logo amplifiers simplified
Humankind
Universe banner wording

Unplayable on console

Copied to clipboard!
9 months ago
Aug 24, 2023, 3:04:20 PM

Playing on Xbox S

Everytime I want to place a district or move a unit - the cursor / highlighted segment jumps to the center of the map. This started around turn 150 and happens with EVERY SINGLE UNIT AND EVERY CITY ON EVERY TURN. 

I spent more time moving the highlighted segment to my own continent than actually playing the game. I haven't even explored that center segment so I have no idea why that would be the place highlighted. 

I tried deleting units that had the problem nothing helps so I  deleted the game. I've seen 20 to 40 other people with the same issue on Reddit. 

Seems like a cool game but someone maybe could have tested it before porting to console. 

Terrible experience but I guess you don't care as you already got that gamepass money. 

Just one more developer who doesn't give a damn about the user experience. 

2/10 I'll play Civ 

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 24, 2023, 3:24:10 PM

Also while I'm at it. 

You can not view what you unlock on the research screen.  You just have to guess what they might be by the tiny picture. When you finish research you get a pop up showing you what you unlock (the same two tiny pictures) but you still can not highlight of them. 

You also can not move the cursor to the left on the screen which displays what you need to do to unlock the stars. Again you just have to guess. 

0/10 now I think about it more 

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 24, 2023, 4:42:55 PM

I have the same issue with the highlighted segment/cursor, this is on Xbox Series X. Fix/workaround would be great.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 24, 2023, 8:11:29 PM
Higg wrote:

Also while I'm at it. 

You can not view what you unlock on the research screen.  You just have to guess what they might be by the tiny picture. When you finish research you get a pop up showing you what you unlock (the same two tiny pictures) but you still can not highlight of them. 

You also can not move the cursor to the left on the screen which displays what you need to do to unlock the stars. Again you just have to guess. 

There's a tooltip mode but the game doesn't exactly advertise it. On PlayStation you have to click the touchpad to toggle it. Not sure what the XBox equivalent would be, but you can view the controls from the settings menu on the title screen.

As you point out, not knowing this is virtually game breaking. This really needs to be in the tutorial. (Maybe around the point it tells you to go into the screen where you can see the star conditions?)

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 25, 2023, 12:49:43 AM

I also have this cursor issue (Xbox Series X) but it started on turn 3. I'm trying to tough through it because I know I like this game from playing on PC. But damn is it frustrating. I have to click right stick every time I jump to something like a nervous twitch. The tooltip mode is also just plain bad. I honestly would prefer just a stick controller cursor over what they gave us.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 25, 2023, 9:02:43 AM
Higg wrote:

Also while I'm at it. 

Use the 'View' button on your Xbox controller (the overlapping square) to enter 'Tooltip mode' and you can highlight any portion of the screen even the tiny icons in the research tree. Took me some time to figure out myself and finally saw the function in Settings > Controls. 

Maybe starting the game with the console-specific UI/UX tutorial before diving into the Gameplay tutorial would eliminate this frustration many were having it seems.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 25, 2023, 12:22:45 PM
LuccaDSoupLie wrote:
Higg wrote:

Also while I'm at it. 

Use the 'View' button on your Xbox controller (the overlapping square) to enter 'Tooltip mode' and you can highlight any portion of the screen even the tiny icons in the research tree. Took me some time to figure out myself and finally saw the function in Settings > Controls. 

Maybe starting the game with the console-specific UI/UX tutorial before diving into the Gameplay tutorial would eliminate this frustration many were having it seems.

Thanks for taking the time to reply friend. 

I am aware of the tooltip button. I press this and it brings up a short cryptic paragraph about the tech but not the unlocks. If I try to highlight the individual unlocks on each tech by pressing down it auto selects the tech below.

Games like FM give you the option to switch between cursor and the janky console box highlighting nonsense that developers seem to love would fix it

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 26, 2023, 8:30:47 PM

I’m on PS5 and have noticed a fair few glitches with pop-ups and the UI behaving badly, it feels a little undercooked at the moment to be honest. I haven’t encountered anything game breaking yet but it doesn’t feel like testing has been finished before its has been released.

A little disappointed but fingers crossed things are resolved soon.

EDIT I’ve had a bit more game time and it’s been a super frustrating experience, units disappearing, avatar changing, tutorial pop-ups restarting on an established save game, pop-ups flickering in and out, pop ups fighting for focus, and on it goes. The control system is also a bit dubious and doesn’t feel all that intuitive in comparison to other games of its ilk, even the camera positioning is really odd.

I love the game but the (current) console implementation isn’t a great experience.

Updated 9 months ago.
0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 27, 2023, 2:02:16 PM
NulEnvoid wrote:
EDIT I’ve had a bit more game time and it’s been a super frustrating experience, units disappearing, avatar changing, tutorial pop-ups restarting on an established save game, pop-ups flickering in and out, pop ups fighting for focus, and on it goes. The control system is also a bit dubious and doesn’t feel all that intuitive in comparison to other games of its ilk, even the camera positioning is really odd.

I don't know what happen, but all this crap hit me last night, right now the game is a complete mess.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 27, 2023, 10:22:25 PM

Yeah, just finished my first game, and the UI is definitely glitchy. Like when you put the cursor on something in your build queue and 8 times of ten it jumps back to an item to build, unless you ninja click it.

Or having the main plaza help popup obscure most of the screen at inappropriate moments (and you can't easily dismiss it, without skipping something else).

Or the way you don't seem to be able to properly dismiss notifications so there's always a bouncing yellow icon so you just start ignoring it and then miss important notifications.

It's frustrating because there is a good game in there, but the UI seems to be fighting you the whole way.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 28, 2023, 9:15:07 AM

Hello all!

We are in the process of investigating the issue with the cursor jumping to the center of the map.

For the other UI issues, I've passed them on to the rest of the team as well. A number of these are already in our database.

Thank you for all the reports!

Updated 9 months ago.
0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 28, 2023, 8:45:30 PM

Game crashes at turn 366. Can't do anything.

Some game mechanics are vague and not made clear.

There are really too many issues with this game. Should have spent more time in QA. Game UI creates unneeded churn trying to see tiny squares, not being able to see what you are doing. Accidentally doing things trying to dismiss tutorial windows. Audio gets buggy and sometimes just cuts out randomly during the game. Cursor jumps to the middle of the screen after everything you do. Can't actually dismiss notifications causing you to miss new ones.

Going back to playing Civ until I hear of a major update occuring. The game is trying to be good just so many issues. 

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 28, 2023, 8:54:14 PM

I also started getting the cursor jump of death at around turn 150. Quit the game and reloaded and it fixed it for a few turns then came right back. Playing on XBOX Series X/S. I agree with the others there is a good game under the clunky UI and the bugs. For sure my kind of thing but bummed about the inability to finish this game. Here is what I hate about the UI and controls.

When you get important notifications you can't click on that you have to hit B to get it off your screen because the beginning of the turn you control the last unit you had control of the previous turn. I figured out how to manually find out where to find Wonders and Culture but this was a real pain. It would be nice if you had a full list of important things to get to each turn that you could easily see. The controls to tell units to move are generally clunky and inconsistent. It seems to have a mind of it's own and half the time I am just fighting with this mechanic. Was in a huge battle and somehow accidentally told all of my archers to skip a whole turn. Battle lost! I kind of dig this combat compared to civ but sheesh the controls make it super annoying. 

Like a lot about the game so it's not all bad. Many of the concepts are pretty cool for this type of game. Like Civ but in some ways more detailed. The combat once I got the hang of it was a lot of fun. I was looking forward to how air units would work etc but the bug got me while I still had swordsman and knights. 

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 29, 2023, 7:38:37 AM
Ibedaman wrote:

Game crashes at turn 366. Can't do anything.

Some game mechanics are vague and not made clear.

There are really too many issues with this game. Should have spent more time in QA. Game UI creates unneeded churn trying to see tiny squares, not being able to see what you are doing. Accidentally doing things trying to dismiss tutorial windows. Audio gets buggy and sometimes just cuts out randomly during the game. Cursor jumps to the middle of the screen after everything you do. Can't actually dismiss notifications causing you to miss new ones.

Going back to playing Civ until I hear of a major update occuring. The game is trying to be good just so many issues. 

Hi @Ibedaman

So we can try to investigate these issues, can you tell us which platform are you playing on? Thank you!

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 29, 2023, 11:11:03 PM
LuccaDSoupLie wrote:
Higg wrote:

Also while I'm at it. 

The game references tutorials existing when playing on console and tells you where to find them, but in my case, when you go, there is nothing. The menu option referenced is not under Extras at all. So naturally one turns to YouTube where everything is understandably geared towards playing on a computer. It's difficult to find the information outside the game, and the game doesn't give it. I'm still new and like it a lot, but this aspect of it is infuriating.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 29, 2023, 11:14:34 PM
Ibedaman wrote:

Accidentally doing things trying to dismiss tutorial windows. 

YES! It is frustrating as hell that the background isn't blocked for that.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 30, 2023, 6:40:03 AM

PS5 here. Love the game so far but what I’m consistently having problems with is when I load the game all my settings and profile character has been reset and it starts out like the very first time I loaded the game with the tutorial options etc. It’s getting pretty annoying to create my character again and again and change my settings back to how I like them. 

0Send private message
9 months ago
Aug 31, 2023, 4:55:45 PM
Bdub7800 wrote:

PS5 here. Love the game so far but what I’m consistently having problems with is when I load the game all my settings and profile character has been reset and it starts out like the very first time I loaded the game with the tutorial options etc. It’s getting pretty annoying to create my character again and again and change my settings back to how I like them. 

Hi Bdub7800, I'm on PS5 as well and have had this issue a few times. I believe the issue could be when using the "Continue Game" option on the PS5. Every time I have done that, it asks for me to select a tutorial option and asks to create an avatar, like you said. But when I choose the option "Play Game" from the PS5 UI screen, I have not had that issue. I'll need to test a few more times to actually make sure, but I think that might be the issue.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Sep 1, 2023, 10:37:29 PM
rkelvey wrote:
Bdub7800 wrote:

Hi Bdub7800, I'm on PS5 as well and have had this issue a few times. I believe the issue could be when using the "Continue Game" option on the PS5. Every time I have done that, it asks for me to select a tutorial option and asks to create an avatar, like you said. But when I choose the option "Play Game" from the PS5 UI screen, I have not had that issue. I'll need to test a few more times to actually make sure, but I think that might be the issue.

It may be different for everyone but mine tends to do it before you choose how to start your game, after the intro video. I just select no tutorials (which means I miss some later information) and reselect my avatar (which is at least fortunately a preset), then main menu and continue.

If there’s an easier way that’d be great, mine has done this a good 10-12 times on my current game. I have no idea how half of the issues got past QA and makes me worry for mechanics that aren’t as obvious.

0Send private message
9 months ago
Sep 3, 2023, 1:53:26 PM
Bdub7800 wrote:

Had this happen for the umpteenth time as I was planning to start a new game and I just can't face setting everything up again. I'm going to wait for a patch before playing again. It's hard to imagine how this came out in this state, nor how a patch for the issue is taking so long. It's not quite a game breaking bug, but it's seriously annoying if you spent any time at all customising your character.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message