Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

modding tutorial: discussion

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 1:27:43 PM
Irishkiller123 wrote:
Ty thashepard and Hupailija i think i founf what i need smiley: biggrin , am about to test it, also by any chance is it possible to increase the length of space battles, since more ships will be ramming at one another i dont think that the minutes in a halfish battles right now will do

battledescriptor.xml and battlesequence.xml takes care of these.

as usually descriptor tells what bonuses anyone gets during phase (if you don't want to give anything just keep it empty)

while sequence tells duration.

Is it possible (and in what file) create that each fraction (race) can recruit only their heroes, for example UE only human.

quite many modders are right now trying to implement such a system. This is one of those questions which interests everybody.

I haven't myself ever tried this but I don't see why it wouldn't work... basically you would have to add dependencies or path requisity for hero to make it work.

Question is just whether it's so simple or whether adding stuff is hardcoded.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 2:37:05 PM
Hupailija wrote:
I haven't myself ever tried this but I don't see why it wouldn't work... basically you would have to add dependencies or path requisity for hero to make it work. Question is just whether it's so simple or whether adding stuff is hardcoded.

Well, the file Simulation/Hero.xml which defines the heroes, doesn't have any prerequisite or dependency fields. So probably it is not allowed in the xml. So probably it cannot be modded today. I agree this is a popular request and it would make a good enhancement for the dev team to add this modding capability.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 2:59:23 PM
Hmm i have been tinkering with it all night, at first it seemed to work, when i moused over all the upgrades they gave up the doubled values, and for the first upgrade it worked like a charm, making my fleet cap up from 7 to 11, but when i got the upgrade that adds +2 for each ship upgrade (+4 for me smiley: biggrin) but instead of getting a wonderful fleet cap of 27, i ended up at a max of 15? i keep trying to edit the numbers and i have had to reload my back up dozens of times now (annoying how game crashes if you add double digits where only one was before) anywho, i can't seem to find anything in the small list of fleet size unlocks that will stop the cap from being reached at 15 smiley: mad kind of put me in a bum mood after i went into uber military mood and made 40+ battleships. Again any help would be appreciated, and also thanks hapailijia for the advice on making the battle time longer, if the random 15 max fleet size problem is fixed i will look into it.

Just some information on what i was using at the time, don't know if it will help or not

Race- custom made race derived from the united empire, also i modded the amount of points for the race from 65 to 70, frustrated that the race had 70 on the get go, but when i made it custom it had to be 65.

if you read the whole thing thanks!

edit: also on a side not i didn't find the \Documents\Endless Space\Modding\Dream folder, i used sharedassets17.assets (an assets file apparently, idk)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 3:04:41 PM
davea wrote:
Well, the file Simulation/Hero.xml which defines the heroes, doesn't have any prerequisite or dependency fields. So probably it is not allowed in the xml. So probably it cannot be modded today. I agree this is a popular request and it would make a good enhancement for the dev team to add this modding capability.

If something doesn't exist it doesn't necessarily mean that it can't be createn smiley: smile ... thats why I wonder whether it's hardcoded or not.

There are things which are impossible, things which aren't and things which are in grey area.

Making starbases is actually fairly easy.

Accessing to enemy empire is impossible.

This is something what no one has tried.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 3:17:41 PM
i keep trying to edit the numbers and i have had to reload my back up dozens of times now (annoying how game crashes if you add double digits where only one was before) ... i didn't find the \Documents\Endless Space\Modding\Dream folder, i used sharedassets17.assets (an assets file apparently, idk)

Please don't edit sharedassets17 anymore. Read the sticky modding tutorial.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 3:22:04 PM
Maybe in game folder is some list of "you faction heroes" which will always in you academy list for hire and small chance of other races hero for hire?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 3:34:15 PM
i wouldn't use sharedassets if i knew where the simulation folder was found, assuming mymod is just a name for the modding folder you make in ES in documents, and already copying everything from the public except the audio, registry, and movies, i can not for the life of me find the simulation folder, so i used shared assets which got the job done for the points mod (when making a custom empire) and it affects the upgrades already, just when i go over 25 ( i am assuming) it reverts to 15 for no discernible reason. i have read the tutorial and it didn't really help me.smiley: cry
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 3:40:03 PM
Irishkiller123 wrote:
i wouldn't use sharedassets if i knew where the simulation folder was found ... i have read the tutorial and it didn't really help me.smiley: cry

If you do not have a simulation folder under public, then you do not have the current 1.0.14 version of the game, and I recommend you buy it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 3:53:30 PM
actually i have bought it, but i refuse to mess with it until i understand what am doing with the files, ruined up a game once being stupidsmiley: sad but yea i torrented it to make sure i know what i was doing first. and yea found the file XD feel kinda dumb not checking it earlier. but ty davea and hupailija, am sure i must have frustrated one of you smiley: redface
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 4:41:42 PM
U havent buyed it otherwise u would have an award here... So i wont give u any tips until u got the award smiley: wink I find it really unfair not to support the DEV Team with this wonderful game
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 6:21:12 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't even bother modding the cracked version. The whole directory structure changes in 1.0.14.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 3:41:29 AM
Is there a mod manager application that can do all those complicated-xml-and-directory-manipulation-things behind a nice interface? IMHO it's an exciting project to create one, just like FOMM of Fallout 3.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 20, 2012, 4:19:06 AM
@ budlee, that would be great. Please keep in mind that for hard merges, it is likely that only one mod developer or the other could really use the tool. So the audience is mod developers, not players. I am pretty sure FOMM doesn't attempt to handle same-file merges. If you are familiar with formal revision control, what is needed is a three-way branch merge (original game, mod A, mod B => merged mod AB).
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 10:08:09 AM
Any chance of adding the ability to do custom hero class icons any time soon?

And thank you for the ability to do what we already can.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 10:52:02 AM
It already works, I just tested by replacing all icons with the same custom icon. Size matters (16x16: small, 32x32: large). Did you reference the custom icon correctly in Hero.xml?

Also, I think 95% of people who will mod custom icons are unaware of how it works, considering the feature came out 2 days ago.

Having this explicitly explained in the tuto will prevent tons of questions on "how to do it" (kind of like yours on hero class icons, but my bad, I didn't specify the size change).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 11:22:27 AM
Likely was the size, I tried 32x32 which crashed the game, thank you for the feedback. smiley: smile

Nycidian wrote:
And thank you for the ability to do what we already can.

Just realized that did not make sense and might of sounded bad.

What I meant is, thank you for everything you have opened up to allowing us to mod.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 27, 2012, 2:17:02 PM
For tech icons, you have made the point that we must use png for transparency. Can you give us one example file, so that we can see what is supposed to be transparent and what is the exact alignment? We obviously cannot use a screenshot if transparency is important. Even better, can you make an archive of all the icons, in their proper directory structure?
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment