Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

AI concerns

Copied to clipboard!
4 years ago
Oct 23, 2020, 2:15:31 PM

1) First of all the AI names:

Why, when there is so much life in these characters, are they given generic names such as ‘Empire 1 (AI)’.  When diplomacy is carried out, it feels almost like I’m watching Broadway or a Shakespearian play (which feels terrific!).  It’s so un-immersive, so fourth wall breaking, to see these wonderful performances being played, but the names of the characters serve only to remind me that they are computers.  These are characters I want to get attached to and to form a relationship with throughout the course of the game.  Even if the names were inappropriate for the culture/period names like Chuck of the Zhou, or Jessica of the Hittites, it would allow so much more story telling.

2) The Ai and units:

Yesterday I focused heavily on warfare.  War, in my opinion, is one of the most important things for a game like this to get right.  I played two games and fought three wars against the AI empires yesterday.  During this time I saw one military unit that wasn’t a scout, one!  I understand that this opendev is probably played on an easier difficulty, but when the AI aggressively forward-settles me, please make sure they have some military to back it up.  Warfare is extremely underwhelming at the moment.  For context, these wars are being fought pre-turn 50.

Sorry for being so negative during such a happy time, but these are huge concerns of mine.

If anyone has had any similar experiences or has noticed any other odd behavior from the AI, I’d love to hear about.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 23, 2020, 3:01:42 PM

You bring up a good point. Even having color-themed names (Crimson for red, Leaf for green, Azure for blue) would be a good way of handling it. I'd also like to know when and why they choose to trade, especially since they never seemed to repurchase stuff from me. Side note, but having a popup or tooltip explaining how much gold someone can ask for if they make a counteroffer would be nice, since it's different for different deals.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 23, 2020, 3:10:35 PM

1. I believe it's in part due to civilization naming schemes still being works in progress. 

2. If you go to the diplo screen and check the tab above the AI character, it'll display their "traits" and you'll see both of them are set to Casual, so yeah. It also seems military wasn't one of the main focuses of this particular demo, which is a bit of a shame, but sure.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 23, 2020, 5:19:11 PM

Having played the earlier OpenDev release, I had a massive advantage over the AI in fights. I can't believe they've deliberately made the AI worse, so I have to believe that it's just down to the very easy difficulty. I had one single scout beat up on about 4 different armies who kept attacking him.

I'm guessing they're doing this for all the people who haven't played before - there's a lot of systems and I'm guessing being steamrollered wouldn't be fun.

I probably won't play again because it was too easy, but hopefully the full release will have a bit smarter AI given that's all strategy fans really want deep down.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 23, 2020, 5:19:44 PM

Oh, and should add, I was very happy that Amplitude kept improving the AI in Endless Legend after release so they do understand this.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 23, 2020, 5:50:53 PM
punkass wrote:

Oh, and should add, I was very happy that Amplitude kept improving the AI in Endless Legend after release so they do understand this.

Ehhhhh...yes the AI was dramatically improved in EL post launch. However, the game did not start with any AI to speak of. The AI in EL at launch did not know how to play the game. That was taught over the course of many months of patches and then feedback and more patches and then...nothing. Fortunately we had LeadeEnemyBoss's fantasitc community patch to thank for an AI that doesn't just roll over and kill itself (they really should integrate his changes into the main game).

In ES2 it was a lot better but still not perfect and there are a lot of hitches in the more exotic races. I'm not expecting too much but I remain hopeful.

In any case. I am kind of interested to see what kind of AI Amplitude can come up with when everybody plays mostly the same way on the same playing field on account of we all are the same human race.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment