Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Anyone want to challenge my AIs?

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Mar 28, 2013, 2:39:50 PM
Foraven wrote:
Well, i tried to make the AI a better opponent, but did not make it impossible to befriend or unpredictible in it's behavior. I noticed while modding that the AI tend to be very slow at colonizing even if it has the ressources and population to expand, or at least fill the systems it actually own. Was that part of the nerf or it is other things that cripple it?

In my opinion the AI is massively crippled by building military-ships too early at the expense of making colony-ships. I refer to those moments when you find their home-system and are greeted by 2 war-ships... could have been colony-ships instead.

While on very small maps with lots of players that actually might make sense, it is not sophisticated to do so on average maps.

But one would need some sort of observer-mode or replay-feature to really observe and see where the AI does ineffective stuff.

The nerf was simply a reduction of their boni, especially the buyout-bonus which was ridiculously high.

In the very old versions of this game the AI sometimes bough out hundreds of fleets of crap-ships. This didn't make it any harder to beat but extremely annoying. Even if the fleets were crap and the AI more often than not couldn't even control them due to the aforementioned bug, you had to take them all out in order to invade a system.

After the nerf in combination with the supply-cost-change the AI often ran into the so-called-Bankrupcy/Rebellion-state where in order to fight it's expenses it would just increase taxes to levels where the population went into rebellion and then the AI basically killed itself.

While the handling of this issue was improved by telling the AI how to better handle monetary-troubles the actual cause was not taken care of properly.

The AI has a very poor judgement on how many ships to build. It builds too many of them most of the time which slows their developmenet in other aspects and then it scraps them if it notices it can't actually afford it.

This also leads to a point where making the AI more aggressive helps them to not let so many ressources and dust go to waste. It atleast gives them the chance to turn their production against the enemy.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 28, 2013, 12:43:31 PM
Ail wrote:
The "pre-nerf"-AI was heavily bugged. There was a bug where ships for the AI could end up stranded and never would be used again. Also the AI was not updating old designs but consistently making new ones and kept producing the old designs aswell.

There was a VIP-Version were the bugs were fixed but the AI wasn't nerfed yet. It was totally cruel. But it never went public.

Well, i tried to make the AI a better opponent, but did not make it impossible to befriend or unpredictible in it's behavior. I noticed while modding that the AI tend to be very slow at colonizing even if it has the ressources and population to expand, or at least fill the systems it actually own. Was that part of the nerf or it is other things that cripple it?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 28, 2013, 8:38:21 AM
Foraven wrote:
I dont know, wasn't there before that nerf. Playing on normal should be challenging enough, at least the AI shouldn't fold like a house of card. If it's not good enough, i know what setting i can crank smiley: twisted.

The "pre-nerf"-AI was heavily bugged. There was a bug where ships for the AI could end up stranded and never would be used again. Also the AI was not updating old designs but consistently making new ones and kept producing the old designs aswell.

There was a VIP-Version were the bugs were fixed but the AI wasn't nerfed yet. It was totally cruel. But it never went public.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 28, 2013, 4:18:32 AM
Aureon wrote:
I've beaten FF on endless, but that was when it was bugged.

What changes did you bring to designs?

Is kinetic still overpowered to no end and beams practically useless like in .08?

Well, the AI has been updated several times since, and i did readjust modules space and cost. I did un-nerf kinetic defenses and armor has been streamlined (ie cost and space use makes more sense now). As for designs, i did add a variety of ship design templates so there should be more variety in what the AI field besides what weapon and defense they use. I plan on adding more specific designs to templates if it's possible to use modules names. Oh, btw, since the patch the AI uses it's heroes so that alone should make it more challenging.

So, did you beat my AI only because you abused Kinetics or there is other flaws i should be aware of (that i didn't fix since)?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 28, 2013, 3:31:07 AM
I've beaten FF on endless, but that was when it was bugged.

What changes did you bring to designs?

Is kinetic still overpowered to no end and beams practically useless like in .08?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 28, 2013, 12:06:42 AM
stasik28 wrote:
Will this be as good or better than pre-nerf AI? smiley: stickouttongue I'll give it a try (even though I'm no where near a veteran) as soon as I can... for now I'll just wait for responses of others smiley: wink

I dont know, wasn't there before that nerf. Playing on normal should be challenging enough, at least the AI shouldn't fold like a house of card. If it's not good enough, i know what setting i can crank smiley: twisted.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 28, 2013, 12:03:55 AM
Nasarog wrote:
Does this mod work with the MAC port?

I don't have a mac, i can't say. I believe it should though.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Mar 27, 2013, 10:14:14 PM
Foraven wrote:
Alright guys (and girls), i've been doing my Fair Fight mod for a while now and i want to know how well my AI fare against the veteran players here who pride themselves about beating the best vanilla AI's can throw at them. The stock AI has many flaws for sure, and even with huge boost to production, damage and income it can be crushed by a dedicated player. Now, my mod change some of the game rules (mostly combat, making it more difficult to win fights unscratched) but i also tuned it's AI (the best i could with what can be modded) to be more ruthless, make better designs, use it's combat cards more efficiently and manage it's systems/planets better. I believe my AI does way better than the stock one, but i have yet to put it to the test. So i need test subjects to use them on smiley: twisted.

So, anyone want to challenge my AI?

Fair Fight mod

Will this be as good or better than pre-nerf AI? smiley: stickouttongue I'll give it a try (even though I'm no where near a veteran) as soon as I can... for now I'll just wait for responses of others smiley: wink
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment