Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Carrier Mod

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Aug 7, 2013, 2:27:36 AM
thuvian wrote:
I had seen this a few days ago and was surprised that more people weren't embracing this. This is a great work (and parallels many of my own thoughts about bombers/fighters). I'd suggest you add in the rest of the fixes for the 1.1.14 beta as well (hullweakness and some way of dealing with the defense passives). While I'm biased in thinking my approach to the matter is the right way, any of the possible solutions would be reasonable.

I would make the following suggestions

• Fix your list syntax in the bomber section of your original post
  • Make bombers as fighter modules weigh the same.
  • Limit end game fleets to ~100 spacecrafts by increasing the weight of the modules to 100 or even 200.
  • Harmony bonus is -75% to spacecraft module size. That's a big fleet of fighters and bombers.
  • Scale damage to reflect their current size
  • Remove the malus to ship damage from the fighters, they already do less than bombers versus ships.
  • Increase the repair rate of spacecraft to 25-50% per turn or so? As it stands you can just refit them and have them instantly repaired. I'm not sure how siegecraft are balanced, so that may matter.

For now I'm still hopeful that the devs will undo the unbalancing that hullweakness did to the game in beta. But yea, if nothing change I would certainly consider putting that in.

I didn't put bomber the same weight as fighter because bombers are in squads of one so they take up a lot less graphic resource per weight. I was also trying to avoid what I would term the tetris block syndrome, where all the tetris blocks are the same size, which might make fitting things into the ship un-interesting. I don't know, if more people want them the same I can always just up the number of bombers per module and get about the same graphics intensity.

I will keep the strikecraft count in mind. Maybe release a lower count version later. I kinda enjoy having more of the things flying around. (Just admit it, you thought 170 bombers was pretty epic even as it made your comp lag)

I swapped out Harmony small 2's bonus for medium 2's bonus. Harmony carrier is currently set to -50%. Though that might be too much considering you're no longer special module limited.

So, the reason I put in strong malus to fighter anti-ship at low tech level is because I didn't see a strong need to put in any bombers during my trial runs. When I ran the trials with fighter L1, they were able to overwhelm enemy ships of comparable tech levels pretty easily through sheer numbers once they reach the other side (this is compared to bomber L1). This presented a problem because I wanted fighters and bombers to have clear and separate roles. At least initially. Fighter/bomber hybrid (L4 fighters) would come along when your tech is advanced enough. I will consider dialing down the malus but I'm not convince that bomber would be used if fighters didn't have some malus.

My thought on repair rate is to put in empire improvements that are activated by special techs. Maybe one at the same tech level as fighter L1 and another around fighter L3. They would add a fix repair percentage to modules. I have to investigate whether I can enforce the module repair on only fighter/bomber modules. Other ideas?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 7, 2013, 1:05:51 AM
I had seen this a few days ago and was surprised that more people weren't embracing this. This is a great work (and parallels many of my own thoughts about bombers/fighters). I'd suggest you add in the rest of the fixes for the 1.1.14 beta as well (hullweakness and some way of dealing with the defense passives). While I'm biased in thinking my approach to the matter is the right way, any of the possible solutions would be reasonable.

I would make the following suggestions

• Fix your list syntax in the bomber section of your original post
  • Make bombers as fighter modules weigh the same.
  • Limit end game fleets to ~100 spacecrafts by increasing the weight of the modules to 100 or even 200.
  • Harmony bonus is -75% to spacecraft module size. That's a big fleet of fighters and bombers.
  • Scale damage to reflect their current size
  • Remove the malus to ship damage from the fighters, they already do less than bombers versus ships.
  • Increase the repair rate of spacecraft to 25-50% per turn or so? As it stands you can just refit them and have them instantly repaired. I'm not sure how siegecraft are balanced, so that may matter.

0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 4, 2013, 3:57:27 PM
Hahaha, as long as it works out. Let me know what you think of the mod.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 4, 2013, 7:50:08 AM
FIXED even tho I m still at a loss to the "why"

I had another mod downloaded and got the same problem. My "old" mods are all running fine. Tried the launch option for both "new" mods and it didnt work....I was booting the basic game instead. Turned around and loaded EndlessGenetics (as an example) via the launch option to see if my problem lies deeper and it didnt work either. Manually loaded EndlessGenetics worked and also updated my mod folder showing CarrierMod and the other one.

So.....some probs with my computer, apologies but I m busy checking out your mod now smiley: smile
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 4, 2013, 7:37:56 AM
yes, I got a few other mods in there, no problem so far. I m running the Disharmony expansion as well (going classic from time to time but I double-checked). The Set Launch Options doesnt work for me. It still boots the "basic" Disharmony game.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 4, 2013, 2:50:38 AM
Have you installed other mods before? Are those showing up?

Does it load if you use "Set Launch Options"?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 3, 2013, 6:10:16 AM
Dude.......the mod sounds AWESOME

Going to download and give it a try, review coming up soon smiley: smile

Running into a problem right now. I m running the 1.1.9 Disharmony version, installing the mod, doublechecked the file location and its still not showing in the mod-list within the game.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Aug 3, 2013, 12:57:58 AM
Changelog:

[V1.1.17.0]

*Completely re-balanced fighter/bomber/PD in to scale with the new weapon/defense stats in v1.1.17 of stock game, see description/forum for complete details

*Reduced carrier bonus from 30% to 25% for common carrier

*Reduced Hissho carrier bonus to 33%, Harmony carrier bonus to 40%

*Reduced low-level fighter damage malus when attacking ships

*Fighters now have an accuracy bonus when attacking bombers

*Standardized bomber module to 50 ton

*Bomber modules now come with 2 bomber per module

*Change some text to better reflect the function of the new fighter/bomber/PD

*Updated carrier stats to v1.1.17 standards

*PD now cost 24, take up 10 ton, and add 20 military power

*PD damage is now fixed and is much better than before

[v1.1.0.0]

*First created for Disharmony