DOWNLOAD AND ENJOY!

Hello!

My entry to the Map Contest. I've got little to no experience designing 4x maps, 
but the heightmap generator was a lot of fun. I design and paint for my job, so I whipped 
out photoshop/illustrator and wanted to see what I could do.

THE MAP

Overall my focus was to try and make this equal but also organic and dynamic. 
I'm not a fan of the geometrically equal maps, since they only promote one way to play.
I couldn't totally play test it. I will say that 6 people is crazy, and 2 people might have too many 
resources on the map. So there's definitely tweaking to be done. 3-4 might be a sweet spot.
Late game materials are  scarce and harder to get, being only in heavily contested zones like the small continents.

THE DEV

I found the heightmap generator to be really useful as a broad outline to get good variation 
but I had to go in and manually fix many elevations that wouldn't pass the validator. I think it could be improved 
with some logic that handles elevation mis-matches.

Overall, pretty simple to use. What worries me the most is resource placement - it's impossible (I think?)
 to see territory lines and place resources at the same time so I kind of ended up just trying to ensure there were enough 
resources everywhere for people to be happy but still have conflict in getting the 2-3 quantity resources for upgraded units.

Here is the map

Leave feedback if you like, especially if you've played it and have notes, bugs, errors! My goal was only to have a little fun and contribute.