Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Released] Larger Galaxies

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 7:11:35 PM
so you are saying that the game makers screwed up instead of the mod maker? ;o oh well, I guess i'll just wait till i can play on a huge huge map again smiley: smile I like being far away from enemies and turtling smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 30, 2012, 5:50:09 AM
well that's depressing. There is another mod out there to speed up galaxy generation, maybe you two could team up?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 28, 2012, 7:44:23 PM
Tiggy wrote:
they really thought we didnt want more than 100 stars? surely they would have expected someone (like me ) to make a full size map of the New Eden galaxy from eve right?

yes i am actually going to be making a full size EVE map, hopefully compleate with races and of course veldspar and technetium moons :-P

♥♥♥♥ yeah! I will be flying amarr than! smiley: biggrin Don't forget to bring the beams instead of those stupid lazer weapons that look like blasters ;p
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 3:42:15 PM
davea wrote:
It is not a question of screwing up. The dev team "assumed" nobody would ever want more than 100 stars, so they did not worry about making the runtime efficient for larger than 100 stars.

they really thought we didnt want more than 100 stars? surely they would have expected someone (like me ) to make a full size map of the New Eden galaxy from eve right?

yes i am actually going to be making a full size EVE map, hopefully compleate with races and of course veldspar and technetium moons :-P
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 24, 2012, 10:12:10 AM
but in the 1.0.09 version of this game this same mod pretty much existed, with way over 300 systems without a problem, so what changed?

and i really love great number of stars, makes me able to turtle which i really love doing ;p
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 7:26:20 PM
Well I mean we cant do it using the default generator. AFAIK, generator cant manage a WH-connection check, it tries to check that every system is linked with the rest. It can work for a smaller numbers of systems, but in large-scale generation it will be better to use block-by-block check instead of full galaxy check, so we definely can make some sort of large-scale generator, but it will take too much time to understand how source works.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 5:03:59 PM
Xenobyte wrote:
And about larger galaxies... seems we wont be able to make this mod work, I've modded some generator settings and made it to create 128 star system in a 140 parsecs, like some1 offered in this thread. I've set the denisty to HIGH, so actually it was a 170 stars galaxy, low connectivity/low wormholes, many constel./remote. It took quite some time, around 5 minutes, but the generator managed to create such a map, but it freezes forever if you try to make even 300 star galaxy, so its somewhere around 200 stars where the generator becomes screwed by the amount of calculation.

The complete source code of the galaxy generator is available in the modding forum. So we "could" make this mod work, but it involves learning and then changing the very internals of the generator. This sounds like an interesting challenge.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 4:58:57 PM
Well, I've made some work myself. I have successfully managed to merge 'community' mod and 'more anomalies', community mod does not add any custom files, it just replaces original files, also it have no shared files with 'more anomalies', so you can just cope all the files into 'more anomalies' and it will be fine. And about larger galaxies... seems we wont be able to make this mod work, I've modded some generator settings and made it to create 128 star system in a 140 parsecs, like some1 offered in this thread. I've set the denisty to HIGH, so actually it was a 170 stars galaxy, low connectivity/low wormholes, many constel./remote. It took quite some time, around 5 minutes, but the generator managed to create such a map, but it freezes forever if you try to make even 300 star galaxy, so its somewhere around 200 stars where the generator becomes screwed by the amount of calculation.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 1:26:23 PM
Xenobyte wrote:
Hello, can you make it clear for me, please? You say this mod requires 'More Anomalies', but you put files into another mod's folder. So how can I run a game with multiple mods? Or do I need to make some work merging some XMLs?

You can't run more than one mod at the same time. (which I hate) After learning a little bit about this mod, and modding for ES in general, I realize now that what the author means is that he used the xml from "More Anomalies" when creating his mod and then he placed them into the community mod. (which essentially merges all of them) So all of the xml info from that mod is in this one. I can't say for sure whether the stuff from more anomalies will work, but his portion of the mod does work. I still haven't learned enough yet to say for sure whether the mod is properly merged with more anomalies or not, but like I said, the larger galaxy portion will work fine.

Also, just to let other users know because it surprised me when I found it, the author changed up the luxury and strategic distributions on the maps. Expect to find far fewer types (half as many) luxury resources on the large map and a slightly smaller number of strategic resources. With a map that is about double what the original huge map was, resources will be a lot more sparse.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 23, 2012, 9:08:22 AM
Well I've never modded anything real, but don't the files need to remain the same size? Which will be very hard to do for me since i have no clue what I'm doing...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 9:54:34 PM
I am sure Hupa can point out the right places to mod expansion disapproval, and probably throw in an insult about how you should have been able to figure it out on your own. If you are interested in finding it, I would probably start by finding the four techs in the south tree that affect disapproval, finding what variable they set, and then finding all the places that variable is used. It would be easy to move the related empire effects to other techs, even tier 1 techs if you want.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 9:08:29 PM
davea wrote:
It is not a question of screwing up. The dev team "assumed" nobody would ever want more than 100 stars, so they did not worry about making the runtime efficient for larger than 100 stars.

hmm, alright i guess, I just hope they fix that ;3 I like it alot...

I wonder if there is a way to get rid of the colonisation dissaproval or atleast increase the number of systems you can own at once without it showing up, and i remember that in the 1.0.09 version this same mod was existing, but with more types of galaxy shapes, and way more planets, but worked just fine, and now it stopped working with 1.0.14...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 7:50:24 PM
Hello, can you make it clear for me, please? You say this mod requires 'More Anomalies', but you put files into another mod's folder. So how can I run a game with multiple mods? Or do I need to make some work merging some XMLs?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 7:30:45 PM
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 3:28:57 AM
I have finished the xml files for my larger galaxies modification I am using.

These xml files are designed with grand scale in mind, but I will not be able to test all different features in a reasonable time frame.

These xml files are compatible with the More Anomalies mod (in fact, they probably require it, as I used the GalaxySettings file that came with it as my base)

This is the english localization file, which I have installed to Documents/Endless Space/Modding/community-mod/Localization/english

http://www.filedropper.com/larger-galaxies

This is the actual GalaxySettings.xml file. I have it installed to Documents\Endless Space\Modding\community-mod\Plugins\GalaxyGenerator

http://www.filedropper.com/galaxysettings

Technical Notes: I am in the process of generating an Eternal map (And I noticed that there are some details missing from the more-annomalies localisation. I will endeavor to correct that asap!). It has been almost 10 minutes so far in map creation, game has not crashed yet. Task Manager states it using 797,824 K of ram, and CPU usage has not exceeded 19%. I am very impressed with it so far. I will update again with details on how the game handles such a large map!

Edit: The display names for sparse and dense have now been fixed. It also appears I uploaded the wrong file. I gave up on generating an eternal map. For those curious the eternal map as it currently is stands at over 15,000 star systems. I am in the process of generating an enormous map. It is a bit over 1500 star systems. I could generate a 500 system galaxy in about 5 minutes. I will update this thread again once I determine how long it takes for this map.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 2:20:20 PM
The runtime of the map generator is *exponential* in number of systems, not linear. Generating a map with 2x the number of stars will take way longer than 2x the runtime. The map generator source code provided by the dev team completely doesn't work anymore, so there isn't anything modders can do about this.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 11:32:49 AM
waiting isn't the problem, i've waited 3+ hours for a gigantic map, and been waiting for an hour now for a huge map... large loads within 10 mins, so huge, which is double the size, shouldn't take much more than half an hour at most...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 11:08:51 AM
I noticed that as well, though it could be I didn't wait long enough. I don't feel like waiting much longer than 5 minutes to load a map. Luckily the large maps are still bigger than the original huge maps.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 22, 2012, 10:42:11 AM
it seems maps won't load with the mod, it will load fine up to large map, but anything above that just won't load smiley: frown
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment