Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

(Not) Filling out the tech tree

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Jun 17, 2021, 1:32:41 PM

In both of my playthroughs of the closed beta, I was unable to even get to the industrial era.  Is it just how I'm playing?  Science growth feels a bit too slow.  I want to be able to experience the later erasw and not have the game end beforehand.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 17, 2021, 1:41:39 PM

If you know exactly what you're doing and have a plan, you can get to the Industrial Era by turn 150 without going to war.

Otherwise, be a warmonger and get to the industrial era by turn 100, the killing X units stars is really easy to max out each era if you're always at war.

For the science problem, even in my best game where I focused heavily on science and I had twice the second player's science output, I couldn't get to the industrial era science... I think the turn limit is just too low. I've seen some people telling me they were able to finish the whole tech tree, but I see no way for it to be true.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 17, 2021, 2:09:15 PM
waven wrote:

If you know exactly what you're doing and have a plan, you can get to the Industrial Era by turn 150 without going to war.

Otherwise, be a warmonger and get to the industrial era by turn 100, the killing X units stars is really easy to max out each era if you're always at war.

For the science problem, even in my best game where I focused heavily on science and I had twice the second player's science output, I couldn't get to the industrial era science... I think the turn limit is just too low. I've seen some people telling me they were able to finish the whole tech tree, but I see no way for it to be true.

It's definitely possible to fill out the tech tree, I did it on my first try. You just need to set up a custom citizen policy to prioritize research (I do research>food>industry>money). That way your cities fill out their scientist slots before they slot anything else. You pretty much need to do this, because you can get food/industry from exploiting terrain but you can't rely on exploiting research.

To some extent, it's even possible to get there without building too many research quarters--you can do some later on when your stability is better, but you can lean on House of Scribes and Manuscript Atelier for quite some time. In the Early Modern, Joseon is just insane for research, pick it and build harbors + Seowons. That's probably the easiest and most straight-forward way to do it, there may be others I'm unaware of.

0Send private message
0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 17, 2021, 9:10:57 PM
magilzeal wrote:

It's definitely possible to fill out the tech tree, I did it on my first try. You just need to set up a custom citizen policy to prioritize research (I do research>food>industry>money). That way your cities fill out their scientist slots before they slot anything else. You pretty much need to do this, because you can get food/industry from exploiting terrain but you can't rely on exploiting research.

To some extent, it's even possible to get there without building too many research quarters--you can do some later on when your stability is better, but you can lean on House of Scribes and Manuscript Atelier for quite some time. In the Early Modern, Joseon is just insane for research, pick it and build harbors + Seowons. That's probably the easiest and most straight-forward way to do it, there may be others I'm unaware of.

I agree. You can't just build science districts or count on early era science cultures to get there. You need to ensure a steady flow of food to keep your population growing and enough production to build science infrastructure efficiently. That will move you faster along the tech tree than a single-minded focus on science will. Even so, you'll probably be lagging behind the era on the tech tree until you're into the early modern era.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 1:49:58 PM

Wel, I finally got up to Industrial era techs, but that was using a science-heavy strategy..  Still think science could be sped up a little bit.

0Send private message
3 years ago
Jun 21, 2021, 4:30:15 PM
magilzeal wrote:
waven wrote:

You're right, I just did my last game of the beta. I wanted to try a comment I've seen on another post saying that farmers are completely useless... and It worked. I've set my civilian priorities to science - industry - money - food. I picked industry civs until the Joseon and I was able to finish the whole tech tree....

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment