Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Feedback from someone who didn't play previous opendev

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
May 2, 2021, 8:54:16 PM

I didn't find a location for some of my feedback and since some of the feedback is connected to other things I though I'd create a new thread for my thoughts on the Victor opendev.

Game speed:

I feel that the Ancient and Classical eras are too short. I didn't feel like I ever actually played with, for example, the Egyptian culture. By the time I started placing down the Emblematic Quarters I was already being prompted to enter the next era. The same happened to a lesser extent with the Classical era, but after that I felt that it started to slow down. I know that I can delay going to the next era, or keep the same culture, and I'll discuss that next.

Culture changes:

When you get to the 7 stars required to enter the next era there is almost no reason to keep your previous culture. The benefits you reap from the change outweigh almost any desire to stay as a single culture. The second problem is collecting more Fame after you reach the 7 stars, if you want your pick of the cultures you need to act swiftly and more forward, I like the hard choice of picking whether to go forward or to stay back, but again everything seems to favor going on. The better fame rewards on the next era are a big bonus compared to the diminishing rewards from the current era. All and all I felt pressured to push forward all the time and I think this might need some more balancing.

Influence:

At the beginning influence is your most important resource, but as the era's progressed it became obsolete. I had 100k influence a few times, but nothing to spend it on. I felt like there should have been something to use the influence, which brings me to my next point.

Spreading your culture:

I spread my culture to about 70% of the continent before the AI to my east started to spread theirs and reduced my coverage to around 45% of the continent. I felt exited and was thinking about all the ways I might be able to exploit the spread. To my dismay it didn't do anything. I had no options, no buttons to press and the culture did absolutely nothing. It was a big letdown.

Spreading of your religion:

This felt somewhat the same as above with the culture. With religion I had things to pick and gained bonuses for holy sites and and regions under my religions influence. There might have been more, but then something happened.

Explanations on UI:

A lot of the time things that I were doing were unclear to me, attitudes changing and repercussions of my picked civics were usually completely obscure. I had a dominating religion covering almost everything I could see, and I picked a civic... I was sure the atheism would destroy my religion, but to my dismay the other option also stopped me from interacting with religion. The UI needs more information on why an attitude was changed, why I can't do something, etc.

Expanding my city:

I liked the mechanics of city building with one exception, after my city reaches an exploited node, the node should become a part of my city. Now exploiting horses next to your city might block you from expanding in one direction because you can't build beyond the horse resource even when you have 2 other districts next to it. If I'm not mistaken the same issue was there for forts and wonders. I understand that you should not be able to start building districts from a fort you placed miles away from your city, but after your districts reach a far away location it should become embedded into your city and enable you to expand from it.

Diplomacy:

Diplomacy was simplistic, a few times I hoped for more gradual options and deeper alliances. That being said, I did really enjoy the diplomacy in the game, the little chats between leaders were a perfect little thing on the diplomacy screen. I also enjoyed the changing diplomatic climate and even though I didn't understand why they turned aggressive sometimes I like the descriptive words you used to indicate what they feel towards my culture.

UI:

Please give me an option to change all references from cultures to colors of the faction. I could not keep tract which culture changed to which and following the notifications that the Huns are angry with me often left me confused. There might of course be a better way to track it, but that one was something that popped into my head.

Second thing is that you need to normalize the function of the right mouse button, many times I tried closing a menu, only to issue an order to a selected unit. Either it always shuts down any open menu or it doesn't changing the function only when a unit is selected felt terrible. I think the right mouse is a good back button, and the only one to issue move orders, but closing menus should take precedent over issuing unit orders.

Combat:

I enjoyed combat and I don't have any immediate things that I feel like you could improve on.

Independent peoples:

I felt that there should have been some more interplay with the smaller factions, now it was just me pumping a few gold into it and then converting it to mine in a very short amount of time.

I think that sums up what I experienced so far, I'm really exited to see more. I had already decided not to buy Humankind, but I saw a youtuber playing the Victor opendev, and decided to give it a go. I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm glad you delayed the game, and I hope the last few months of development go well.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment