Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Modding status

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jul 9, 2012, 3:23:11 PM
Davea, If you want to clean and consolidate them elsewhere I'll be ok: I agree that mod details/discussion are out of scope here.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 12:36:05 PM
This tells me relatively little except that it isn't already done in the exported files. It was mentioned that you can add code to alter effects in game via the XML, it is just limited.

That said, you did just remind me to update my combat guide with XML-ripped data when I have time.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 6, 2012, 5:52:09 AM
Ketobor wrote:
Will it be possible to adjust how certain effects are calculated?

Combat damage operations

Accuracy

Tax rates

A non-linear evaluation of approval.

Buy-out costs

Retrofit costs

etc.

I don't think so, but I encourage you to read through all the xml files which have been posted on my nearby thread.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 5, 2012, 8:29:55 PM
Will it be possible to adjust how certain effects are calculated?

Combat damage operations

Accuracy

Tax rates

A non-linear evaluation of approval.

Buy-out costs

Retrofit costs

etc.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 5, 2012, 9:48:10 AM
davea wrote:
@ everybody else, go look into the xml!

/#/endless-space/forum/37-modding/thread/15656-all-your-xml-are-belong-to-us

Didn't have the time yesterday but now that I look at it, great! Implementing my modding ideas might not be as hard as I expected, I might even be able to do the majority of things myself. I'll start organizing myself now.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 10:07:39 PM
@ amplimath, I am tremendously impressed by the contents of the xml files. It seems like quite a lot of stuff will be moddable. What we need to get started is a tool to unpack and repack the assets file. Also, please let us know if you have a strategy for combining mods, when two modders have changed *different* xml files. Is there a load order capability, for multiple mods?

@ everybody else, go look into the xml!

/#/endless-space/forum/37-modding/thread/15656-all-your-xml-are-belong-to-us
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 7:37:25 PM
My priority goes to be able to tweak the actual gameplay system, hence the planet types, population size, planet design, system design, galaxy design, et ceterra...

I want to be able to mod this because I'm quite honestly not content with having a tiny planet being better than a medium sized one, and changing this has already been definitely denied so a mod will have to fix this for me.

I already plan to raise a team of modders for that if possible but of course only once the basic modding can begin, that's why my vote goes to this.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 4, 2012, 6:15:49 PM
Hello everyone:

I would like to know if it's possible to mod the game interface (system, galaxy view, etc...), just tunning here and there and cleaning/adding stuff (yeah, I'm being a lazy git and still didn't look at the xml files smiley: stickouttongue)

Salutem plurimam
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 8:56:35 PM
Please embed the google V8 JavaScript Engine into the game and allow us to write AI (especially AI) scripts and other stuff using JavaScript. This language is easy to learn, has tons of already existing code, is well known to a lot of people and the most important: It can manipulate itself, that means the code can modify the code using eval or new Function() and serialize itself (toSource). This is helpful for real AIs that are able to learn using the latest machine learning algorithms. V8 is open source, can be embedded into any C++ project and under BSD license, so you can embed it into closed source projects. The only thing you would have to do is to export a couple of methods that allow to read/write temporary files in a pre-defined mod foldes and some controls over the game (it comes with a nice garbage collection as well).

P.S.: What do you think is more easy?

or

{

SimulationObjectDescriptor: {

Name: "StarSystemImprovementIndustry1",

Type: "StarSystemImprovement",

SimulationObjectPropertyModifierDescriptors: [

{TargetProperty:"Industry",Value:10,OperationType:"Addition",Path:"../ClassStarSystem"},

{TargetProperty:"Industry",Value:1,OperationType:"Addition",Path:"../ClassStarSystem/ClassPlanet,PlanetTypeArid"},

{TargetProperty:"Industry",Value:1,OperationType:"Addition",Path:"../ClassStarSystem/ClassPlanet,PlanetTypeTundra"},

{TargetProperty:"Industry",Value:1,OperationType:"Addition",Path:"../ClassStarSystem/ClassPlanet,PlanetTypeDesert"},

{TargetProperty:"Industry",Value:1,OperationType:"Addition",Path:"../ClassStarSystem/ClassPlanet,PlanetTypeArctic"},

{TargetProperty:"Upkeep",Value="2",OperationType:"Soustraction",Path:"ClassStarSystemImprovement"}

]

}

}

And the best is: Copy that into a browser and execute it aka:

var data = {...above...};

and you can use standard libraries default browser debugger to manipulate it and then:

console.log( JSON.stringify(data) );

To copy it back to the app. You can even offer a web based editor for that stuff and other people can do that as well, just in normal web pages. There is a reason why everybody goes to HTML 5 ;-).

my 2 cent
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 1:19:46 PM
As a modder I'd say : Generalize ! IMHO, while generalization might delay the release of new stock features for the game, hard-coding these features and generalizing them might be harder than creating the generalization system and then developping the feature as the default implementation.

So in order of preference :

- Release XML files, if (relatively) final. The community will probably put the effort to understand and document them (how about you provide a modding wiki ?)

- Put together an asset import system (for 3D models & stuff).

- Generalize existing components :

-- New XMLs if needed

-- New DLLs like the galaxy generation one

- Develop new features by changing existing default XMLs or implementations of generalized components, add generalization features if needed

I'm not mentioning documentation / tools development in the list as the community may provide these.

As for deployment, a Steam Workshop probably would be a nice option. I have no idea of how the workshop works, but maybe you could create a directory structure where we could install mods manually, and later use the workshop to install mods in that same directory ?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 7:25:04 AM
Since the most prevalent concerns in my gaming group are balance issues which could be easily solved by editing some xmls, I would love to see an easy ability to edit these stats and share mods with friends!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 3, 2012, 6:03:06 AM
can we add our own race picture into the game,to create custom factions? do we need to edit some specific file for this? smiley: ohh
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 2, 2012, 6:22:21 PM
I would like to have more control over AI improvement build order, tech order, ship design, and retrofit. (Actually I want the game to handle it better, but if there are xml hooks I can do it myself.)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 2, 2012, 6:12:17 PM
Priority number one is to get Star Trek ship designs and weapon animations. Copyright be damned!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jul 2, 2012, 5:43:17 PM
TL: DR Generalization (customizable ship / weapon / def stats and race picks)

As far as I can tell from the last version I have seen (0.51.2) there will be need for balancing things. So my vote goes to Generalization. My main concerns are about race picks / playable factions / combat. Altering those parameters enables the community to help narrowing the gap between imba picks and useless or op weapons etc. (level 3 Administrator (+25 production flat) on Turn 3-4 for example or those glasscannons).

Beside that I would like to see hardcoded features with a possibility to turn them on / off at game creation. Random events come to mind where if you play a multiplayer game and a player gets that nasty -90% scanrange he is practically blinded for so many turns.

Regards

Mimic
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Aug 17, 2012, 9:52:54 AM
LoiCus- wrote:
We are currently working on allowing modders to add their own tech icons, custom faction portraits, hero portraits...something tells me it should come very soon... smiley: smile

Can you wait atleast 2 weeks? If possible I want to release 1.0 version of Endless Dream before smiley: smile

Can you add to list: "we release technologies to further tinkering, from now it's possible to hide technology from view depending your actions / choices in game", pretty please :P
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment