Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Space save editor released

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 19, 2012, 7:30:30 AM
Delayed announcement:

The 1.0 version of the ES editor is no longer free.

[LIST=1]
  • Anyone who can compile the source code can do so using SVN. This is because I like to encourage others to learn more about computers smiley: smile

• [/LIST]
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Sep 19, 2012, 2:55:42 PM
    EvilFred wrote:
    The 1.0 version of the ES editor is no longer free.

I take back the advice I offered you on marketing, and I won't be using your software anymore. Modding should be free.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Sep 19, 2012, 3:07:00 PM
    even more so when i consider that i can do all of the above and more with just a simple xml edditor. Not as comfortable, true(!) but if you know where to change what, much more powerful.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Sep 19, 2012, 3:58:31 PM
    A great pity since I was a huge fan of this mod and the potential it held....

I understand of course that modding is a lot of work - although I trust all users of mods to be very grateful for all the effort invested in the creation of a mod - but I doubt the purpose of these forums, to include the modding area, was to be a marketplace for community members to advertise purchasable content/addons.

Perhaps we'll see a change of heart smiley: smile
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Sep 19, 2012, 8:46:15 PM
    Is there a reason you decided to do that? I've got to agree with n18 since I was also looking forward to future updates. But really, what was the point of that? I know you were upset that there weren't more posts in the thread, but doing something like making people pay for it is certainly not going to help; good luck getting even two people to buy it. It just seems like making people pay is counter-productive to what you want. It's just confusing to be honest.

Also, is requiring people to buy the editor even legal? The way I understand it is that the only reason mods and things are allowed is because the mod makers aren't making profit on it. I'm pretty sure if you want to actually sell it, you have to get permission from the developers or publisher in order to actually do it.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Sep 19, 2012, 9:42:17 PM
    It is legal, because he is not including any of the game assets, or modifying any of the game assets. For a normal mod, which includes original or modified game assets, it would "probably" not be legal. However, getting feedback for free in the first two months, and then deciding to charge, seems especially impolite.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Sep 20, 2012, 12:52:11 PM
    I'm confused, is Evil Fred saying the "price" from here on out is one has to learn to compile the source themselves, or what the rest of you interpreted it as that he actually thinks people are going to fork over money for such a tool?
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Sep 20, 2012, 1:18:47 PM
    I edited his post. Initially, it linked to a website to purchase the editor. However, he also gave the (free) SVN repository link so I kept it .
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Sep 20, 2012, 3:27:55 PM
    @ Loicus, you have removed the link to the commercial software completely. Does this mean that Amplitude's official corporate position is, this is illegal?
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Sep 20, 2012, 11:07:30 PM
    @LoiCus - Thanks that clears it up.

@davea - I don't see how one would get to that 'illegal' conclusion, I do see how one would think it's disappointing and a bad choice however and one Amp would prefer not to encourage\promote on it's forums.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Sep 21, 2012, 1:03:32 AM
    An amplitude developer deleted the link. That makes it the company's official, legal position. I just want to make sure they realize that. If they had posted, "please don't do that", that would be a preference.
    0Send private message
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Sep 21, 2012, 8:26:03 AM
    davea wrote:
    An amplitude developer deleted the link. That makes it the company's official, legal position. I just want to make sure they realize that.

Or like KnightHawk said, "it's disappointing and a bad choice and we prefer not promoting it on our forums". Creating a hack isn't "illegal" per se, we simply don't allow advertising.

Forum Rules - Advertising
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Sep 21, 2012, 2:39:43 PM
    OK, thanks for clarifying. I am not sure this is a "hack", but your point is that any link to a commercial product (even one unrelated to ES) would have its link pulled.
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Sep 26, 2012, 9:10:40 PM
    I'm into programming myself, but I've never had to compile a program before. Guess I'll go figure out how to do that.
    0Send private message
    0Send private message
    12 years ago
    Dec 28, 2012, 2:23:28 AM
    EvilFred wrote:

I'm concerned that maybe nobody's using my program. I kind of feel like I'm writing this program for myself since I haven't heard much feedback.

I have been away for awhile, I look forward to trying this out

THANKS
    0Send private message
    0Send private message
    ?

Click here to login

Comment