Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Q: Is this scenario edited so no curiosities appear during the ancient era?

Copied to clipboard!
2 years ago
Sep 25, 2022, 8:19:46 PM

I've tried a couple of quick runs in the early game and it looks like exploring in the ancient era is just a safe way to get your scouts killed without any reward. I haven't seen a single curiosity during the ancient era so far. Is the scenario scripted to do that?

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 25, 2022, 9:10:02 PM

That's weird, curiosites do spawn for me. I've loaded the savefile, and I was litteraly swimming in science curiosities, all around the starting locations.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 25, 2022, 9:20:13 PM
Waykot wrote:

That's weird, curiosites do spawn for me. I've loaded the savefile, and I was litteraly swimming in science curiosities, all around the starting locations.

I'm talking ancient era, not neolithic.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 26, 2022, 6:23:20 AM

My bad, I misread.

Nonetheless, I've seen some curiosities in Ancient Era.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 26, 2022, 11:02:30 AM

Curiosities only spawn in unclaimed territories. To be honest, I've only seen some on water, but I don't remember the era.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 26, 2022, 3:33:30 PM
Ansive wrote:

Curiosities only spawn in unclaimed territories. To be honest, I've only seen some on water, but I don't remember the era.

Well, that would already be a rule change, since you can see curiosities in claimed territories in the normal game (as long as they appear in a fogged tile, it's fine). Maybe I'm just seeing fewer of them because the enemy has ton of units exploring the land very quickly, which reduces the fog available every turn.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 26, 2022, 4:34:50 PM

It's not a rule change, curiosities don't spawn in claimed territories. But, already existing curiosities might remain until claimed.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 26, 2022, 6:51:54 PM
Ansive wrote:

It's not a rule change, curiosities don't spawn in claimed territories. But, already existing curiosities might remain until claimed.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Do you know where is this explained? I can't find anything about this rule in the Encyclopedia.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 27, 2022, 12:43:59 AM

Just first hand experience, not sure if it's documented.

In games I used to keep unclaimed areas just to farm curiosities. And continuously roam coasts and oceans for the same reason.

Really tedious... but profitable mechanic (money, research, influence, UNITS). I wish they'd change it to make it less grindy.

Also, I think they stop spawning once you reach industrial era. And curiosities spawn separately for each player (no competition).

0Send private message
2 years ago
Sep 27, 2022, 12:10:22 PM

Yes, curiosities do not spawn in owned territory. However, I don't recall for sure if a territory needs to be "fully owned" to make them disappear, or being an outpost is already enough.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Oct 4, 2022, 8:37:47 PM

So, after getting bored with this scenario (too much grinding for my personal taste), I went back to a normal game, and I have ZERO doubts now. This map definitely spawns WAY fewer curiosities during the ancient era than pretty much any random map. I don't know if it was intended, a bug, or just some weird coincidence because of how units spawn in this scenario. But the difference is huge. I got probably like 20 times more curiosities in the very first ancient era I played after abandoning this map, it's like a completely diferent game.

0Send private message
Comment