Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Victor Open Beta Summary.

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
May 13, 2021, 1:55:40 PM

I don't know that I can specifically link to all the good idea's I've read or some of the more ambitious idea's I've had. In particular this potentially excessive write up on the religion system which I'm still thinking about. I think it's safe to say there is a lot of interest in this game. I'm quite happy to see the gameplay has advanced both in difficulty and depth. The infrastructures and districts feel relatively distinct and I look forward to seeing how their interplay plays out in a full game. While iteration still has flaws there is a decidedly good amount of potential. My favorite thing is definitely the way that with enough familiarity (for me it was about 4 games) I started to look to ascension as a good time to pivot, either to match the political situation on the continent, or, to benefit my culture. Once or twice it was simply to try a new culture that was different enough in focus to help me get some easier 'fame' stars. 

I really like the Fame system as opposed to a 'score' and also look forward to exploring it in the full game. It's nice that there were more events. It's also nice that I can see where you've tried to meet the suggestions and over all gestalt of the community. The diplomacy stuff is coming along nicely it seemed better and a bit clearer than in Lucy Dev (discounting the city name stuff) but I tend to agree with the majority of players that to get a vassal you should probably need to be either an expansionist or have taken their capital.

I feel like the most consistent annoyance was the UI. It's an old complaint by now but I'd love to get some specific feed back as to work planned or work done to make that easier to use and more coherent. Also please take another pass through the unit ability unlocks in the tech tree - to make sure each unique ability has an icon and a tooltip.

Making sure the game is stable and functions well in multiplayer may be critical to avoiding a negative launch back lash. One thing I can say to emphasis this is that I feel like Humankind allows you to pivot strategies more than any other 4X out there. With all the potential for variation a definite priority should be making sure all of the gameplay orientations are appealing (thoughts on that next). But I'm pretty sure that's my number on interest in this game. All these long conversations in Discord have made me really curious to play in a game with certain people who can complete all of the Victor Dev stars >.> 

Scientist / Builder suggestion. Already been seen, here for completeness. https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/169-game-design/threads/40276-alternative-building-science-modes-graduated?page=1#post-317165
Expansionist suggestion. Already been seen, here for completeness. https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/169-game-design/threads/39909-expansionist-thoughts

I had a completely bizarre thought about Expansionists. What if it had nothing to do with territories and instead had to do with resources that you control or owned. I think the focus would be on 'strategic' resources. But maybe just 'resources'. Not bought or trading for, but, controlled. In this way vassalage supports your expansionist cultures better. It also makes research feed into it as well as you can't control if you can't extract it. This might also make the Hanging Gardens a more interesting wonder if it's just a flat amount of resources owned. 

Militarist Buffs.

1. The military unit that you conscript is from the Era of the Military culture. Regardless if you have researched the technology. --> maybe as part of the ascension you unlock it for free.

2. Any conscripts remain in play - and don't lose health over time as if you had the Colossus of Rhodes. But they lose health more rapidly outside of your territories.

Finally the Neolithic period is pretty satisfying now but obviously needs some work. Both in game balance & the generic approach to animal units - perhaps a soft cap could be introduced as follows: for every new tribe created you have to gather an additional 5 food to make a new tribe. This increased cost caps out at 60 food. @Mausklickmoerder had an interesting suggestion that after ascending you only get to keep one full stack of tribes as friendly units and the rest become independents. Introducing an optimization limitation on ascending out of the Neolithic period.

Also I really hope that by launch most of the civics can be triggered by at least 2 different triggers and possibly a 3rd delayed technology unlock.

Oh. I almost forgot... my navel feedbacks. This is copy pasted from my comments on the Naval feedback, here again, for completeness.

Priorities

1. Allowing a ship to 'ransack' luxuries or any harbor building along the coast.
2. Without a weather system I think the movement speed is acceptable. But if you gave the boats all another 2 movement points per era but changed 'deep ocean' to 'open waters' - costs 3 movement ... I think you might be able to create maps that have ocean feeling spaces. It'd also make exploring. To match this change I would make it so that the Nordic LT is that they ignore the open water movement penalty. Now their boats are more on parity inland but vastly superior in open waters. Open waters would still be treacherous in earlier eras.
3. Vision should be variable. Along the coast it's limited - by geography as well - but when you are in open waters you can see further. Now one boat or even fleet can be used for recon! You might even move a trireme into open water putting it at risk, just for vision.
4. Colonist units provide a bonus to any ship they are on negating the movement penalty to open waters. They've brought extra supplies for the journey and charted the best winds.

5. Most units are not sailors and should suffer a movement penalty and strength penalty in ship to ship combat. There was ranged combat between vessels for sure, but, it's not implemented well. I don't know that I see sailor as a type of unit, but, maybe a trait for some units. Maybe it's specific to some cultures, Phoenicians might be considered Sailors. 

6. Once your land unit's rigged together ship has been damaged enough to have a fire it can't attack and needs to make land fall or die a turn or two. 

7. I disagree that ships should be able to make outpost - with the possible exception of the Phoenician boat. Now it does something completely 100% worth building it for. 

8. Elephants can't embark. They have to be transported.

Some good points from other users I can't remember if I upvoted or not.
https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/169-game-design/threads/40287-a-trend-with-industrial-age-gunpowder-units-that-i-d-like-more-depth-for?page=1#post-317217

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/169-game-design/threads/40074-a-solution-to-population-sacrifice?page=1 I would propose the following scaling - for every 'slave' used to finished a building your cities maximum stability decreases in that city by an amount (# ^ 2) for a number of turns equal to the number of populations sacrificed. So if you sacrifice, say 6 population in total to finish a wonder in a city ... the maximum stability that city will have next turn is 100 - (6 ^2) or 100 - 36 = 64%. With the maximum stability increasing over time in the opposite increments. 3 turns later the maximum stability in that city will be 100 - (4 ^2) or 100 - 16 = 84%.

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/169-game-design/threads/36301-proposal-to-rename-the-el-dorado-ability?page=1#post-297894
Also imho, "Lust for War" is badly named. It could be more generic... Warriors Lineage. Legacy of War. Fighting Forms. Da Original Jockular Bros Yo. (okay maybe not that last one)

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/169-game-design/threads/37712-suggestion-independant-poeples-having-preferred-units?page=1#post-305027

Is this a quirk or a bug: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/168-general/threads/40045-craters-on-the-map?page=1#post-316011 ? 

Updated 3 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment