This undoubtedly does not actually count since I never thought to consider having most fame as an additional condition.  I should've read the rules more closely, or maybe it did register briefly that fame mattered but I dismissed it as making the scenario impossible under conventional strategies.

I can't say if considering fame my very conventional strategy would have been successful.  By conventional I mean I didn't try to do anything that wasn't naturally intuitive like trying to become anyone's vassal.  I just focused on military from the very beginning and went from there.

BDELL TURN 213.ctr

It seemed obvious to me early on that green's outpost in the fertile Schwarzwald was a must steal.  It just looked like a defensive dream given the terrain.  I felt I needed Mycenaeans in part for the +2 CS for units adjacent to a Cyclopean Fortress on the top.  It's quite tricky nonetheless without Organized Warfare since one can never engage with more than 4 units and Green could bring at least 8 units, and stronger units, if Green coordinated that.  I was able to get a 4 vs 4 situation though which was the key to dealing with Green.  No margin for error at this stage.  I then went Romans primarily for a fifth slot in armies but the Praetorian Guard also ended up being my flagship unit all the way up until I got gunpowder (archers were pretty critical too though, and later mortars and siege artillery).  

I initially vassalized Green but then around turn 90-something found that Green wouldn't just rebel to attack me, but would abandon all ideas of defending against the Orange army that was roaming around and just turned its capital over to Orange.  I found there was no way for me to prevent this with the Orange army behind Green's armies and I eventually went back all the way back to restart at turn 46 where I vassalized Green and took Green land instead.  Eventually I eliminated Green and Orange and vassalized both Black and Red at about the same time at the end.

For Medieval I went Aztecs as it's just much easier with the +2 land movement, including within battlefields.  It was tough to make much progress in production or science turn 60 to turn 120 range with all of the population having to be turned into military units.  I had enough units to stop Orange from landing but just barely:

Orange's undoing was getting caught in the single hex channel.  I then unloaded on him with archers and an arquebusier or two while denying him landing.  Then island hopped over and was able to get the first territory on Orange's continent by winning battles that were not on Orange's continent but could lead to forcing a surrender that would provide a territory on the continent by virtue of adjacency.  This is what made Orange a more logical priority than Red. 

Landing on Red's northeast coast wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be because a few key hexes were still not City hexes.  And the northeast Red territory with the Forbidden City etc was ultimately takeable with the annexation affinity but by this time I was Soviets (having gone Joseon > Siamese) so was pretty much cruising by then anyway.

Maybe I didn't try hard enough but it seemed nobody wanted to trade with me, never mind ally.  This made the scenario a lot more challenging since luxuries had to be conquered for access and stability generally was a constant problem.  Cultural wonders were already taken and Religion tenets weren't available either, severely crimping access to stability help.