Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[RELEASED] alternativ Galaxy Generator

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Dec 9, 2012, 4:18:32 PM
@ dagobert, the key point is that the file format of the galaxy has changed, and your generator has not changed. There is a thread which lists the particular xml files which have changed. But it just lists them by name. There is no information on the forum which says what is the difference in the file format. It is *possible* that the repository for the galaxy generator is up to date. Theoretically, the dev team should update it for each release. But I have not checked.

/#/endless-space/forum/37-modding/thread/16354-galaxy-generator-repository-on-assembla

If you could update your generator for the new format, that would be awesome, because a number of people seem to enjoy a much bigger galaxy.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 9, 2012, 5:33:34 PM
i have sayd that there were no changes in the galaxy generator.

I have checked the svn and the last change was from 3.09.

Also the svn version still works with the current version.

Because there are no major changes to the generated xml files.

it also comes to the point where it calculates something else.

So i think that there is no problem with reading the file.

just something that the game doesn´t know anymore.

knowing what key in what dict the game is missing would help finding the problem.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 13, 2012, 3:35:56 AM
Awesome Work! May I ask for an Update to the latest Version of ES and could you give us an alternative Version which includes the Colored Anomalies Mod. That would be very nice of you, thank you buddy. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 15, 2012, 5:19:01 PM
piPPoGER wrote:
Awesome Work! May I ask for an Update to the latest Version of ES and could you give us an alternative Version which includes the Colored Anomalies Mod. That would be very nice of you, thank you buddy. smiley: smile

Read the last 5 posts to answer your question about updating.

And you can add the Colored Anoms by just moving those files into this mod's folder.

Dagobert, have you made a bug report asking the devs to check into this issue?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 15, 2012, 5:29:53 PM
nope.jpg

and i think that a bug report for a mod gets ignored.

Because the mod author has to fix problems with his mods. not the devs.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 15, 2012, 7:02:24 PM
Dagobert says his mod works correctly and the game is wrong. I have sent a private post last week to the dev team pointing out that this mod is popular and asking them to take a look, but no reply.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 16, 2012, 12:08:02 AM
This just crashes my game with an (in-game) dialogue box about some null values and such...

Edit: Oh, discontinued.

Now where the hell can I get bigger galaxies from? smiley: frown
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 9:23:39 AM
Is it possible to have the latest build and/or an output file, and/or more infos on that issue ?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 4:47:03 PM
I've confronted an xsd generated from the GalaxyConfiguration provided, and ours, at the current of the GalaxyGen. There are some differences between Dagobert's and ours (obviously, since he managed to add Arcs into the maps), but i don't know if it can cause the crash.

Since Dagobert managed to do some script injection in the galaxy settings, i guess he'd be able to pinpoint more on why it crashes. Also, without any source, nor debug symbols, i'm not able to find the cause of the crash since i cannot debug it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 5:11:58 PM
He does provide the source on the first page of this post doesn't he?

I would happily put in the work to get this project up and running again but I looked over the source and honestly couldn't figure out where to start, my coding experience was 20 years ago and I'm just lost looking at what he did.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 5:15:23 PM
There are two different advances in dagobert's work.

1. Use an efficient algorithm to generate the strings; the standard galaxy generator has N^3 or exponential runtime so huge galaxies cannot be generated. This should be fixed in the standard algorithm, then generating large galaxies will be fast.

2. Use javascript to customize the generator. This is a "nice to have", but it isn't ultimately as important as the first one.

@ Ravine, have you seen the threads in the modding forum where the runtime complexity of string generation was analyzed? The algorithm seems "obviously" inefficient and fixing it "does not seem that hard". Lots of people like to play with larger galaxies.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 6:01:59 PM
davea wrote:
There are two different advances in dagobert's work.

1. Use an efficient algorithm to generate the strings; the standard galaxy generator has N^3 or exponential runtime so huge galaxies cannot be generated. This should be fixed in the standard algorithm, then generating large galaxies will be fast.

2. Use javascript to customize the generator. This is a "nice to have", but it isn't ultimately as important as the first one.

@ Ravine, have you seen the threads in the modding forum where the runtime complexity of string generation was analyzed? The algorithm seems "obviously" inefficient and fixing it "does not seem that hard". Lots of people like to play with larger galaxies.

Indeedily doodily. Since the dev team doesn't seem ready to respond, how well do you think an open letter/petition would work? I'm looking at a poll right now that asks players what galaxy size they play on is and over forty of the sixty votes are on Huge with some responses noting that they play on post-Huge galaxy sizes, but that there wasn't an option for that. I bet if they put up "speeding up galaxy generation" on any of the G2G polls it would win pretty convincingly, considering the number of people that play these bigger galaxy sizes.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 6:36:40 PM
Strictly from the programming standpoint, I am a little embarrassed that an exponential algorithm was used. (I am not part of the dev team, but I am embarrassed on their behalf.)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 6:54:13 PM
davea wrote:
Strictly from the programming standpoint, I am a little embarrassed that an exponential algorithm was used. (I am not part of the dev team, but I am embarrassed on their behalf.)

I'm more embarrassed that this seems simple enough that pro-modders and pro-grammers have been able to "fix" it, but Amplitude hasn't even tried in all of these patches. This isn't exactly adding anomalies from fans' mods, this is a fix for a pretty major issue that every player has.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 7:07:26 PM
To be fair, not everybody wants to play in huge galaxies. There are higher priority bugs (MP desync) and higher priority enhancements (people bored with exploration) that they have addressed.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 7:20:30 PM
I agree wholeheartedly Davea, this seems like the kind of project that is very suitable to community intervention, it would be nice to see something like this integrated into the game eventually but for now the dev's have bigger things to tackle.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 10:46:05 PM
davea wrote:
To be fair, not everybody wants to play in huge galaxies.

Not by nearly an overwhelming majority, if this poll is to be believed. The second highest rated option only has ten votes, and Huge has more than double the votes of every other option combined. And besides, this makes load times better across the board, even for the smaller sizes.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 3, 2013, 11:20:37 PM
I agree it is worthwhile. Viewing the statistic another way, out of the thousands of copies sold, less than 50 people requested bigger galaxies.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment