Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

MOD Anthony's Mod

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Sep 8, 2012, 7:11:14 PM
Annex wrote:
Even with this mod everything dies either in the first round or shortly in the second. Ive never made it to the third round smiley: frown

Unless there is a big disaparity in fleet size or tech levels, your battles should often reach all three rounds. Are you sure you have the mod loaded?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 1, 2012, 5:10:34 AM
Played with the mod for far more hours than I intended to. It definitely seems to improve things for the better, the fleets I'm seeing are large but theres not endless waves of ships to deal with. The battles definitely are more interesting and lasting longer, though anyone with a clear cut edge will still win quickly (as it should be). The game devs should think about patching in these changes themselves.

Thanks for the mod!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 1, 2012, 4:23:52 PM
JustSpectre wrote:
So I tried your mod in early game. All my battles ended in draw. Even when I'v had 2 times more ships than opponent. It's quite strange to have weapons, that do not deal damage at all. On the other hand AI had deflectors and flack installed, but even so. Maybe decreasing damage only by quarter not half could help.

I might have a solution to this. I think the reason this happens is because the AI sometimes loads up on defense modules in ways that human players generally wouldn't do. This isn't a huge problem later in the game when multiple weapon types can do damage to whatever weak spots the AI has, but early game it can be a bit obnoxious.

I might give a tonnage malus for defense modules to Corvette class ships to prevent AI/humans from loading up so high on defense modules before the other weapon types come out. This would cut down on the number of defense modules installed on ships early game and would be consistent with the Corvette's role as a light/scout/repair ship.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 1, 2012, 4:25:01 PM
arithon wrote:
Played with the mod for far more hours than I intended to. It definitely seems to improve things for the better, the fleets I'm seeing are large but theres not endless waves of ships to deal with. The battles definitely are more interesting and lasting longer, though anyone with a clear cut edge will still win quickly (as it should be). The game devs should think about patching in these changes themselves.

Thanks for the mod!

Thanks for the kind words; I'm glad you're enjoying the mod. Stay tuned for a few more changes. I'm hoping to release some more changes in the next few days.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 2, 2012, 4:37:38 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT: A new version (1.1.0) has been posted! Installation instructions remain the same. If you have 1.0.0, you should be able to overwrite those files. However, you do not need to install 1.0.0 to install/run 1.1.0. This will be the case for all future updates.

Saved games from 1.0.0 should be compatible, although you will want to redesign any corvette-class ships you have to fit into the new tonnage rules.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 2, 2012, 8:44:17 PM
Can I continue to play an ongoing game I had with the first version, or will that mess it up?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 2, 2012, 10:59:46 PM
arithon wrote:
Can I continue to play an ongoing game I had with the first version, or will that mess it up?

When I make changes I often use old savegames to test (that way I don't have to play a brand new game every time). As far as I can tell, the changes I made for this update should not break any parts of your game. The only thing that I can think of that could possibly be an issue would be any corvette-class ships you have. With the new change to defense modules for corvettes it is likely that any saved ship loadouts you have for that class will be too heavy, so you will want to redesign any models you have of that class.

Long story short: Yes, your savegames should be okay if you just overwrite 1.0.0.

EDIT: This was an important question so I added this info to the original announcement (post #27). Thanks for bringing this up, arithon!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 4, 2012, 8:37:57 PM
Playing the new version, lots of fun.

Btw, I would suggest you re-title the mod to "Combat Rebalance Mod" or something, it might attract more attention by putting what it doe's in the title.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 4, 2012, 9:21:21 PM
arithon wrote:
Playing the new version, lots of fun.

Btw, I would suggest you re-title the mod to "Combat Rebalance Mod" or something, it might attract more attention by putting what it doe's in the title.

I thought about giving it a name like that, but I didn't want to limit the scope of the mod to combat. As it stands right now most (but not all) of my changes have been combat-oriented, but I didn't want to pigeon-hole the mod.

I would like to at least include an allusion to the changes in the thread title so I can keep people posted on what is going on with the mod, but I do not know how to change the titles. Does anyone know how to do this?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 4, 2012, 9:55:49 PM
Any moderator can change the title. We will usually be happy to change the title once, so pick carefully and I'll change it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 8, 2012, 1:09:32 AM
Even with this mod everything dies either in the first round or shortly in the second. Ive never made it to the third round smiley: frown
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 8, 2012, 10:34:37 AM
Please, put the folders Original.1.0.18, Original.1.0.17 and so on in zip file. So there is no need to backup original files.

I think there is no problem for everyone to download ~100kb more.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 31, 2012, 5:08:00 PM
a4rino wrote:
Wow! The only thing more terrifying than your fleet in the 4th video was the loading time of the battle itself! While the crashes must have been frustrating it's fun to see people pushing the boundaries of what can be done in the game.

Yeah, 119 dreadnoughts takes quite a lot of time to load...Took like 3 mins to load, not to forget the epic lag o.O(The lag was even worse in the 1st recording of the dreadnought fleet which I didn't upload when I couldn't even press free camera) But I think having more than 20-30 ships on field is useless xD Since their weapons won't even hit before the enemies are already dead ;o
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 8, 2012, 8:36:52 PM
arithon wrote:
Unless there is a big disaparity in fleet size or tech levels, your battles should often reach all three rounds. Are you sure you have the mod loaded?

Yep, auto loading it via steam, and it says its loaded in the bottom left corner. Either way I extracted it this time around to the public folder overwriting the originals, playing a new map, will see how it goes.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 10, 2012, 1:39:03 AM
Annex wrote:

This is sad to hear. What difficulty are you playing on? And is it your ships that go down or those of other players? The AI gets some hefty buffs at harder difficulties that may be wiping your ships out; alternatively, you may just be much smarter than the AI at your fleet composition! Let me know the details of your game and I will see if I can reproduce your problem - I've been seeing many of my battles make it to melee.

DDark wrote:
Please, put the folders Original.1.0.18, Original.1.0.17 and so on in zip file. So there is no need to backup original files.

I think there is no problem for everyone to download ~100kb more.

I'm not sure I understand your request. If you follow the mod installation instructions on the first post then you should have no need for backing up the original files - they will all still be there in your Program Files (assuming you're running the Windows version). You should not be touching the Program Files directory, so all of the old files should be intact.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 10, 2012, 12:21:17 PM
I almost never lose ships, but dont worry about it this is a minor complaint really. Game has much bigger issues (like boring me to death) smiley: wink
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 12, 2012, 9:27:51 PM
Just wanted to say I'm still enjoy the mod, battles are so much better with this.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 13, 2012, 8:31:58 PM
I would like to see this mod placed into the community mod that is already out there.

The battles are soo much more interesting with this mod, and with the other changes that the community mod is making... Wow...

The two mods together would be VERY cool.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 13, 2012, 9:38:04 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately this particular merge is "hard", because both have modified the same files in different ways. A person who is familiar with linux diff/patch/merge (or similar capabilities in some fancy Windows editor) can probably do it. I think the scope of this change is too big, and probably too controversial, to put into the community mod. However, a4rino is certainly welcome to merge the other way, and include the community mod changes into his mod. Credit to the original authors (davea, ail, grubsnix) is requested.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 14, 2012, 12:36:30 AM
NovaBlazer wrote:
I would like to see this mod placed into the community mod that is already out there.

The battles are soo much more interesting with this mod, and with the other changes that the community mod is making... Wow...

The two mods together would be VERY cool.

I don't foresee a wholesale integration of these two mods because I think they serve two different purposes (and thus have two different trajectories for where they will end up). That said, I will try to take a look at some of the changes davea and company are making in the community balance mod and perhaps I will incorporate some of those changes if I feel that they will add value to my mod (giving credit where it is due, of course!).

Also, to davea: Thanks for your permission to use changes made by you, ail, and gubsnix. Feel free use any part of my mod if it strikes you as interesting, valuable, or fun. Actually the same goes for anyone who enjoys my mod and wants to use parts of it for their own creations.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment