Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[RELEASED] alternativ Galaxy Generator

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Sep 25, 2012, 12:38:20 PM
tanstaafl wrote:
Unity 4 is supposed to support Linux (natively) as a platform. Since ES uses Mono is there any chance ES will run under Linux some day (without using Wine etc.)?

It probably will if the engine has native support.

Is there a way to make the mod auto-load when the game starts so I dont have to load it manually every time and restart the game?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 25, 2012, 12:53:25 PM
Go to Steam/Properties/Set launch options and add the line -mod alternativeGalaxyGenerator.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 25, 2012, 4:07:40 PM
LoiCus- wrote:
Go to Steam/Properties/Set launch options and add the line -mod alternativeGalaxyGenerator.

Thanks!

Any comment on cpu threading?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 25, 2012, 4:42:00 PM
There are dozens of threads from the last 5-6 months of people complaining of only running on one CPU. The underlying unity library does not support multithreading, and the dev team has no immediate plans to do anything for this.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 26, 2012, 2:35:30 PM
I did search for at least an hour with several different keywords and only came up with two threads, one which I posted in, and the other was a locked Dev thread that did not mention anything about the issue.

I know they didnt make the engine themselves and have a lot of stuff to do, I'm just a little disappointed that this blocks the full potential of this mod.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 28, 2012, 12:47:54 PM
Is it possible to add more system names? I've seen a lot triplets and I've only explored half the galaxy yet.
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Sep 30, 2012, 4:51:28 AM
the first one beeing a dict so no.

the second one is actually usefull.

Maybe there are some names in it that aren´t used.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 3:57:02 PM
Long time no update.

Mainly because i don´t play anymore.

But i wanted to give probably the last update of this mod.

Since its MPL2 everyone can update/change it.

whats new in this update:

-it is now using the original resource distripution system.

-it can be easier modded.

-it has balancing of resources.

modding is explained in the first post.

what it does is it first loads the information from the game folder.

after that the modding folder is next. All changes are overwritten.

That ensures that if a new Version with for example new Anomalys is out you don´t need to update this mod as it works as nothing happened.

for balancing i use the formular descriped in balanced galaxy generator.

systemWorth = systemMaxPopulation * ( sumOf{ planetType * planetPopulation * anomalyWorth * HasResource } )

HomeWorldWorth = sumOf { (5-distance) * systemWorth }

it then calculates the average value.

The Galaxy with the lowest difference to the extreme values of the Galaxy is used.

if a planet has a resource it is Worth 20% more.

planetType and anomalyWorth are calculated via the approval value of the game/mod and reaches from 0.5 to 1.5

as always it is also threaded.

But this time it uses alot more memory.

It should be ok.

Now it´s up to you.

Test how the balancing feels.

And give feedback
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 5:48:18 PM
Doesn't work smiley: alder the game just keeps "generating" the map forever. (but I think it does nothing)

Any tips?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 5:59:03 PM
read the part "Report a Bug" in the first post.

Then give me all the information stated there.

If you want to generate a large map it can take some minutes to generate.

Try lowering the size and it should work faster.

You can also look at the task manager how much CPU usage it has.

The mod has 2 phases of nearly 100%
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 6:20:18 PM
It appears you where right about waiting, I just tried "massive" and it took ~15 minutes.

the weird thing is that the size before that only takes ~10 seconds to load. weird.

But well, it works smiley: smile (I'm not going to try Supermassive again though, that'll probably take an hour to load)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 6:50:21 PM
the time needed is not linear.

also you can reduce generation time by lowering the star connectivity
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 6, 2012, 10:52:59 PM
just a quick update.

i found another bottleneck in the resource distribution.

It only showed because it now uses the original generator for that.

For the update tomorrow expect that big galaxys will generate in alot less time.

And that this part has been reworked so that positions of resources are different.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 7, 2012, 1:46:52 PM
I'm very sad to see you won't continue work on this awesome mod smiley: frown You've done a great job!

Now let's hope Amplitude makes the game multi-threaded so we can generate a 10,000+ system galaxy that doesn't run at 4 FPS smiley: stickouttongueower:

Oh and it would be cool with more galaxy shapes smiley: redface
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 7, 2012, 4:19:06 PM
Galaxy shapes can be added fairly easily. See the "galaxy generator explained" thread. Basically, you just need to make a PNG graphics file with the right colors, and the existing generator will use it. What shapes would you like to see?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 7, 2012, 5:38:07 PM
I have a fun hobby project going too, to create 4X game smiley: stickouttongue I thought one thing could be useful for you. That is idea of galaxy divided in sectors internally, much like quad-tree works only that you just don't need to make it a tree but a grid. I split galaxy in 16 sectors (4x4), and gave each one size of 100.0. Each sector has its unique dynamic star-array to hold the stars in. This search speeds up positional look-up alot. When i need to compare star to its neighbours, i can leave over half the galaxy out of equation.

Attached screenshot of my demo with 50000 stars, each with randomly generated 0 to 5 planets (yes, it's possible that star system has no planets at all). This renders just GL_POINTS, but it took 4 seconds to generate (just positional data and little about planet types, sizes etc).

There is a generation condition that each star cannot be within certain distance of eachother.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment