Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Planet Rotating On It's Side

Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 26, 2013, 8:15:40 AM
Is there a way to view the .assets files? I have a feeling the answer to this is in there. I'm thinking we're missing some XML options (for index.xml), HaloColor can't be the only option. Is there a list of what options are available somewhere? Can a dev help us out?

It would be helpful to see the entries for the original ES planets ala index.xml, like this:

Graph/CelestialBodies/Planets/PL_Terran_A

Templates/Planets/Toxic

But i can't find entries like that in any game file that i can access (i can't see in the .assets files).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 20, 2012, 8:16:25 PM
I am not sure, is it a simple matter of changing the texture to accommodate for this?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 20, 2012, 8:30:44 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
I am not sure, is it a simple matter of changing the texture to accommodate for this?

Well there are the moons and rings affected too, I think it's more than just textures.. Ail might know smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 20, 2012, 8:37:43 PM
Well......rings could go from top to bottom as far as I am aware, I think it depends on how the planet goes around the sun to determine where they are.

But I am no physicist. smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 20, 2012, 8:46:31 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
Well......rings could go from top to bottom as far as I am aware, I think it depends on how the planet goes around the sun to determine where they are.

Me neither, ask Nosfer smiley: wink

Real Physics is one thing, the ingame physics another - I'd say Ail might know an solution, as modder smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 20, 2012, 9:50:05 PM
It's your texture mapping, I dont know if you're attempting to model and texture a custom planet (not even sure that is possible) but I suspect you're retexturing the provided material? if so then just adjust so they better match the source material. It is not coding related
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 21, 2012, 12:24:42 AM
Igncom1 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranus

"Like the other giant planets, Uranus has a ring system, a magnetosphere, and numerous moons. The Uranian system has a unique configuration among the planets because its axis of rotation is tilted sideways, nearly into the plane of its revolution about the Sun."
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 22, 2012, 5:58:50 PM
Well being as the "pinky" planet provided in modding tutorial also rotates on it's side I'm going to say you might be incorrect.

I'm just trying to texture a new planet/use the code provided in the tutorial.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 22, 2012, 6:03:06 PM
got a pic? might make it easier to identify the problem.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 22, 2012, 7:18:07 PM

Were I say "north pole" i mean the top of the cubemap, which is always facing the user/screen. I guess its rotating on its axis, which is correct, but the axis is at a 90 angle which is not.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 20, 2012, 7:59:05 PM
I've been trying to make my own custom planet/s and whenever I make one it seems to rotate on its side with the top facing the user, including moons and rings. Does anyone know what is causing this?
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 27, 2013, 4:08:43 AM
Indeed we do, i've been beating my head the last few hours against this again, i can find the answer nowhere in the current XMLs, we must be lacking some information here. smiley: frown
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 27, 2013, 1:31:50 PM
by the way, .assets are unity 3d projects, so we could try importing in that..
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 27, 2013, 1:41:12 PM
Well i figured they were archives of some kind, they have to hold all the textures, models, and other xml-like tables that we don't have access to at the moment. I don't have unity 3d, if you successfully open them, please let me know!
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 29, 2013, 12:05:29 PM
New information:

This is obviously a result of some missing information reguarding the prefab chosen in index.xml. It would be helpful if we knew the individual elements of the prefab, even more useful if we could set those elements ourselves, if it's even possible.

Using the Lava Planet prefab is the only one to use the correct rotation (don't get excited), however using it also allows for the use of luminosity textures (again don't get excited), however it defaults to the lava planet luminosity textures. So this means that you get a correctly rotating planet, with the absolutely wrong luminosity textures and you can't override them. I've tried using my own luminosity textures (suffix to use is _ILUM) to no avail. Also, using the lava prefab doesn't grab 1 of the 6 textures for a planet either.

We really need some help and information with this, if anyone reading this can get a dev to take a second or two to help, it would be amazing:

We need to get custom planets rotating properly, and enable the use of custom luminosity maps for custom worlds.

What other options we can use on custom planets, can we manually set rotation, can we add effects (like anomolies do), etc.?

Is there a way for us to see the setup for the default planets?

What exactly are the prefabs doing/setting, and can we manually set those properties to achieve a desired effect?

Can we set the use of custom cloud maps, or at least the RGB overlay of cloud maps?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Apr 29, 2013, 10:35:56 PM
LogicSequence wrote:
New information:

We really need some help and information with this, if anyone reading this can get a dev to take a second or two to help, it would be amazing

You can always PM a dev. I believe they don't have much time to browse the forum, it's always better to PM them directly to bring their attention. I would suggest Meedoc or Pikou (she usually handly things related to modding).
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment