Will it be possible to create "mind" for AI, like an AI that value attack, another one that is more sneaky, another one that is peacefull and never ever forget what you've done to them (holy paladins way !), etc.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 28, 2012, 5:29:25 PM
Sounds great !

AmpliMath wrote:

Adding new graphical / sound assets is more complex (although not impossible). We are discussing with Unity people (the technology we are using) what is the best way to incorporate new content that is not in the original project. Right now, Unity builds everything in a large asset bundle, so we must find the best way to add/take into account new files or bundles. More info on that soon.

I was actually wondering today how you would overcome the difficulty to add these type of assets with the Engine. Good to know you are speaking directly with Unity guys for that!
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 28, 2012, 4:04:21 PM
I'm not a modder myself but it's great that you're adding the possibility to mod the game.

AmpliMath wrote:

The architecture seems to be satisfying, but we have exposed tons of parameters to finely tune the AI during the upcoming months (and we will need your help).

Is this a hint to a beta coming soon smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 10:02:12 PM
The first glimpse of the game and the alpha trailer had me filling with hope that it would be mod friendly, this is truly great thinking. Any game that has scripts, xml and rules that can be played with brings me a game within the game and truly has to be loved (a friend for life even?)
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 16, 2012, 1:24:08 AM
I have never modded a game engine like this before mostly just SAGE and MOHO. Looking forward to the release of mod and game, so maybe there will be a tutorial on the MOD SDK when its is released.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 15, 2012, 9:29:54 PM
*crosses fingers* "im just hoping I can play in the Beta, the games looks great and i cant wait what people say about it!"
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 11:38:16 PM
hmmm, i in fact believe that mods like New Factions,ships,modes,etc will make this game 100x better but this game is already good lookin even though i have not played itsmiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 12, 2012, 1:56:17 AM
messej wrote:
I was just thinking that if everything mod-able is handled through XML, then even if the Dev team don't manage to get a Mod Tool up and running, there's nothing stopping the mod community itself from creating one... I'm just saying, XML is incredibly easy to work with and modify from a program stand-point, so...

Also, I looked through the ES folder in Steam, and though I found XML for the AI and the Galaxy creator, I couldn't find anything for the factions, or the tech tree, or the upgrades/buildings/ship components/etc. Is there another folder for these somewhere else, or some compressed/bundled flie that needs to be uncompressed to get these?

Perhaps I just haven't found the right thread yet, if so, please show me a link to where I want to go Mr Wizard!

yea and also would it be possible to add new factions
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 11, 2012, 11:44:12 PM
messej wrote:
I was just thinking that if everything mod-able is handled through XML, then even if the Dev team don't manage to get a Mod Tool up and running, there's nothing stopping the mod community itself from creating one... I'm just saying, XML is incredibly easy to work with and modify from a program stand-point, so...

Also, I looked through the ES folder in Steam, and though I found XML for the AI and the Galaxy creator, I couldn't find anything for the factions, or the tech tree, or the upgrades/buildings/ship components/etc. Is there another folder for these somewhere else, or some compressed/bundled flie that needs to be uncompressed to get these?

Perhaps I just haven't found the right thread yet, if so, please show me a link to where I want to go Mr Wizard!

Yeah man. That is also why I asked if we can get external XML entities, so that mods would be compatible with each other (currently, there is that GalaxySettings.xml - and I have a moon mod that uses this. But the same file also can be used for other stuff like temple rarities, anomaly occurrences, and such. But since both requires the use of the same file, you cannot use both mods unless you "fix" them yourself)
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment