Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 9:36:37 PM

I agree that mobility has to increase. And the text "Boarding Vessel" was also super misleading. I thought it meant it could ferry units FAST across the oceans. So after finding some islands I want to get to that required sailing across deep water tiles, I loaded up my quadrireme with a scout and... then they could only move 2 tiles per turn because of the scouts movement ability. The scout got ON the boat, he's not paddling along side. He absolutely should move at the speed of the boat. It also then made it impossible for me to reach the island with them because at 2 movement per turn I'd be lost at sea. This was super frustrating. It also makes trying to achieve expansionist star goals really hard if you can see all the land but not be able to claim it. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 10:21:52 PM

It certainly would increase the effectiveness and utility of navies if ships in Humankind gained the ability to haul units, could be represented by a separate army window, who's army size is limited by the number of ships in the stack. The complaints about movement are largely tied to the slow transport vessels I imagine, which should stay in the game but as an alternative to dedicated ships ferrying units. Loading chariots on to a trireme would be sick.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 10:23:47 PM

Unlike my other feedback posts, this one will be rather short by virtue of the AI not engaging in naval endeavours or building any ships at all ;)

I went Phoenicians, Carthage and Venice in my main run so I did my fair share of naval stuff. I liked all the improvements that were in this Victor build; I built an empire on naval trade routes and it felt great; ship movement and range was fine. Ships look really cool! Naval combat only happened when my ships engaged with embarked independent units so that wasn't really a challenge. I can only speculate on actual naval combat: the attacker will be strongly advantaged starting from the cannon ages since there is no terrain strategizing at sea: the attacker can focus fire one enemy ship without penalty since all ships can reach eachother. Since the attacker is decided by who can click the other army the fastest, this isn't great fun.

So this will need to be addressed I think, but please beware with systems like the EL one; random storms and fog feel very unfair and punitive when you can't directly control your unit movement and position. While that concept was really cool, I disliked how it turned out.

Another thing: it would be so cool if early naval scouting was rewarded with coastal outpost; currently ships can't do it. But I don't know if it would be unbalanced.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 29, 2021, 11:51:48 PM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:
  • Increased number of turns ships with Navigator can survive in deep water
  • Introduced Skilled Navigator for mid-game ships, allowing them to survive even longer in deep water

I'm not sure if I noticed a difference between this and Lucy Opendev, but that's likely because my only ship experience is in the Phoenicians and carthoginians, along with transport ships, for the early eras, and then my later game experience with naval ships are with all ships that can handle deep water.

Fixed gun platforms being unable to shoot at land units in combat

This i tested. Seems the red reticle shows up for early game committed naval ships--as long as they're on a same level tile right next to an enemy unit, in the ancient era, which I am somewhat okay with. As Naval supported battles was indeed a thing back in Roman times.

However, naval land range on ships really needs to be explained in a clear way as the only thing I've gathered from trial and error is that gun platform capable ships (mid-industrial Coastal iron clads in this example) have a two tile altitude limit (Sea level -> Land tile one altitude above a sea tile) depending how far they are away from the coast--where the range for those ships are quite reasonably far, but only if the land units are in altitude range.

Increased the range of Gun Platform ships

Haven't noticed the difference, as I didn't use Gun platform ships that much in Lucy.

Reduced cost of naval trade routes

This came into play for me while playing in this opendev. And I have no opinions on it besides that it exists, and has worked sometimes.

The AI may not construct many warships yet

Yep, they sure know how to adequately spam Horde units though, which is a plus.

Let us know what you think of the naval gameplay now!

I'm not that opiniated on ancient - Classical era Naval support, as the instances where I used it were in a seige against quite a mountanous region. BUT: Last Naval Supported Land Invasion Start.ctr

That save file has access to a pretty neat naval supported land invasion against a overwhelming, but technologically inferior, force that chose to attack first. Which made me kinda wish there was a little mission in this opendev to test out a handcrafted naval supported land battle. As that was the most interesting battle I had throughout that entire playthrough, which was more orientated towards warring with naval units.

Overall: 

1. I like the concept of Naval ships supporting land invasions, and I also liked what I played through so far with naval support.
  2. It really stinks that neither Embarked land units or committed naval ships can attack player regions that have no accessible land to climb on, by that I mean: If every tile has a quarter on an island region with only about less then ten land tiles, then that region can not be attacked. This has also been a problem in Endless Legend.
  3. I would be interesting to see Naval ships have the capacity to initiate battles with land units on a neighboring land tile, or be able to siege coastal cities.

Naval ships have potential to be something a player can legitamately make a logical decision in wanting, or needing to use in order to get that little edge up against other land focused players, but Naval artillery range is gonna be what kills ships--especially in the cases where land units have better range as they are not limited to the Altitude restrictions, 'cause there are no scenarios in this opendev where I can see dry land being one tile below sea level(Which while interesting to think about existing, is unlikely).

I will say, however, it helps a lot that Industrial naval ships are the same price as later industrial era land units. Naval ships being more expensive than land units is not the right thing to do with what naval ships can do right now.

What would make naval ships better?

1. Being able to initiate attacks to siege coastal cities
  2. Being able to initiate battle against land units on an adjacent land tile.

Are the only two things I can think of right now. Now, I don't need both of these to always result in a win for the naval unit, and am okay if the enemy can just run away out of range in order to end the battle--as that makes sense. 

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 30, 2021, 6:39:22 AM

Reduced transportation cost of naval trade was very nice touch. It did not make sense at all that a naval trade route had even higher cost than that of land trade route (especially when they had similar travel distance.)

0Send private message
3 years ago
Apr 30, 2021, 12:25:23 PM
Changlini wrote:

What would make naval ships better?

1. Being able to initiate attacks to siege coastal cities
  2. Being able to initiate battle against land units on an adjacent land tile.

I also think that there should be a bigger kind of stimulus or incentive to having a navy. So what could be a benefit of having ships besides being able to take part in battles and sieges?

In the Victor Open Dev I tried to explore the seas and I noticed that there are many regions that consist mostly or only of water tiles so as far as I see it, there is no possibility to claim these regions with an outpost. So the presence of ships could mark a temporary claim to that sea region which could e.g. count towards the number of controlled regions, increase your influence on  on neighbouring outposts and so on. 

In the moment naval trade routes do not show pins on the map but if this is going to be inplemented, a strong navy could be essential to protect your trade.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 2, 2021, 9:30:25 AM

Although I've built a lot of ships in Victor, I can never actually find something for them to do. The AI doesn't really build ships or settle on the coast, and exploring doesn't seem to have a point until my transports are advanced enough to ferry land units over deep sea tiles and make outposts.

As others have said, I think the biggest way to improve this isn't changing the ships, but giving incentive to build on the coast. Allowing quarters to build off of harbours again and giving them some chunky adjacency bonuses would mean that coasts were worth raiding and protecting. Combat ships should probably also be able to ransack coastal quarters and perform some form of naval blockade/siege - conquering cities wouldn't make much sense with the combat system, but if there was a stability/yield drain for enemy ships blockading your coast I'd definitely ignore naval less.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 2, 2021, 2:15:56 PM

Priorities

1. Allowing a ship to 'ransack' luxuries or any harbor building along the coast.

2. Without a weather system I think the movement speed is acceptable. But if you gave the boats all another 2 movement points per era but changed 'deep ocean' to 'open waters' - costs 3 movement ... I think you might be able to create maps that have ocean feeling spaces. Also then if you wanted you could just change Nordic to ignore the open water movement penalty. Now their boats are more on parity inland but vastly superior in open waters. Maybe give the Phoenician EU the same bonus - but still can't spend 2 turns in 'open waters'.

3. Vision should be variable. Along the coast it's limited - by geography as well - but when you are in open waters you can see further. Now one boat or even fleet can be used for recon!

4. Colonist units provide a bonus to any ship they are on negating the movement penalty to open waters. They've brought extra supplies for the journey and charted the best winds.

5. Most units are not sailors and should suffer a movement penalty and strength penalty in ship to ship combat. There was ranged combat between vessels for sure, but, it's not implemented well. I don't know that I see sailor as a type of unit, but, maybe a trait for some units. Maybe it's specific to some cultures, Phoenicians might be considered Sailors. 

6. Once your land unit's rigged together ship has been damaged enough to have a fire it can't attack and needs to make land fall or die a turn or two. 

7. Elephants maybe can't jury rig a boat.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 2, 2021, 2:18:10 PM

7. I mean maybe they can? I don't know I'm not an elephantologist but ... yes. You probably took my meaning.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 3, 2021, 2:47:10 AM
8roomsofelixir wrote:

- Some other ways to encourage players to build more quarters in the water or on the coast. For instance, give City Center an extra yield when on the coast (since it cannot exploit coastal waters), or to give a larger adjacency to Market and even Makers Quarters that are build next to a Harbor.

- Better Harbor infrastructures for increasing the costal yields, to encourage the player to invest the sea. For instance, give Harbor a bit larger money yield from the water tiles, to encourage player build cities on the coast specialized in money making.

- Early naval Units can ignore closed borders on water, until the borders are closed by a later Era tech - in order to buff the effectiveness of early costal exploration.

- Certain naval units can ransack land-based Quarters directly on the coast.

- Certain naval units can increase the movement of embarked land units when formed in an army.

- Beginning from Early Modern, long range naval units can receive "Bombardment" trait, so they can bombard quarters from ocean as a form of long range support fire.

- During a war, naval units can "blockade" an enemy Harbor. It can be achieved via "parking a naval unit next to enemy Harbor can deny the Harbor from receiving yields or give the city a stability hit" or similar.

- Make early naval units a bit faster. Naval movement was faster than land movement before railway, and navies were acted as a rapid response force since very early in the human history; while currently, the only way to buff early naval movement is to pick Norse in Medieval and built Great Lighthouse, both are fairly limited/railroaded choices. I would suggest increase early and Medieval naval units' movements from 4 to 5, Transport Ships from 2 to 4, Caravel from 3 to 5, and Langskip from 3 to 4 (since it now benefits from Norse LT).

Absolutely!! At least naval units' movement should be faster than movement of land units, except for cavalry/mounted units. In reality sailing ship is faster than moving by foot anyway.

Regarding early modern era or later eras, I think it would be nice to have naval units with bombardment traits or long range like that of a mortar unit. This can buff naval gameplay significantly, since defending coastal territories or cities would require naval units to counter enemies' long range barrages. 

Plus, it is also possible to give naval units a special ability, which, when joined into army with land-unit-transporting vessels, allow them to ignore the movement point of transporting vessels. In this way, players would find naval units much more valuable: protecting scouting land units and make the journey a bit faster.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 3, 2021, 5:57:36 AM

I have not seen an AI constructed warsip yet (played two games till the end and explored the settled regions completely)

It is unclear to me how long a ship can survive out on deep sea: a clear indication would be helpful especially when this value changes

Non-gunpoweder ships cannot attack land targets - suggest to allow them to attack as well and increase their range to 2 so that they are not sitting and looking useless in tactical battles :) They can still have shorter range then base archers and aroun same damage but need to be able to do something

Naval trade routes have not been created on my games - this is absolutely needed to make inldand seas interesting. Establishing and then protecting (raiding other) trade routes should be a mayor focus point of naval combat

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 3, 2021, 6:00:32 AM

I held off reviewing naval combat until I was able to engage a significant engagement, but the chances of that are slim. 

Some key differences between Lucy and Victor are increased ranged for EM ships, improved navigator trait(s), and generic harbor limitations. The increased range for EM ships was sorely needed to be competitive vs. land units with smaller weaponry (yet longer range). The inclusion of skilled navigator and the extended time navigator provides is great for early exploration in. 

The decrease in number to total harbors further reduces the usefulness of a navy as ransacking targets were already in short supply. The inclusion of more coastal luxuries (ambergris) and strategic resources (oil) were quite welcome.. 

Another limitation imposed upon naval units in Victor (intended or not) was the inability to engage with fleets on different types of water tile. Fleets on deep ocean could not start an engagement with fleets in coastal waters and visa versa. Such a limitation can lead to cheesy tactics such as splitting fleets to cover all coastal terrain to prevent an engagement. 

8roomsofelixir wrote:

- Allow more Harbor to be built in one territory, while also give a limitation. For instance, allow extra Harbor capacity after unlock certain later technologies, while keeping the maximum number of Harbors per territory about 3-4. EQ Harbors count towards this limit as well.

- Some other ways to encourage players to build more quarters in the water or on the coast. For instance, give City Center an extra yield when on the coast (since it cannot exploit coastal waters), or to give a larger adjacency to Market and even Makers Quarters that are build next to a Harbor.

Harbors can already become quite efficient for food (compared to farmers quarters) in the early eras, but players don't seem to realize that harbors can exploit science as well. With each culture able to exploit coastal science, they could drastically help their ancient research times. Perhaps the amount of coastal tiles with science is not adequate enough for players to justify an early harbor. 

As a note, the only defining trait of the Phoenician Bireme (23 str) is its navigation trait as the Mycenaean's LT and Hittite LT provide their fleets with just as much Str.  

8roomsofelixir wrote:
- Beginning from Early Modern, long range naval units can receive "Bombardment" trait, so they can bombard quarters from ocean as a form of long range support fire.

As naval units cannot start an engagement with land units or begin sieging a city, they entirely dependent on land units to be marginally effective. A "limited" bombardment trait (reduced to 1 or 2 range w/o splash) for Early Modern (and up) combat ships (not transports) could solve some of there inherent issues naval units have when engaging land or cites close to the water. This would allow naval units to begin weakening adjacent fortifications and units in preparation for further combat. 

Cities and units under attack from the water demands a response from players which is likely to be constructing their own naval units. This sort of stimulus is needed to ensure players close to the water will make harbors and naval units. Otherwise, naval gameplay is entirely optional as the damages will be rather limited to a couple luxuries, 1-2 oil, and a few harbors which is likely to be a miniscule fraction of a players worth. 

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 3, 2021, 7:26:24 AM

Guys, is it a bug or feature that after discovering Great Blue Hole every single coastal tile starts proviing +4 science? Seems really weird

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 3, 2021, 7:52:48 AM
AndreyP wrote:

Guys, is it a bug or feature that after discovering Great Blue Hole every single coastal tile starts proviing +4 science? Seems really weird

That is the Legacy Trait of the Joseon Culture (+4 science on coastal tiles & lake tiles). It is quite good for picking up tons of science especially so with multiple harbors in each territory (via EQs). 

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 3, 2021, 3:27:22 PM
RNGZero wrote:
AndreyP wrote:

That is the Legacy Trait of the Joseon Culture (+4 science on coastal tiles & lake tiles). It is quite good for picking up tons of science especially so with multiple harbors in each territory (via EQs). 

If someone were to substitute "overpowered" for "quite good", I wouldn't argue with them.  I like the science-from-coast idea - much better than +X% - but the amount of science seems a bit much relative to other sources.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 3, 2021, 5:16:20 PM

Unfortunately I never really got to experience much with naval gameplay.  At first I didn't realize I even needed a harbor (which is admittedly pretty silly of me), and I was confused when I could not figure out how to build caravels.

Now that I understand about troop transports, the idea sounds great!  Embarked units are often overlooked in other games, so that they can provide their own defense and offense reduces the overhead needed to get into the ocean game.  I never got to experiment much with trade routes, so I don't know how they work.  Whether it's because the game ended too soon for AI to exploit the ocean, or my lack of push into generating money, I never saw a reason to go strongly into navy.  Historically, it seems like countries really started investing in navies as a combination of trade (managing trade routes) and defense (of trade routes and new colonies).  I did not see a good way to raid trade routes or "coastal" cities/harbors in game, so I saw no benefit to building strictly naval units.  Maybe if these trade routes were emphasized more, especially between cities with luxury resources, there could be more reason for building up raiders/defensive navies in-game.

I did travel to the new world (and was the first to do so).  The concept of the settler unit really intrigues me, as I feel like in other similar games it always seems to be the oldest cities that were my best.  That you can give a boost to building new cities is definitely a good idea.  I'm personally hoping that as we progress into later eras, it gets significantly harder to control some of these "colonies" without heavy investment.  Something like that could even allow you to temporarily imbalance the game (via money/trade) only to later "punish" for distant colonies to bring balance back.  Seems like it could be a fun (and potentially infuriating) concept to me!

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 3, 2021, 5:50:04 PM

I must admit that I really did not use navy, because I felt it would be rather useless.

But I can still give a bit of feedback about harbours: the ability to construct harbours everywhere and not other districts made harbours something you build wherever there is the most food, only to forget about them just after. They feel really disconnected from the rest of your city, which seems weird given their historical role. I think that forcing their integration into the city (removing the free placement of the harbour or allowing you to build districts next to it) would be a good thing.

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
3 years ago
May 4, 2021, 7:38:23 AM

- I was disappointed to see the AI build no ships at all  until early modern era. I had two wars in my runthrough and I had no fight on sea at all. There wasn't even a goal for me to attack.

- I used the boats for exploration and unveiled most of the map. But I couldn't get the exploration fame bonuses and I don't understand why.

- I didn't understand why sometimes autoexplore worked just fine and sometimes it automatically switched off autoexplore.

- I like the feature that you can move to deep waters but the limit grows with better ships and better tech researched.

conclusion: I think naval gameplay needs some improvement yet. AI needs to build more ships at least in a sea-rich map, Maybe allow going through ennemy coastal territoriy even if you don't have open borders but causing greavances by doing so.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 4, 2021, 8:04:03 AM

I did not get a chance to thoroughly explore naval gameplay, as I was much more focussed on other things and before I knew it the game was ending in 25 turns. I did however, spend a long time in my first playthrough trying to work out just how to embark units. The tooltip was telling me I did not have a required technology, but it would be helpful to see what technology that was. When you scroll to the technology in the tech tree, its not glaringly evident that the transport ship is the tech that unlocks embarkment; I was under the impression this was a unit, but all the playthroughs I'd watched the units just automatically embarked. I suggest either changing the transport ship to just text rather than an image so it doesn't look like another unit AND definitely making it so that the movement blocked tooltip IDENTIFIES the missing tech. Thankyou so much for the opportunity to test this game I am very keen.

0Send private message
3 years ago
May 4, 2021, 1:36:22 PM

A more complete feedback from my end after two playthroughs (one on hard, one on very hard). An avid CIV player, I cannot not benchmark Humankind against it.

Overall

1. it's alright
  2. it's serviceable
  3. I don't feel like Russell Crowe in Master and Commander (which, for me personally, is a pity)

Feedback

1. if naval combat should be a priority in the grand scheme of OpenDev feedback epics and user stories, consider sprucing it up by making it distinct from land combat:
    - positioning and manoeuvring should play a larger role during combat. Ships aren't able to turn 90 degrees on the dot, much less 180. This would provide another point of differentiation for cultures, as more manoeuvrable ships could use less movement points in order to get into position, for example.
    - following the above, broadsides, front and rear cannons, etc, would come into play.
    - ship boarding should be a thing as well.
  2. four movement points for a cog feels unnecessarily restrictive. Should be at least 5.
  3. stowed units should not get lost at sea.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message