Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Combat and Culture Selection

Copied to clipboard!
4 years ago
Oct 28, 2020, 5:25:15 PM

First of all thank you for providing the opportunity for us the play demo on Stadia. It was fun. I tried 2 times with different paths to go and picked different cultures for classic era. Finished both games around 45-50 turns.

I would like to say I love the artworks, overall scene making is amazing, and it is very satisfying to watch city quarters grow.

Although not quite familiar, gameplay experience is very smooth.

Yet I feel selecting the culture by each era design is a little weird. It's a good idea, but I feel like we may want to apply some more restrictions?

For example, if we select Zhou to start with, I think we shouldn't be provided the option to select South American cultures like Aztec or Maya. We may be able to choose among Japan, Korea, Ming, and Khmer. Would it make more sense?

Maybe there is two methods of unlocking cultures: one is historic relativities like I mentioned above, other is in game encounter. Once we meet a certain culture in the game, they are unlocked in our list.

Please do keep the building style of each era's culture when they were created. CIV6 doesn't respect this and even conquered cities switch appearance immediately, which is totally absurd. I believe we want to see the trace of city development through how it looks. "Old towns" tell a lot of stories about this.

Then wonders. Maybe I didn't focus on industry yields but for the 2 games I played I was not able to finish a single wonder. (I was a kind ruler and didn't enslave my citizens to smash the wonder out) Not sure the production requirement for wonders is in a good balance now.

Finally combat mode. I love the way combat is designed, like between Civ and Might & Magic. But in the combat mini scene, I feel selecting units and giving orders to the units is a little buggy. I need to select a unit twice so that I can deploy it. Same sometimes during the combat rounds.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 28, 2020, 6:01:48 PM
furion1986 wrote:

Yet I feel selecting the culture by each era design is a little weird. It's a good idea, but I feel like we may want to apply some more restrictions?

For example, if we select Zhou to start with, I think we shouldn't be provided the option to select South American cultures like Aztec or Maya. We may be able to choose among Japan, Korea, Ming, and Khmer. Would it make more sense?

Hi ! I get your point, but the way the game is made, I don't think it is going to happen. 

First of, because there's only 10 different cultures/civilizations to choose from for each era, with different affinities (gameplay orientations and mechanics) that are available to allow gameplay balance. The second point is that the game is supposed to have a maximum of 8 players (could be up to 10, still WIP), hence for a given culture, when moving to the next era, there's not always its historical neighbours or descendants, so that would drastically decrease the choice of cultures in this new era (Eras are as follow : you start as a nomadic tribe, moving to Ancient Era, Classical Era, Medieval Era, Early Modern Era, Industrial Era, Contemporary Era).

furion1986 wrote:
Please do keep the building style of each era's culture when they were created.

It is implemented in game, when you select a new culture, your already built cities will keep their City Center and Emblematic Quarter design, so you'll keep track of your cultural path that way. Just as an example, this was my Nubian-Gothic Kerma city (you can see there the Nubian's city center and Meroe's Pyramids, along with Gothic style quarters) :

furion1986 wrote:
Maybe I didn't focus on industry yields but for the 2 games I played I was not able to finish a single wonder. (I was a kind ruler and didn't enslave my citizens to smash the wonder out) Not sure the production requirement for wonders is in a good balance now.

Did you try to attach more than one city to build the wonders ? You could usually decreased at least by half the production cost when attaching another city or more to its construction.

And, well yeah, battles are a bit tricky at first (I had quite the same issues you describe, in the first OpenDev), but were so much more enjoyable with this new OpenDev (guess I was more used to its mechanics).

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Oct 28, 2020, 6:06:06 PM
Waykot wrote:
Did you try to attach more than one city to build the wonders ? You could usually decreased at least by half the production cost when attaching another city or more to its construction.

Didn't realize we can do this!

Will definitely try if there's a next opendev! (plz)

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment