Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

modding tutorial: discussion

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Aug 11, 2012, 7:10:35 PM
I don't see images either save for endless space 'mod'.. But I've yet to mess around with this
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 12, 2012, 7:35:24 PM
Just to check this out: (have probably asked once and tried atleast 3 different ways)

Is there way to make techtree such that if you study technology a it blocks access to technology b?

Example:

if you study exoskeleton (military tech in evolution side (ex-research side), unlocks warrior (small 2) class ship and gives bonuses to weapons) to Swarm you can't study swarm behaviour (economic tech in evolution tree (ex-research side), unlocks nest building and gives bonuses to queen planet improvement) ?

Or to make it bit easier to read: If you study A03 you can't study A04?

If this isn't possible is it possible to go past that right now somehow or how long will it take to implement change like this? (well Endless Dream can be made by giving players full access to evolution tree, it just gives both ultimate building and capital class ships... which can ruin really late game balance nicely (having both structure which boosts all FIDS by 10 times and having ship which destroys any ship in 1vs1... who wouldn't want to play that))
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 12, 2012, 8:29:16 PM
Lots of things have prerequisites, including techs. What happens if you just put "!(TechT03)" into either Paths or Technologies Prerequisites? Is this one of the things you already tried?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 3:39:11 AM
davea wrote:
Lots of things have prerequisites, including techs. What happens if you just put "!(TechT03)" into either Paths or Technologies Prerequisites? Is this one of the things you already tried?

Path needs to be trait (tried empire building, technology and even normal building), Technology Prerequisite doesn't seem to work at all :/
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 4:06:33 AM
iblise wrote:
I'll back Hupa back on this 100%, Technology Prerequisite can bite my ass. ><

Then again we have to remember what LoiCus did say:

PathsPrerequisites represent faction affinities or traits required to access the tech. The syntax uses classic logic (or,and,!). Ex: $(TraitX) and !$(TraitY)

and

TechnologiesPrerequisites is unused (at present).

Oh well, have to hope that if it's not possible in anyway Developers releases support for this eventually... until then one just have to build huuuuge techtrees smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 3:08:51 PM
Hupailija wrote:
Then again we have to remember what LoiCus did say:

and

Oh well, have to hope that if it's not possible in anyway Developers releases support for this eventually... until then one just have to build huuuuge techtrees smiley: wink

Even if you cant use the Prerequisite you can still just delete unused techs.

I did that with the Diplomacy Mod and it works quite well smiley: biggrin only the lines are a bit odd then smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 3:47:43 PM
Pleasure wrote:
Even if you cant use the Prerequisite you can still just delete unused techs.

I did that with the Diplomacy Mod and it works quite well smiley: biggrin only the lines are a bit odd then smiley: biggrin

Thats not really the thing what I want to do, if you look at how Endless Dreams traits works I have used exactly that method. (boy creating planets is fun btw)

Problem is that I want to say to player:

You get either that pretty nice plasma rifle or you get that nice powerarmor ... but you won't get both so choose well.

edit 1: I realized once again how wonderful my examples are... really stunner once again smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 4:34:18 PM
Hupailija wrote:
Thats not really the thing what I want to do, if you look at how Endless Dreams traits works I have used exactly that method. (boy creating planets is fun btw)

Problem is that I want to say to player:

You get either that pretty nice plasma rifle or you get that nice powerarmor ... but you won't get both so choose well.

ahh ok smiley: biggrin that would be nice to have indeed.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 6:33:01 PM
ya if u manage to do so i would be glad if u could share ur wisdom with me smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 7:37:09 PM
mJrA wrote:
ya if u manage to do so i would be glad if u could share ur wisdom with me smiley: wink

I have tried everything ... and in this case it means everything what I just can imagine.

So far as I have seen TechPrequisite doesn't do anything.

Pathprequisite doesn't allow anything but traits and affinities.

Traits and Affinities can't be changed during game (this was funny to test).

Well ok, I lied.

I haven't tried anything, I haven't tried what happens if you add completly new tag to technologies which checks whether some building / empire improvement exists... but honestly, I got no ideas how to do this.

Appearntly it should be possible and quite easily, one just would have to figure correct tag. (and no, unlock doesn't go more than one way).

Think that problem is like Davea said couple days ago: "For technologies, whether you have researched it appears to be stored as a boolean" this is closest to what I have find except that it goes further...

When you start game your technology tree is saved as a boolean (wacky idea but hopefully you understand what I mean) and thus changes during game are impossible.

What I/We really need is answer from Developers... this is something what is required in 3-4 mods right now (Endless Dream, Babylon 5, Mass Effect and I quess that in Diplomacy and AI mods too).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 13, 2012, 8:36:05 PM
Well i got another little Mod going on. Well at least it is an idea smiley: wink and for that i would like that funktion. But for now i got lots to do with the B5 project. If i find some time i will start my small mod smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 16, 2012, 4:24:55 AM
Thanks a bundle for this, now I can actually be competant when doing things instead of guessing in the dark.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 17, 2012, 8:59:42 PM
Excellent tutorial, and also very nice comments in this thread for making stuff work smoother and with much less trouble.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 18, 2012, 9:25:44 PM
Several Vanilla technologies have 'OR' dependencies - that is, you can research tech03 if either tech01 OR tech02 is unlocked.

Can anyone confirm implementation of 'AND' dependencies - have tech03 require tech01 AND tech02?

Secondary question: Does anyone have a favorite source control mechanism for XML files? I plan on using Trello for management, but I don't think GitHub/Google Code are necessarily the best repos for pure XML.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 1:26:14 AM
could someone explain where i can find the mymod folder i cant seem to find it in the game directory do i have to go to the hidden appdata folder or something? i already created a modding folder but i cant seem to find the mymod folder to go to the place to edit the fleet cap the way i want, i am planning on editing the technology of fleet cap so that it is + 4 or 5 per ship found also i was planning on editing the cravers so their ship cap advantage does not go away
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 2:51:55 AM
I think the 'mymod' folder you're talking about is the one you have to create. Copy the 'Public' folder from your game directory to Endless Space's mod folder (found in My Documents/Endless Space/Modding). Rename it whatever you want to call your mod (although you'll have to edit index.xml to change its name in game).

The file you want to edit is in your_mod/Simulation/TechnologyDiplomacy.xml
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 6:25:30 AM
I think the 'mymod' folder you're talking about is the one you have to create. Copy the 'Public' folder from your game directory to Endless Space's mod folder (found in My Documents/Endless Space/Modding). Rename it whatever you want to call your mod (although you'll have to edit index.xml to change its name in game).

I do suggest not using more than 1 word in folder name smiley: smile

But example for what thasheperd said: \Documents\Endless Space\Modding\Dream

to make changes you want:

Edit Empiredescriptors.xml and go to under that you can find how each technology affects.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 9:20:58 AM
Ty thashepard and Hupailija i think i founf what i need smiley: biggrin , am about to test it, also by any chance is it possible to increase the length of space battles, since more ships will be ramming at one another i dont think that the minutes in a halfish battles right now will do
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 19, 2012, 10:31:40 AM
Is it possible (and in what file) create that each fraction (race) can recruit only their heroes, for example UE only human.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment