Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

MOD Anthony's Mod

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Sep 14, 2012, 4:38:30 AM
a4rino wrote:
That said, I will try to take a look at some of the changes davea and company are making in the community balance mod and perhaps I will incorporate some of those changes if I feel that they will add value to my mod (giving credit where it is due, of course!).

That sounds like a good plan. Of course with all the AI economy changes in the community mod (the way it values upgrades, etc...) the battles tend to be pretty dern good. So perhaps just a weapons tweak or two that Anthony's Mod focuses on, would work really well for the community mod.

Thanks goes to both mods as they have introduced a new element of fun for me.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 16, 2012, 12:30:50 AM
NovaBlazer wrote:
That sounds like a good plan. Of course with all the AI economy changes in the community mod (the way it values upgrades, etc...) the battles tend to be pretty dern good. So perhaps just a weapons tweak or two that Anthony's Mod focuses on, would work really well for the community mod.

Thanks goes to both mods as they have introduced a new element of fun for me.

It looks like there are some significant AI changes coming in the 1.0.20 update from Amplitude (see this thread, so I've decided not to implement any of the community mod's AI stuff until we see how the game plays once that comes out. Until then, I may only implement one or two ideas from that mod (I like the Decrease research income earned as part of trade; was 2x dust, now 0.5x dust idea, as well as the color changes).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 17, 2012, 12:12:05 AM
NovaBlazer wrote:

I took a look at the community / bugfix mod files and it turns out that they do not modify the files that are most central to my combat modifications.

It should work if you simply copy and paste the following files from AnthonysMod/Simulation to community-mod/Simulation:

• BattleCard.xml
  • BattleDescriptor.xml
  • DefenseModule.xml
  • Hull.xml
  • SupportModuleDescriptor.xml
  • WeaponModuleDescriptor.xml

Now launch community mod (not Anthony's Mod) and you should get the best of both worlds! I haven't actually tried this myself, so I can't guarantee that it works. Not all of my changes will be there, of course, but these files are the ones most central to the combat and davea and company have not changed these files at all in their mod.

If you decide to give this a shot let me know how it goes. I will probably try it myself if I find the time, although I will most likely be pretty busy this week.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 30, 2012, 3:00:46 AM
What's new in 1.1.0?

I decreased nano repair battle action rate by half to compensate for the fact that weapons do less damage. This should make nano repair a less obvious choice and bring it more in line with the other cards.

Corvette-class ships were given a whopping 75% defense module weight malus to hopefully help prevent early game battles from becoming a chore. This change should be in line with the role of corvette-class ships to be fast and light and not particularly combat-oriented.

Finally, I played with the industry improvements a bit to make them less powerful. As they are in vanilla, they tend to pay for themselves in only a few turns regardless of the system they're built in and so they are supremely obvious to build ASAP. Hopefully the changes here will make them more of an investment and decrease system productivity in general.

The other changes are fairly straightforward. See the changelogs below for details.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 30, 2012, 3:03:07 AM
changelogs

1.1.0 wrote:
  • decreased nano repair base repair rate from 0.2 to 0.1
  • increased ship upkeep factor from 0.5 to 1.5
  • applied 75% defense module weight malus on corvette class
  • reduced base effect of all industry star system improvements
  • increased upkeep/decreased effect of 2nd science improvement

1.0.0 wrote:
  • decreased long range beam weapon accuracy from 0.5 to 0.4
  • decreased short range missile accuracy from 0.4 to 0.3
  • decreased nopersalve of all kinetic weapons by half
  • decreased missile damage by half
  • decreased beam damage by slightly less than half
  • halved deflectionperturn for all deflector modules
  • increased ship hulls by 30% for all ships
  • increased base maxcommandpoint from 5 to 7
  • increased cost of all ships and modules by 30%
  • increased cost of all system improvements by 20%
  • increased ship upkeep by 50% from 0 to 0.5

0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 30, 2012, 2:38:21 PM
JamieSI wrote:
Could you upload this to Strategy Informer as a mirror? http://www.strategyinformer.com/mods/

If the mod becomes popular within the community here I may mirror it over to the SI page. At present I'm more interested in keeping all the information together in one place (here). This will make updates easier.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 30, 2012, 5:37:31 PM
Are you planning on any changes to the HP/Defenses system? I feel like it is far to easy to completely block out all damage of a particular weapon and can easy lead to wars where a players weapons are doing 0 damage.

Would it be possible for you de-emphisise the the defensive nature of blocking an opponents attract to the omni-defensive nature of HP modules while retaining the normal specialized defenses worth?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 30, 2012, 6:21:04 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Are you planning on any changes to the HP/Defenses system? I feel like it is far to easy to completely block out all damage of a particular weapon and can easy lead to wars where a players weapons are doing 0 damage.

Would it be possible for you de-emphisise the the defensive nature of blocking an opponents attract to the omni-defensive nature of HP modules while retaining the normal specialized defenses worth?

If I understand your comment correctly I think you're saying that defense modules (deflector, shield, flak) are too effective in comparison to the armor support module. You would prefer that defense modules be made somehow less effective.

This could be worth looking into. Perhaps increasing the weight of defense modules would cause a player to think twice before they load their ships with these modules. It might encourage players to specialize in one type of defense, requiring that they know more about their enemy.

I'd be interested to hear what the rest of the community thinks about this.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 30, 2012, 8:06:27 PM
You understood correctly smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 30, 2012, 10:53:34 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
You understood correctly smiley: wink

Do you think module weight should be increased or defense benefits should be decreased?

My only concern about increasing weight would be that the AI may not handle the change appropriately (i.e. it may waste a lot of tonnage on defense modules and have little left over for anything else).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 30, 2012, 10:55:40 PM
Module weight would be my choice, and I do believe there reported cases of the AI not using its tonnage to the fullest extent so this might help even the scales. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 31, 2012, 12:54:43 AM
Hmm, how did you increase command points? ;o(I want to go full retard and make a 100 ship fleet to see what happens smiley: biggrin)

edit: Nvm, I should read all the files before asking this stuff...For people interested, any info on where to find stuff can be found in the Changelog.txt
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 30, 2012, 3:00:01 AM
INTRODUCTION

Amplitude Studios realized an incredible creative vision in developing Endless Space. However, not everyone shares this same vision. This mod is an attempt to realize my own vision for what Endless Space could be. This is a mod I've developed for my own amusement, but I'm posting it here because I think that the community might appreciate the changes and because all of you can help me make it better.

MOTIVATION

I decided to make this mod because I really like Endless Space, but a few things bugged me about the base game:

• Battles end too quickly, almost always before melee and often even before mid range, marginalizing kinetics
  • Ships/fleets are wiped out too easily, reducing the role of strategic reinforcement or retreat
  • Ships are too cheap and lead to spam
  • System productivity is so high that the player often runs out of system improvements to build

For full details, see the changelog in the post below.

CHANGES/FEATURES

• Decreased damage output of all weapons to allow more battles to proceed through all three phases
  • Increased ship hulls to improve ship survivability
  • Increased base command points for fleets to allow larger fleets
  • Increased ship and module costs to reduce spam and increase the importance of individual ships
  • Increased system improvement costs to force players to make intelligent choices on which improvements are most important
  • Increased ship upkeep
  • Reduced effectiveness of production-enhancing system improvements

DOWNLOAD

VERSION 1.1.0 (for ES 1.0.18): http://www.mediafire.com/?4n4v3ps9llbvou4

Date Posted: 2 Sep 2012

HOW TO INSTALL AND LAUNCH

Follow the instructions from Amplitude:

[LIST=1]
  • Download the file from the link above
  • If not already existing, create a new folder called Modding in My Documents\Endless Space
  • Unzip the file’s content to My Documents\Endless Space\Modding
  • Launch the mod from the main menu

• [/LIST]

Alternatively, you can have the mod launch automatically when you start ES by right-clicking on ES in your Steam library, clicking Properties -> Set Launch Options and then typing +mod AnthonysMod into the text field. You can confirm that the mod loaded by checking the bottom left corner of the screen on the main menu.

FEEDBACK

I don't have a ton of time to test every aspect of the mod at all difficulty levels and for all factions. Should you notice any features that aren't working or have unintended consequences, reply to this thread for a discussion.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Aug 31, 2012, 1:51:29 AM
    Hmm, how did you increase command points? ;o(I want to go full retard and make a 100 ship fleet to see what happens )

edit: Nvm, I should read all the files before asking this stuff...For people interested, any info on where to find stuff can be found in the Changelog.txt

Yes I note the xml names next to each change so that I can easily retrace my steps. I would be interested to see the battles that could take place with such a high command point limit! You should post a video!

Well this sounds nice. Good on you for making battles less monotonous.

Thanks for the kind words; I'm glad you're on board with the idea. Let me know if you have any ideas you'd like to see make it into the game and maybe we can make it happen.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Aug 31, 2012, 2:39:12 AM
    Stupid question:

So I load the mod, it says it has to restart, but the game doesn't restart automatically. Do I have to reload the game manually, and then start a new game? How do I know the mod is currently running or not?
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Aug 31, 2012, 7:41:05 AM
    a4rino wrote:
    Yes I note the xml names next to each change so that I can easily retrace my steps. I would be interested to see the battles that could take place with such a high command point limit! You should post a video!

I will definetly do that! Should definetly be intresting at the least, I was kind of planning to play it later today, but I guess I'll make a video first and play eve online later ;3

edit: Ok...For some reason the mod won't show up in the mods list...And i fixed it, lol, I got the wrong game version.(I be yer friendly neighbourhood pirate until I got money to buy endless from steam, I promise!)

Edit2:

arithon wrote:
    Stupid question: So I load the mod, it says it has to restart, but the game doesn't restart automatically. Do I have to reload the game manually, and then start a new game? How do I know the mod is currently running or not?

At the bottom on the left side, is the game version and, when using a mod, also tells you what mod and what version of that mod you are using.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Aug 31, 2012, 10:37:33 AM
    So I tried your mod in early game. All my battles ended in draw. Even when I'v had 2 times more ships than opponent. It's quite strange to have weapons, that do not deal damage at all. On the other hand AI had deflectors and flack installed, but even so. Maybe decreasing damage only by quarter not half could help.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Aug 31, 2012, 12:22:02 PM
    arithon wrote:
    Stupid question:

So I load the mod, it says it has to restart, but the game doesn't restart automatically. Do I have to reload the game manually, and then start a new game? How do I know the mod is currently running or not?

I've noticed this happening to me sometimes with mods (not just mine). I think it's a problem with ES and not the mods themselves. I've discovered two potential fixes:

1. The best way is to go to your Steam library, right click Endless Space -> Properties -> Set Launch Options and then type +mod AnthonysMod into the field. This will tell ES to automatically load up the mod when you start the game. You can confirm that it loaded by checking the lower left corner of the main menu.

2. The other fix is to simply restart your computer and try again.

See this thread < http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/showthread.php?9767-Mod-Load-Crash >.
    0Send private message
    ?

Click here to login

Comment