Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Released] Larger Galaxies

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 4:18:12 AM
Thank you, davea. I was able to get the mod working with that information, though the correct directory in steam is (steam dir)\Endless Space\Public\plugins\galaxygenerator. Which was a little confusing at first, since there is no Public folder in your mod, yet the file path you described is correct if you want to place those files in the community mod folders. I must say, I am not a fan of the one mod at a time approach. There are lots of good mods that I would really want and never use because of this. I'll just have to learn how to merge them myself I suppose.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2012, 5:57:15 PM
orcus2190 wrote:
This is the actual GalaxySettings.xml file. I have it installed to Documents\Endless Space\Modding\community-mod\Plugins\GalaxyGenerator

http://www.filedropper.com/galaxysettings

I don't think this is a very good way to distribute the mod. If players follow this instruction, the game will crash during galaxy creation. The proper instruction is more complicated. You should really make a zip file which contains a full mod, instead of requesting players to piece together an installation like this. The missing step is: before copying galaxysettings.xml into community-mod\plugins\galaxygenerator, players must first copy the entire contents of (steam dir)\Endless Space\public\plugins\galaxygenerator (EDIT: corrected path) into community-mod\plugins\galaxygenerator. After that, copy in the OP modified galaxysettings.xml, which should overwrite the one just copied. I agree this is confusing, and for players who can't get it to work, please encourage the OP to distribute a complete mod.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2012, 5:29:03 PM
I actually can't seem to get this mod to work. I keep getting something about a NullReferenceException and the game freezes. I have to alt tab out and close the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 21, 2012, 3:38:44 PM
Hmm, I'm trying a 8 empire, high resources, many large planets, young, sparse massive(3000something planets by 8000something parsec i believe) few constellations, remote, few wormholes(might be some more options im not telling here, since i can't see em atm as its still loading) it's been loading for I think about 1.5-2 hours now(have watched 2 house episodes)...According to task manager it's still running, 16% cpu(quad core I7) 4,2GB memory used(8 total)

after 3 hours, I'm giving up on loading the map... Was a nice try tho, sadly didn't load within an...barely, acceptable timeframe ;/ Gonna try somewhat lesser amounts of planets now(1 step down)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 5:45:41 PM
Random idea, if you're already making giant/endless galaxies, try to see if you can make multi-galaxy worlds. It shouldn't be too hard to make worlds that having multiple galaxies by adding new star density/player spawning maps that have large, empty gaps, but the problem is that if you do that then each set of galaxies will be preset. I can't think of any way to make each individual galaxy random without some really complicated coding that I couldn't pull of at this time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 3:01:11 PM
my generator will come to as soon as custom build galaxygenerator will work.

For you i hope that it works with 5k but would recommend to slowly increase the ammount as the time needed is not linear.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 2:42:17 PM
Thank you for that info Dagobert.

I have another forum post asking about assistance with something and mentioned in response to someone that I was going to test star system generation.

With this little bit of knowledge I think I will try generating a significantly larger galaxy tonight then I had planned (Will test 5k instead of 2k) with that change.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 12:27:53 PM
15000 stars sounds like fun.

Just so you know what the main bottleneck of the Generator is (in the old Source)

The warp generation.

For every starSystem there will be double of StarConnectivity warps. Default 6.

It then will remove 1 warp connection and check if each starSystem is connected.

This is done till StarConnectivity is reached. Default 3.

Meaning you can decrase generation time if you change StarConnectivity to StarConnectivityLow (2).
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment